> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 1 of 25, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Errmm...the game is fine (and fun in multiplayer with a friend) , but a movie will be absurd.... I mean shooting pigs in cop uniform? Or shooting other aliens? (Reminds me of the lukewarm DOOM movie.) But definitely there will be strippers and nudity, but making it so will have to compromise the viewership extending to teens.

Anything after Nuke Nukem 3D is jinxed.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 2 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

John Cena as Duke Nukem, is like Arnold Swarzenegger started doing standup 🤣

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 4 of 25, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squiggly wrote:

Is this an April fools joke that got out early?

Very possibly, but it could be genuine. I've just googled it and the 'news' is on a lot of websites. To quote from the first result:

"It’s time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I’m all out of gum. There’s a Duke Nukem movie coming, and wrestler John Cena is earmarked the play the titular hero.

He’s played a jarhead, a generic action hero, a cartoon bull, and even a wrestler, but now it looks like John Cena is set to play … another generic action hero.

Everyone’s least-favourite first-person shooter protagonist is getting his own film and it’s probably going to be very stupid. At least Cena will look the part, mind.

“We don’t have a script yet, so that is confirmed at this point but if he reads the script and he doesn’t like the script I’m sure there’s ways that he could pull out,” producer Andrew Form explains of Cena’s casting, via CinemaBlend. “But right now he’s our guy.”
"

Source https://www.vg247.com/2018/03/28/john-cena-duke-nukem-movie/

Doesn't sound exactly professional, does it? It's difficult to believe that a film's producer would admit “We don’t have a script yet", or say "...if [the star] reads the script and he doesn’t like the script I’m sure there’s ways that he could pull out,”. You'd think a producer of all people would know that it's important to make an upcoming production sound professional and of a very high quality, instead of making it sound like a half-hearted let's-make-a-film-if-we-can project that even if it succeeds won't be worth your time watching.

And the website's "Everyone’s least-favourite first-person shooter protagonist" line isn't fair, either. Some people no doubt like Duke Nukem's personality and character, and if in fact no one does, then a film about him isn't going to attract many viewers, is it? And as irritating and unlikeable as Duke would be in reality (though you'd have to admire his courage (or stupidity!), at least he does have a personality, unlike the protogonist in 95% of first peron games, where you play as mute nobody. So by definiton you can't dislike those protagonist, as there's nothing to dislike!

Even if this news turns out to be true, the film will probably be rubbish. But if the news is true, and the film turns out to be even fairly popular, then it might just lead to a new Duke Nukem game. So let's hope, fellow Duke game fans!

Last edited by Kerr Avon on 2018-03-28, 15:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 25, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They've should have asked Cliff from the LGR channel, he can immitate DN perfectly.

And Uwe Boll should direct, everyone knows that he is the only one capable of making good videogame adaptations.

Reply 7 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's "emulating" duke and then there's trying to match that macho fantasy build he has. John Cena was obviously picked for the latter.

Last edited by leileilol on 2018-03-29, 13:01. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 25, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote:

And the website's "Everyone’s least-favourite first-person shooter protagonist" line isn't fair, either. Some people no doubt like Duke Nukem's personality and character [...]

Scroll down a little and you get a hint -- it's because Duke is 'sexist'. For certain people it's vital to convince themselves that everyone shares their opinions; the idea is, if they say so often enough, perhaps their echo-chamber might make it true. Kind of like certain pre-historic beliefs that if you ritually wet yourself often enough, the rain will come. 😁

That's not to say a Duke movie isn't a singularly terrible idea, because it is, but the reasons are much simpler...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 10 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't care for the Duke character all that much as he's toxic masculinity personified (i'm one of those who play with Duke Talk OFF). I only played Duke3D for the heretic mechanics

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 25, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think I've ever played an FPS with a storyline so captivating it could potentially spawn a watchable movie, and part of that has to do with the fact that there's probably an already existing film offering more or less the same thing. I've got 2 in the back of my head right now, and I'm only talking Duke.

Now, if they were shooting for a Shadow Warrior movie with 97' Lo Wang (not this generic character from the unofficial sequels), that I'd eager to watch just for the kicks 😎

Reply 12 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Spec Ops The Line would make a hell of a movie IMO but its technically a TPS..

I suppose System Shock could qualify..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Errmm...the game is fine (and fun in multiplayer with a friend) , but a movie will be absurd.... I mean shooting pigs in cop uniform?

Perhaps the movie could be made into an excellent action-adventure-comedy ala The Mummy series. After all, it's all in the execution.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 14 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Malik wrote:

Errmm...the game is fine (and fun in multiplayer with a friend) , but a movie will be absurd.... I mean shooting pigs in cop uniform?

Perhaps the movie could be made into an excellent action-adventure-comedy ala The Mummy series. After all, it's all in the execution.

I don't know about that..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19 of 25, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmmmm Duke as a movie ? Oh well, it seems to me that Hollywood has ran out of ideas. Rampage was another game made into a movie with The Rock. And Duke having a toxic masculine personality, seriously what a load of overly political correct and over sensitive SJW bollocks ! People could just as well go after Shadow Warrior with its tongue in cheek humour too. Sometimes I feel that people do not get that, sexism racism and stuff like that, goes both ways. I used to run with the crowd like that, and bloody hell, men were oppressed. And this comes from a guy who is against racism, sexism etc.

What is next, going after the late Georg Carlin ?

Both games , Duke 3D and SW were made in the 90s and they were fun . Give me a hairy vulva and a cigarette, and I am fine for the rest of the evening.