• sram_shipping.jpg
    Filename
    sram_shipping.jpg
    File size
    31.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 21 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. It arrived, finally! 😁

Attachments

• sram.jpg
    Filename
    sram.jpg
    File size
    988.33 KiB
    Views
    File license

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. I'll do the final wiring in a few days.. Stay tuned. 😀

Edit: Got a little casket to keep the parts safe. ^^

Attachments

• casket_parts.jpg
    Filename
    casket_parts.jpg
    File size
    274.45 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. Sorry to keep you waiting. 😅 I'm still working on this project.
At the moment, I'm looking for the special cables I need.

You know, these arduino cables with inverted pins. I can buy them for ~8€ at my local electronics store..
However, my father likes to order them for less via Amazon.. So I have to wait for a while.

In case you wonder why I need them, here's a a little sketch I made:

Attachments

• wiring.skd.png
    Filename
    wiring.skd.png
    File size
    52.04 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. The wires are ordered. Expected arrival ~Wednesday.
Edit: Still waiting.. They weren't ordered via Prime, I'm afraid, so it will take a little longer.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2018-04-26, 23:18. Edited 1 time in total.

//My video channel//

Reply 25 of 66, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ibmapc wrote:

I've ordered plenty from Mouser without an account. Just check out as a guest. For me, the soldering of the SMD parts would be most challenging. I've done it, but I always struggle correcting Solder bridges.

Solder paste/flux works wonders for being able to keep the bridges from happening in the first place.... and a very fine tip soldering iron.

If bridges do happen, tinning the soldering iron tip, then putting a bit of paste on the bridge and then melting the solder with the iron, enough solder should lift right off onto the iron to eliminate the bridge.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. I've added a few caps with 10⁻⁷ C/V each.

Attachments

• caps_a.jpg
    Filename
    caps_a.jpg
    File size
    190.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • caps_b.jpg
    Filename
    caps_b.jpg
    File size
    958.31 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 27 of 66, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

I'm curious. Why? premade cards are very common. I'm assuming this is intentionally a pet project?

Well, I don't think there's a better outcome for any system than common people being able to replicate it's parts that many years into their obsolescence without having to resort to equally legacy components no longer being manufactured. Keep in mind that these "premade cards" won't be around forever (and some of them won't even survive a baking)

Most of the stuff he's using I've seen on the shelves, yet some of it I have not for a while (that doesn't mean they aren't readily available somewhere else, though), but needless to say, it's quite a beautiful and ultimately noble project which I'm very happy to hear about 😎

Reply 28 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks a lot! 😁 I'll continue posting news about the project. At the moment, I'm still waiting for the cables for the card's headers.
- My father ordered them from China I'm afraid, so it will take about a week until they are here. Let's say next weekend.
I'll post then again in this thread and give feedback. 😀

//My video channel//

Reply 30 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm glad you do, I'll post again as soon as there are some news to tell! 😀

//My video channel//

Reply 31 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. Today, I got a few components in the mail. Some logic chips for our frequency counter..
I also finished my ATtiny project (clip). Unfortunately, the cables my father ordered weren't with them. 😢
- I think I'll buy them about next week locally in a store. I'll give feedback then. Sorry again, to keep you wainting.

//My video channel//

Reply 32 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. The cables didn't arrive yet, but my father promised to check the shipping status on Amazon.
Technically, they should arrive any moment. I'll report back in ~2 days.

//My video channel//

Reply 33 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. Amazon status is "on the way", whatever that means. I hope the cables will arrive tomorrow.
If not, I'll buy them locally next week. I'll post back tomorrow.

//My video channel//

Reply 34 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. Sorry to keep you waiting, I was busy working on the MDA hack in the other thread. 😅
Just want you to know this project is still alive. I'll continue in a few days.

//My video channel//

Reply 35 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:

Sorry to keep you waiting. [..] Just want you to know this project is still alive.

//My video channel//

Reply 36 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello everyone, I apologize for letting you wait for so long. Project status : Pawsed *mew*.
shinymewcute.gif

This project isn't dead, but other things have caught my attention. I have to take care for my father for a while.
He can't leave bed for a while and I've got to help him from time to time, which can be quite stressing.
That's why my concentration isn't good enough to finish the card here at the moment.
Expect me to continue on this project in about a month or so, maybe two.

//My video channel//

Reply 38 of 66, by ibmapc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote:

Where can I get some of those ISA breadboards! 😁

If you look closely, it's a standard proto-board with the edge portion of an ISA board attached. Only thing that concerns me with this so far, is the solder on the edge connector contacts is drooping quite far down toward the edge and could cause problems with the ISA socket on the motherboard.

Greg

Reply 39 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Small update. This project is not abandoned yet, just paused until I solved some personal challenges here.
I'll continue working on it in ~one or two months, I think. 😀

ibmapc wrote:

If you look closely, it's a standard proto-board with the edge portion of an ISA board attached. Only thing that concerns me with this so far, is the solder on the edge connector contacts is drooping quite far down toward the edge and could cause problems with the ISA socket on the motherboard.

That's both correct. I made some tests with ISA backplanes and an old 486 motherboard and physical compatibility is err.. on the borderline. 😉
Maybe a real 8-Bit slot is more forgiving, not sure. Unlike modern ISA slots, the old edge connectors were components-off-the-shelf.
So maybe they have better build quality or slightly different specs, not sure. I guess I've got to wait and find out.

//My video channel//