VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 240 of 1030, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ironically some big "don't copy Windows" Linux distros and WMs do chase the modern Windows gimmicks while not having 9X-minimum functionality. We've seen this in the very Vista-inspired (and loathed at launch) KDE4.

Windows derailed towards a 'tablet' UI since 8 though...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 241 of 1030, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To whom may concern, I’ve been on #Vogons (irc.slashdot.org) at times last week and I plan to appear a bit more. Hopefully, the channel will gain more traction with more usage.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 242 of 1030, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOS on sata
A few years ago I bought an old pc at a thrift store.
I stripped it for parts but it was from the tansition era from pata to sata drives and it had a pata to sata converter board installed.I found it buried in the closet and decided to give it a try.I had to change the power connector (wrong sex) to one that would plug into the pc power supply.Used dos 7.10 fdisk to get rid of the 2 partitions.Laptop sata I was using for osx86 experiments.That went fine making 1 dos partition but format wouldn't format.Kept getting invalid media type.Had to use a partition manager I have for win7 to get fat32 on it.After booting a few times I was able to get sys :c on it and it boots dos 7.10 standalone.Faster than pata for sure.Have wolf3d and redneck on it now along with xtreegold of course.
Live cd with win7 so I can talk about it here on the same pc now.

Reply 243 of 1030, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last week same pc but dos 7.10 on a pata drive 10gig partition 40 gig drive.
Got dos on fine.Win7 starter version on the remainder which made a reserved partition and the main ntfs partition for win 7.
But it put all the boot files on the c: drive so it would boot windows but ignore dos.Tried easybcd manager to get it to boot dos and win7 which it did but disabled the floppy in dos. I deleted all windows related boot files in c: and used the win7 dvd to repair startup.It then put all the boot files on the main ntfs partition.Boot dos fine.Used grub4dos and edited menu.lst to get the win7,dos choices.grub.exe in config .sys so no other involvement.Had to tweak win7 so I could see the fat32 drive.Win7 didn't give it a drive letter til I did it manually.I can play games in dos then boot win7 to get on the net.

Reply 244 of 1030, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOS 7.10 on cf card
256meg lexar cf card with the usb logo on the back
usb capable so it takes a more primitive adapter
I had to use rufus in win7 to format and make bootable,
then I put the chinese dos 7.10 on.
On my shuttle ab45s014 mainboard I am limited to usb 1.0
so dos is very sluggish and sometimes fail on int 24
on a laptop usb2.0 works fine,but no sound.
I need a dos usb ehci driver instead of uhci
then I can proceed to the smart media tests (8 meg smart media from an old camera).

Reply 246 of 1030, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Omg Max Payne! I need to play this game again

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 248 of 1030, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been testing an experimental wrapper/GUI for qemu on iOS devices, named UTM (https://getutm.app), so far it kinda works, I've set up a Windows 2000 VM. There is network, but no sound and many things are still missing (remember, it's experimental). Not even support for smart keyboard cover. But looks promising.

I've also been searching for other options. I have iDOS2/DOSPad (whatever is the name) installed on my iPad running MSDOS 6.22 and Windows 3.x. No networking. However iDOS 2 needs to be heavily updated for iOS 13 and beyond, I've tried to compile it myself but it's full of bugs and errors, I'm unable to make a clean IPA to install. (https://github.com/litchie/dospad). If it worked like dosbox-x, with NE2000 patch, would be an amazing piece of art and the best option ever for things before Windows NT builds.

Another good option would be iBox 2.6.8 (based on Bochs), but like DOSPad, requires updates to iOS 13 UI. (https://github.com/KyujuuAlpha/iBox-2).

I'm placing my bets on UTM, if it gets sound and other devices support so I can use my Windows 2K VM on my iPad Pro 1st gen.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 249 of 1030, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered another 78" heavy duty shelving unit since they were only $135 shipped. Got it put up and already putting it to use. These things are awesome.. 10 minute assembly and they hold a crapload.

AdLdmkf.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 250 of 1030, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ate my weight in donuts, watched cartoons, and played the hell outta Street Fighter V. It was a quality Saturday.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 251 of 1030, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Slept for half of the day, ate some food, watched Resende FC 1x1 CR Vasco da Gama for the Rio de Janeiro State Championship, was a terrible game. Hopefully "El Clásico" tomorrow will be better (real madrid vs BARCELONA). Now I am trying to put some new logos and kits for the Football Manager 2020 Mobile game on my iPhone. And finding things to do with my virtual machines tonight.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 252 of 1030, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shovelled 10 inches of snow off the driveway and sidewalk. Really cold weekend for mid March. Last three days were around -22 c. Brr 🥶

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 253 of 1030, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally finished setting up a lga 775 Acer matx desktop. HDD has a stuck head, so swapped a crappy 160gb laptop drive in. Finally got a lowend gaming setup for my little cousin now.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 254 of 1030, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Applying for jobs left and right (unemployment train) since late February.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 255 of 1030, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spending hours and hours with Apple Support to complain about my Apple Music subscription not working in all my devices. No songs being synced. Disaster.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 256 of 1030, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was on hold for 50 minutes with the MIUIA to get my unemployment figured out and got it all sorted out (I made a mistake when I filed online as their site was crashing).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 257 of 1030, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

-Did the usual Saturday morning pancake brekky.
-Vacuumed. Cleaned the bathrooms. Changed furnace filters.
-Made a few of these crazy omelettes for lunch. Just chock full of black beans, red kidney beans, ground beef, chicken sausage, spinach, canned corn, onions, garlic, tomatoes, red pepper, olives, and no fewer than 5 kinds of cheese: ricotta, parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar & monterey jack. Served them with basmati rice infused with coconut milk, turmeric, cumin, and saffron.

IMG_0700.jpg
Filename
IMG_0700.jpg
File size
461.11 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

-Streamed around 50GB worth of Netflix, assuming their 7GB/hour figure is accurate.
-Finally got around to assembling these little guys.

IMG_0707.jpg
Filename
IMG_0707.jpg
File size
374.87 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It was an alright Saturday. 😀

Reply 259 of 1030, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my recently acquired dimension xps gen 4 came with a pentium 4 550 / 3.4 GHz and a geforce 6800. meh... Re: Bought this (Modern) hardware today
it is socket 775 with an intel 925x chipset and it does not support pentium d or core 2. pentium 4 only.
upgraded to a pentium 4 670 / 3.8 GHz and a geforce 7800 gtx. that's a little bit better, i think i'll keep it.
also, swapped out the 80gb mechanical hard for a 120gb ssd and added a 1tb mechanical drive for data and backups.

xps.gen.4.jpg
Filename
xps.gen.4.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
xps.gen.4.inside.jpg
Filename
xps.gen.4.inside.jpg
File size