VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 420 of 1032, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-03-16, 19:24:

I think this counts as a modern activity. The past week I helped a friend upgrade his 1967 mustang to modern fuel injection. We used a kit from Fitech and it was very easy to install and the car runs absolutely fantastic and the ECU isn't even done with it's self learning yet. Over the past few years we've done alot of resto modding work to the car. Just this past year alone we've done alot of engine work. We installed a Ford E303 cam and went with a full roller valve train.

Cool. I don't know anything about carburetors but I'm more comfortable with fuel injection, so if I had a car of that era I'd have to think about doing the same thing. In general I like to keep things period though.
From the pictures I think I can see what must be a MAP sensor and an IAT? In the pics the throttle doesn't seem to be hooked up but I guess there must be a throttle position sensor also?
Does it use a wideband O2 sensor? On a car like that I guess it would be preferred to run it at a constant, slightly rich tune, so it would need a wideband to accomplish that. Most production EFI cars use a narrowband which is only good for bouncing around stoich.

When I moved to California in the 90s I was surprised how many of that era of Mustangs were still around. There were a lot of them being driven, you'd see them all the time (Camaros too). Then in the space of about 5-10 years they disappeared.

I want to do something a lot less ambitious with my car. It's fuel injected but the ECM is primitive so I want to upgrade it to a newer ECM which is a lot faster (responds more quickly and accurately to inputs) and is more tuneable. I have the ECM and started working out how to build the conversion, but then I got distracted, then moved, and it's kind of a forgotten project. I hope to get back to it when I have less other things to do.
In California I had an additional wrinkle to worry about. The better ECM surely wouldn't hurt emissions (it would help if anything), but in California it's illegal to modify anything regardless of how it tests. So I would have had to revert back to the stock ECM every time I had to bring it in for a test/inspection. Now that I've moved I don't need to worry about that though.

Reply 421 of 1032, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the kit we used https://fitechefi.com/product/30002-go-efi-4- … em-matte-black/

The map,tps,iat, and ECU are all self contained in the throttle body itself. It uses a wideband O2 sensor as it's a self tuning system. The nice thing is this kit also does timing control. We locked out the mechanical and vacuum advance of the distributor and it uses the magnetic pickup as a crank/cam position sensor to fire the coil. We have it all setup and running for a few weeks now and the car runs absolutely beautiful. I'll go out later and take some more pictures. Even though the ECU is self learning you still have full access to all it's settings through the in care touch screen so you can tweak parameters as you see fit. I really like that it uses PWM control of the fuel pump so it eliminates the need for a fuel return line saving a ton of labor. Once the rain clears up later I'll post some more pictures of the install. We just started the body work on they car last week as well. It's been a very fun project to work on.

Reply 422 of 1032, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-07, 12:51:

This is the kit we used https://fitechefi.com/product/30002-go-efi-4- … em-matte-black/

The map,tps,iat, and ECU are all self contained in the throttle body itself. It uses a wideband O2 sensor as it's a self tuning system. The nice thing is this kit also does timing control. We locked out the mechanical and vacuum advance of the distributor and it uses the magnetic pickup as a crank/cam position sensor to fire the coil. We have it all setup and running for a few weeks now and the car runs absolutely beautiful. I'll go out later and take some more pictures. Even though the ECU is self learning you still have full access to all it's settings through the in care touch screen so you can tweak parameters as you see fit. I really like that it uses PWM control of the fuel pump so it eliminates the need for a fuel return line saving a ton of labor. Once the rain clears up later I'll post some more pictures of the install. We just started the body work on they car last week as well. It's been a very fun project to work on.

I'm really impressed with that kit! it's bordering on vehicular 'plug and play'!

Reply 423 of 1032, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a great kit worth every penny it truly is plug and play. We removed the carb and intake installed the new intake and the throttle body. We ran a new -6an fuel line from the tank up to the unit. Then just wired it to 12v constant and switched, ran a line to the fuel pump we installed in the tank, then connected the ground side of the coil to the proper wire and plugged in the distributor pickup to the plug for it and fired it up. They even provide the coolant temp sensor we just had to thread that into a water jacket boss in the intake. Fitech really makes this kit dead simple to work with. Once the rain clears out I'll take some more detailed pictures. We didn't really need to replace the intake but my friend wanted a new once since the coating was pealing on the old one.

Start to finish was maybe 4 hours it could be done faster but we took our time and tires to make the install as best as possible so it looked good.

Reply 424 of 1032, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess the CTS must be what I thought was an IAT. Sounds like a really well designed system, I'm impressed they got everything self contained like that.
I love the simplicity of older cars like this. It makes them a lot of fun to mess around with.

Reply 426 of 1032, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As promised I got some more pictures of the install. Please mind the messy engine compartment and wiring. Once we complete the body work and priming we will be pulling all the wiring out of the whole car and starting completely from scratch.

Attachments

Reply 427 of 1032, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hit the photo limit of the above post. That's the under hood part. I also took some pictures of the handheld inside. It was quite bright out so if they aren't fantastic I'll take some more pictures tonight when it's darker out. If anyone wants more detailed or specific pictures or other information please feel free to ask and I'll get you the information you want.

Attachments

Reply 428 of 1032, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2021-04-06, 16:15:
liqmat wrote on 2021-04-01, 22:59:
For the last few months my sleeper build has been crashing to a black screen with zero BSOD and no event logs in Windows 7 64 (s […]
Show full quote

For the last few months my sleeper build has been crashing to a black screen with zero BSOD and no event logs in Windows 7 64 (still my favorite Windows OS). I thought it was the PSU, then the GPU, but when I put the system under load both held up like champs. I then did a thorough memory test on the 32GB of memory (4 x 8GB) and still no problems. I was at a loss.

The specs:

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 8-Core 3.7GHz CPU
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200 (4 x 8GB)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR
Plextor M9Pe AIC 1TB NVMe (boot drive)

I had the latest recommended BIOS from ASRock which is v3.30 for my CPU. Then I got reading about AMD and the USB issues the X570 was having and I started to wonder if the X470 was suffering from the same problem. So I went ahead and updated to BIOS v4.60 which has what ASRock calls "Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0 patch D" even though it is not recommended by ASRock for my CPU. Guess what? Not one crash to black screen since. The black screen crash would usually happen when the system was idle or doing low CPU/GPU load tasks and I had read of other X470 owners also having my same issue. An odd problem with an odd solution, but hey, if it works...

Note: I am not actually positive if it was the "Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0 patch D" part of v4.60 or another fix they made since v3.30, but the moral of the story here is if I had followed ASRock's advice of not going beyond v3.30 for my CPU class I don't think I would have ever resolved this. I also might add I never use any hibernation or power saving features and that was not the issue either.

Ok, still doing it. Very intermittent. All thermals look very good and I have tested every possible aspect of the system. Then I read in another forum some faulty EVGA factory OC cards can display this issue. Since mine is a factory OC model I learned that NVidia has a nice little feature in their driver where you can disable factory OC settings and revert the card back to NVidia's spec. Pull down menu and select "Debug Mode". Now this doesn't stick at reboot, but it's a quick and dirty way for me to test this theory and if it proves to be true I can make it more permanent by saving a profile in an OC tool like Precision or Afterburner. I am wary about doing an RMA with EVGA right now considering the GPU shortage going on. First things first, though, let's see if this works. If it doesn't crash to a black screen in the next week or so I'll know for sure.

NVidia Debug Mode.jpg

The system continued to crash to a black screen every few days even after setting "debug mode" on in the NVidia control panel. Finally found the solution as I have been running solid now for well over a week. It was the Sound Blaster ZxR driver. Noticed there was an update on Creative's website. The November 6th, 2020 ZxR driver release did the trick. No idea why, but not going to sweat it.

Reply 430 of 1032, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My life has been pretty much all work and taking care of a close family member whose sick so not as much fun for computing ATM as I'd hoped. I'm even a bit ticked that when my Line6 HD500 comes in I'll probably have to wait a month or two to see how things pan out before I can really dig into the firmware and start programming cool guitar patches - let alone do some videos on youtube with it.

Still ripping movies to the Plex Server. I've got quite a stack of episodic stuff I'll need to use HandBrake on instead of VLC. Also need to figure out why my friend needs a password to watch anything.

Work is modern-madness....had to help a colleague abroad who got blocked from the network for working abroad as corporate security is bumping up their game massively, right now trying to get a move on a dead UPS, and need to get into an older laptop to recover data. On top of the fact I have 2 new techs to train and were hiring more in the future as we grow.

Life's been a bit of an endless shitshow lately - hence why I've been quite a bit more absent.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 431 of 1032, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought an AMD 7990. I'm going to pair it with my i7 860 to see how much modern gaming an 11 year old CPU and 10 year old GPU can do!

O3ZmDjFh.jpg

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 433 of 1032, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, it's giant. Here it is compared to a medium sized cat

BBQOH4Qh.jpg

If you don't have a medium sized cat yourself, here it is next to a dvd case:

Y4KaGzxh.jpg

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 435 of 1032, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-05-07, 14:47:

No, it's giant. Here it is compared to a medium sized cat

If you don't have a medium sized cat yourself, here it is next to a dvd case:

With the word "bag" cutoff on that Ocado shopping bag and cats having nine lives supposedly, it reading "I believe in reincarnation" gave me a chuckle.

9lives.jpg
Filename
9lives.jpg
File size
83.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 436 of 1032, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting new shelving put up in my office at work. Had to move a team-specific server I built out to the cable closet (basically a desktop with regular file shares locked down like fort knox to only be accessed in very specific ways), re-arranging a bit as I've got to train two more new techs as of next week or so. Very busy. Finished testing and repairing/lining up for RMA about 35 desktops, about 1/3rd were bad, the rest were good, just needed adjustment. Still need to take my Dell cert training so I can start fixing those computers and ordering parts.

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 437 of 1032, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These past few days I decided to play through Project Wingman in VR, since my Ace combat itch wasn’t scratched by the seven numbered games. I can thoroughly recommend Project Wingman if you can do it in VR. I felt even more aware of the battles, and it kind of made me want to upgrade my system so I can do MSFS in VR as well.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 438 of 1032, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finished up my custom ARM computer. Bases on an OrangePI Plus 2 board and SATA harddrive for storage. I have no idea what exactly to use it for. At least it is build, and will most likely be put into storage untill I can figure out what to do with it.

ARM-PC-01.jpg
Filename
ARM-PC-01.jpg
File size
130.14 KiB
Views
File license
ARM-PC-02.jpg
Filename
ARM-PC-02.jpg
File size
172.62 KiB
Views
File license

EDIT:
And now the ARM machine is with a fan. Just two pieces of thin white cardboard, glued together with epoxy and holes cut out. Power comes from the GPIO pins.

ARM-PC-03.jpg
Filename
ARM-PC-03.jpg
File size
157.46 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 439 of 1032, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting back into creating music after a hiatus due to life chaos. I just got a LIne6 HD500 a month ago and have been programming it a bunch using my iMac. I've been recreating old patches from former digital effects setups I've used (ie ones from my old band Lithium, my old M.J. project stuff 2000-20012, and some brand new ideas involving guitar-synth crossover goodness), including some I've not used in over a decade or two because I could not recreate them on any other modern device due to firmware limitations or the general fact more and more over the past decade modeler/multi-Fx pedal designs have been catering more and more to the "Dad rocker" who just wants to emulate a TS-9 TubeScreamer and a Marshall JCM800 (I use the JCM800 sound alright.....but with a Starship Enterprise worth of effects in front and behind it sometimes, 🤣). It's been kind of cool to get my old "Crystal" (tons of reverb basically) and "Least Ignored" (Glitched out Delay that sounds like someone playing violin with a bandsaw blade for a bow and a circular saw blade for a violin) sounds and then throw an Expression Pedal on them and a Whammy Pedal effect and then do some pretty wild stuff with it I could not do before.

I've started recording with it on Bandlab a little bit but am figuring out what the best scenario for it is since USB on my phone does not work (no drivers for Android), the iMac is a tad laggy, but I have to forego stereo effects using the iRig and the line out. Done some YouTube clips as well but again timing has been tricky to get sorted out before I post anything. Eventually I'll figure it out though, I always do.

Just an idea of what I record these days....
https://www.bandlab.com/creepingnet

~The Creeping Network~