Gigabyte X570SI Aorus Pro AX ITX BIOS.jpg
Filename
Gigabyte X570SI Aorus Pro AX ITX BIOS.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe as a boot drive. Great performance.

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe.jpg
Filename
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe.jpg
File size
53.45 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2022-05-27, 15:00. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 562 of 1003, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-05-22, 23:02:

That's a nice motherboard. What cpu are you running?

Rest of the specs:

Ryzen 9 5900X
32GB G.SKILL DDR4
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra

Best part of the build? The piezo buzzer/PC speaker I installed afterwards of course. You can still boot right into MS-DOS on a USB floppy drive and play Prince of Persia at normal speeds. Backwards compatibility at its best.

Reply 564 of 1003, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested the external DVD-RW drive on my gaming laptop to make sure that it reads discs and to make sure that it got detected without issues. Also opened it to see if it was a SATA or IDE drive and it's a SATA drive.

Fortunately, the USB floppy drive works as well. Cannot wait until I pay for the extern Blu-Ray burner so I can have a portable Blu-Ray player and Kodi runs smooth as butter on the system.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 565 of 1003, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2022-05-22, 23:13:
Rest of the specs: […]
Show full quote

Rest of the specs:

Ryzen 9 5900X
32GB G.SKILL DDR4
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra

Best part of the build? The piezo buzzer/PC speaker I installed afterwards of course. You can still boot right into MS-DOS on a USB floppy drive and play Prince of Persia at normal speeds. Backwards compatibility at its best.

Curious what kind of temps you're getting and what cpu cooler? I'm using a 3700x and trying to make up my mind on a AIO.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 566 of 1003, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote on 2022-05-23, 13:42:
Show full quote

Rest of the specs:

Ryzen 9 5900X
32GB G.SKILL DDR4
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra

Curious what kind of temps you're getting and what cpu cooler? I'm using a 3700x and trying to make up my mind on a AIO.

Idle: ~35C (Range: 31C to 37C)
Load: ~60C (Have not seen it go over 65C yet) Edit: Stressed it a bit the other day so... 70C

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

The heatsink just clears the sidewalls of the LIAN LI TU150 ITX case. My absolute favorite ITX case especially since it has a durable pop-up carry handle. Perfect fit for excellent front to back cooling. When using this cooler with an ITX board I had to change out the first fan on the heatsink with a Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm fan. Why? Most ITX boards have their memory slots sitting right under where that first fan is located. So the first stock Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm fan would not clear those sticks. Works a treat. Not the best photo, but gives you an idea.

ITX Build.jpg
Filename
ITX Build.jpg
File size
784.86 KiB
Views
File license

The most helpful part of that photo are my toes in the bottom left corner.

Last edited by liqmat on 2022-05-27, 14:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 567 of 1003, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2022-05-23, 14:41:
Idle: ~35C (Range: 31C to 37C) Load: ~60C (Have not seen it go over 65C yet) […]
Show full quote
buckeye wrote on 2022-05-23, 13:42:
Show full quote

Rest of the specs:

Ryzen 9 5900X
32GB G.SKILL DDR4
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra

Idle: ~35C (Range: 31C to 37C)
Load: ~60C (Have not seen it go over 65C yet)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

The heatsink just clears the sidewalls of the LIAN LI TU150 ITX case. My absolute favorite ITX case especially since it has a durable pop-up carry handle. Perfect fit for excellent front to back cooling. When using this cooler with an ITX board I had to change out the first fan on the heatsink with a Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm fan. Why? Most ITX boards have their memory slots sitting right under where that first fan is located. So the first stock Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm fan would not clear those sticks. Works a treat. Not the best photo, but gives you an idea.

ITX Build.jpg

The most helpful part of that photo are my toes in the bottom left corner.

Don't drop that GPU on yer toes, it will not be pretty. Like LIAN LI cases, they're good quality.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 568 of 1003, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unboxed an IBM PS/2 Model 25-004 Color system with a keyboard that doesn't match. Got a 2/15/1991 Model M that I'll use and I'll need to buy the matching mouse and keyboard to make it period correct.

Reply 569 of 1003, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I tried to make a remote video job interview using a dual Atom config with the fastest possible components and maybe I was optimistic not having a fixed 100% CPU usage even with the GT610 PCI gpu offloading as much as it can, but I asked too much from this hardware and audio latency/quality decreased. Without problems we scheduled a new connection a bit later, time to "optimize" the config ... ("simply" changing the whole mainboard, cpu, ram, video card from the micro-atx case and installing the best board I got with a Core2 E8600, a PCI-EX GT610 instead of the PCI version and in like less than 20 minutes using the same linux installation, same GPU so same drivers, reconnected and continued the job interview at much better levels of course).
I was expecting that the CPU while important could work with a single tab browser conference web app thanks to the GPU and ram size but probably with gpu modern hardware encoding supported. I wonder if in Win the DXVA logic might offload more. Anyway solved with the fastest configuration change ever done I think in decades for time reasons cause I didn't have a second config ready in that moment.

Reply 570 of 1003, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Checking the health on each used SSDs I purchased, pretty good so far. They're data center rated, both intel and micron. I'm taking a Intel DC s3510 1.6TB for my work PC at repair shop to upgrade a consumer grade Hynix 512GB to at least over 1TB. Running low on space, which this grabage Hynix has poor wear percentage and constantly reports under temperate, which is a ironic since it is in a PC and never go below 30C in use.

This Hynix 512GB was purchased used 2 years ago, no more Hynix SSDs except their memory modules are good. Since then, I learned to use gsmartcontrol to check on their SMART health.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 571 of 1003, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I often thought SSD low lifetime was not a realistic problem but lately a brand new 128GB SSD SATA3 used like few months with different o.s. installations (and @ SATAII speed) but far from having worked much became unusable and basically broken no matter what sw I tried to repair it. I'm not much optimistic about SSD lifetime anymore, I don't know about those modern SSD mini-pcie whatever modules I suppose even less.

Reply 572 of 1003, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote on 2022-05-29, 09:01:

I often thought SSD low lifetime was not a realistic problem but lately a brand new 128GB SSD SATA3 used like few months with different o.s. installations (and @ SATAII speed) but far from having worked much became unusable and basically broken no matter what sw I tried to repair it. I'm not much optimistic about SSD lifetime anymore, I don't know about those modern SSD mini-pcie whatever modules I suppose even less.

I've got a home server setup of three Nutanix nodes which doesn't do much and I've broken one SSD so far in about 2 years. It was a Samsung 850 too, whereas the cheapo no name ones are going strong still!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 573 of 1003, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose like every consumer components it might also be a random problem no matter the brand or the product quality should be expected. Also nowdays I feel like many consumer products even good brands when seen internally are not so "high end" built like it was expected in the past. I imagine many try to save money making products no matter the brand. Just looking at keyboards weight, home stereo systems, dvd readers, etc..

Reply 574 of 1003, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-29, 11:41:

I've got a home server setup of three Nutanix nodes which doesn't do much and I've broken one SSD so far in about 2 years. It was a Samsung 850 too, whereas the cheapo no name ones are going strong still!

Oh great, just picked up a used 850 cheap, haven't plugged it in yet, what were signs of death? Or just completely dead one day?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 575 of 1003, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-06-01, 15:26:
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-29, 11:41:

Oh great, just picked up a used 850 cheap, haven't plugged it in yet, what were signs of death? Or just completely dead one day?

It still works, just the latency was way high quite often.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 576 of 1003, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, I'll watch for that Steve.

We are getting to repurpose some space as a full fledged office area, wherein I will have a decent sized desk so want to get some systems set up to populate it, some being 3 or maybe 4. The one herein relevant will mostly just be an office/surfer box, general donkey work. So I'm stuck between two platforms. One an intel ITX board in a shoebox case, with an E8400 C2D. The other a recently acquired J1900 Celeron quad on an ITX-ish board. Now there is very little between them in multithreaded performance, but of course E8400 wins single core.... however, the J1900 has small feature advantage with SSE 4.2 vs 4.1 max level on C2D.

For graphics, the J1900 has intel HD graphics with DX 11 Vulkan 1.0 OCL 1.2 OGL 4.0, but it only has 4 EUs so it's a bit of a slug, about 9400GT/GT210 kinda speed. The C2D only has a 1xPCIe or onboard GMA graphics. It can only take lower power cards, single slot, maybe a 9400GT possibly a HD6450.. DX 9 or 10 I guess, the tendency is to be limited to not a lot more than 9400 performance whatever goes in there because of 1x bottleneck. Mayyybe it could take a DX12 GPU, but no likely candidates fit the cheap as dirt and available profile at the moment to be worth messing with.

J1900 might have to go in an mATX case with a 250W PSU. Between having to use regular desktop fixins for that one, and the advanced powersaving on the intel ITX board, I think it might be a bit of a wash for at the wall power consumption and they'll both be a bit under 100W so it doesn't really concern me that much.

Upgradeability.... in theory I could get a low power quad in the Intel ITX, but the fast ones look like staying $$$ and the middling affordable ones, I could potentially get the E8400 in the same performance ballpark with a small overclock that may be easily in the CPUs potential but maybe the motherboard will be difficult. The J1900 is probably stuck exactly how it is for eternity. RAM, the intel itx takes only 4GB apparently, whereas the J1900 board takes and has 8GB.

Other considerations, J1900 might be better deployed in non-desktop role as it has dual gigabyte NICs and a tonne of SATA ports, so could do NAS duty. But OTOH has the best "right now" feature support in CPU and GPU and takes 8GB whereas 4GB is a bit meagre in 2022.

My wife however, is not showing many signs of wanting the Thinkcentre I picked up for her, that is also C2D class, will take a quad, might take more RAM, has full PCIe but low profile, not sure if it's "available" though. So that might be an option also, might not.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 577 of 1003, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Getting the BitLocker set up on my IBM ThinkPad A485 and I got the OS to convert from legacy boot to UEFI boot.

It's been a while since I used this laptop as I've been using my ASUS ROG FX502VM on a daily basis.

Reply 578 of 1003, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-06-02, 01:36:
Thanks, I'll watch for that Steve. […]
Show full quote

Thanks, I'll watch for that Steve.

We are getting to repurpose some space as a full fledged office area, wherein I will have a decent sized desk so want to get some systems set up to populate it, some being 3 or maybe 4. The one herein relevant will mostly just be an office/surfer box, general donkey work. So I'm stuck between two platforms. One an intel ITX board in a shoebox case, with an E8400 C2D. The other a recently acquired J1900 Celeron quad on an ITX-ish board. Now there is very little between them in multithreaded performance, but of course E8400 wins single core.... however, the J1900 has small feature advantage with SSE 4.2 vs 4.1 max level on C2D.

For graphics, the J1900 has intel HD graphics with DX 11 Vulkan 1.0 OCL 1.2 OGL 4.0, but it only has 4 EUs so it's a bit of a slug, about 9400GT/GT210 kinda speed. The C2D only has a 1xPCIe or onboard GMA graphics. It can only take lower power cards, single slot, maybe a 9400GT possibly a HD6450.. DX 9 or 10 I guess, the tendency is to be limited to not a lot more than 9400 performance whatever goes in there because of 1x bottleneck. Mayyybe it could take a DX12 GPU, but no likely candidates fit the cheap as dirt and available profile at the moment to be worth messing with.

Sure faster than my dual Atom/NM10/DDR3 mini itx board that only has a PCI bus bridged from a more useful (if was installed) PCI-EX x1 or x4 rail in single mode. Do you have any 3DMark score numbers of the J1900 on board gpu?
I did have for a short time in the past a J1800 Celeron mini itx board but I don't remember how fast it ran.

On the ram limit point, I was wondering lately that maybe unofficially some of those chipset might support more than the supposed to install. For example the NM10 of the Atom I use, should support at best a single 4GB DDR3 module and the maximun size should be that. Instead this x64 SoC without I imagine a ipotethical bios limitation that might exist, can work (I don't know if outside its specs) with two 4GB modules for a whole 8GB which is quite interesting. I wonder if the same happens with the Socket 775 / DDR3 / G41 based boards usually used at best with low density dual 4GB modules but I wonder if anyone ever tested dual 8GB low density modules on those boards to see if they run or not.

Reply 579 of 1003, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Made a fresh install of Debian 9 with xface on my HP T5740 thin client before selling it. It's an alright thin client, but the 2GB SSD makes it really hard to deal with and it's cheaper to buy a more modern (which I did months ago) one than to upgrade. The 32bit CPU is also very limiting. Someone might find a better use for it.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png