Reply 200 of 236, by cde
this is why I only buy games on GOG now, plus they are DRM free!
I still have a crazy amount of steam games, and the ones that I can not get on GOG I will play on steam until such time they decide it is okay to rip me off by removing one or more paid games!
Absolutely, I now also buy my games on GOG and use their offline installers.
Regarding Steam games, I use this to backup and play them:
* install Steam on a removable disk
* shift+click to select and install all games
* move the steamapps folder and *.acf outside of the Steam folder, uninstall Steam
* for each game in steamapps:
- optionally remove the Steam DRM with Steamless (available on github)
- create a steam_appid.txt with the help of the game's acf file (containing just the id)
- replace the steam_api dll with Goldberg emulator (also on github)
- optionally create steam_interfaces.txt files for games before 2016
This has worked very well for pretty much all the games I've tried. Only game that failed to launch is Celeste.
EDIT: Celeste just needed the XNA redist installed.