Common searches

FYI: Steam drops XP/Vista in 2019

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 236, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dont expect to get your "purchases" anymore so unless you have backups your f**ked

You don't need to, because GOG releases are freely available via torrents. And Steam client was cracked long time ago too. Right now only fresh Denuvo protected games are major pain in arse.

Switch and Xbox One might have some problems (neither are on the scale of Steam's though), but PS4 definitely is nowhere near an online-required system.

We already nearing the interesting time when online services for the old generation of consoles might be shut down forever, which will lock you from patches, DLC and some games (already happened on Wii). Current console generation relies even more on said services and who knows what happens 10-15 years from now.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2018-11-17, 00:32. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 122 of 236, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But without access to patches and DLC content. Big companies like Sony does not care about preservation of content, unless it can fill their pockets.

Reply 124 of 236, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

horse armor

Haha.. those were the days.
The thing is, now they often sell huge chunks of the original "supposed to be in the game from day one" content under the damn DLC pretext.

Reply 125 of 236, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

now they often sell huge chunks of the original "supposed to be in the game from day one" content under the damn DLC pretext.

Exactly. Crippled and cut-down version of the game.

Reply 126 of 236, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
0kool wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

horse armor

Haha.. those were the days.
The thing is, now they often sell huge chunks of the original "supposed to be in the game from day one" content under the damn DLC pretext.

The Serpent Rider wrote:

now they often sell huge chunks of the original "supposed to be in the game from day one" content under the damn DLC pretext.

Exactly. Crippled and cut-down version of the game.

You two need to buy less shitty games, that hasn't been the case for any game I've bought recently.

Reply 127 of 236, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Yeah I'll be missing my horse armor while Steam users won't be able to play their games at all.

The only way I see Steam failing in the next 10 or 15 years is if the entire PC platform goes the way of the dodo. Meanwhile, I can totally see the PS4 hardware or firmware failing inside that span.

Reply 128 of 236, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kode54 wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Yeah I'll be missing my horse armor while Steam users won't be able to play their games at all.

The only way I see Steam failing in the next 10 or 15 years is if the entire PC platform goes the way of the dodo. Meanwhile, I can totally see the PS4 hardware or firmware failing inside that span.

Steam can easily implode if it continues down the path of always going after the low hanging fruit; their platform has become a jumbled mess of shitware and their storefront is starting to get worse than the Windows Store, which is a feat by itself.

I have lost my interest in it a long time ago, I now buy on GOG whenever possible. I have 230 something games on Steam and I hope it never dies, but what it has become is definitely unsustainable.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 129 of 236, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
kode54 wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Steam can easily implode if it continues down the path of always going after the low hanging fruit; their platform has become a jumbled mess of shitware and their storefront is starting to get worse than the Windows Store, which is a feat by itself.

I have lost my interest in it a long time ago, I now buy on GOG whenever possible. I have 230 something games on Steam and I hope it never dies, but what it has become is definitely unsustainable.

Agreed. Steam can definitely fail. As publishers push more customers away with awful DRM I foresee their 'answer' to piracy to be full-on streaming only and possibly subscription based games.

Reply 130 of 236, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kode54 wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

PC hardware and firmware is equally likely to fail within the same time span.

With a PS4 and physical copies you get a new PS4. You're reliant your own ability to keep your stuff properly stored.

With a PC and Steam digital copies you get a new PC and redownload your Steam games. You're reliant on someone else giving you permission and being capable of doing so.

I know which I prefer.

Reply 132 of 236, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Recent retail releases of remastered Spyro games didn't had all required data included on disk. So essentially you're totally screwed in that particular case.

Reply 133 of 236, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It amuses me when you see the articles on everything requiring online connectivity and how it will reduce "piracy". Yeah sure when the servers are required for gameplay\streaming the offline copies will go away but then "piracy" will move elsewhere. Now instead of games being cracked you'll have more accounts being hacked and since people are lazy and it's "just games" multiple sites will be hacked.

The arguments you see on the Internet just go around and around in circles mostly because the people talking have no idea what they are talking about. Check the steam "End of support thread" and you'll see people complain about old XP "protocols", how most XP games wouldn't run on XP anyway, How poor Valve can't figure out a way for people to keep playing their games on XP because it requires Valve support, How most games work better on Windows 10 than any Windows OS before it.....all without any data or expertise to back up these statements. This isn't really about XP anyway, the steam client should be optional for all games on Steam not a requirement. The majority of games on Steam that require Steam do not actually need it for any functionality.

There definetly needs to be more rights for users for the software they purchase because the publishers and developers really don't care. They've shown it time and again with no backups of their code, selling software without updating it, refusal to remove DRM when it prevents the game from running, etc. What's sad is gaming is so popular you have so many "gamers" that don't care whereas in the past gamers were knowledgeable about these subjects, now if you don't care for games with loot boxes, microtransactions, gambling addicting mobile games or locked down game stores you are the odd one.

I think ideally what we need is a central site that tracks these things so people can easily stay away from "bad" publishers and devs and reward the "good" publishers and devs. I know I'm tired of constantly having to figure if a game has DRM and if so how to break it or if a game is a POS because the publisher was too lazy to finish it or if a game store is a pile of crap and encrypts games behind your back and disallows mods, etc etc etc etc.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 134 of 236, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote:

Except now many games require downloads the moment you pop them in your console 🙁

The word you're looking for is "few" not "many". Evidenced by the fact that whenever a game requires a download it still makes huge news: see Spyro.

Reply 135 of 236, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Almost all new releases require day one patch to work properly. Spyro case was just outrageous enough to make noise in the news.

Reply 136 of 236, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Almost all new releases require day one patch to work properly.

Why do you believe that?

None of the games I own do and I haven't heard of that many games that do, so the statement that "almost all new releases" do is really weird.

Also, why was the Spyro case outrageous then?

Reply 137 of 236, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone successfully set up a "Steam Permanent Offline Mode" Windows XP system? I want to give it a go before the end of the month but I don't want to waste my time if it's not really possible.

Reply 138 of 236, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think Steam command line switches, config changes and blocking outbound communication in the firewall supposedly works. I use smartsteamemu and cracks instead. I can post a list of games these work for if anyone is interested.

Reply 139 of 236, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Running DRM games offline moved to Deep Thought: Running online DRM games offline guide