VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Help,
i missing one important feature in Vogons posts editor and that is bookmark.. When you trying to make longer post and some tutorials, some direct link to same part of text would be really helpful, to save a time and improve navigation experience (now when i want to "link it" - i have to give reader link and say post is long, click at link and after that search for text "XY".. and user also have to more action too), also would be possible to create small ToC at the top of the post etc..

You can argue that there other tool like wikies for long posts, but wikies have limited discussion possibilities and it would be optimal feature.. In Jira and Confluence where you can design and discuss thing im used to use bookmarks a lot and its big improvement.

Bookmarks are great since days first hypertext programs..

Implementation is very easy:
http://www.hyperlinkcode.com/bookmark.php#top

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:

Implementation is very easy:
http://www.hyperlinkcode.com/bookmark.php#top

You misunderstand that this is something we coded in HTML/PHP. Vogons is instead a phpBB forum.

Anchors can be added as custom BBCode on phpBB 3.0+ without using a plugin, but it's up to the admin (Qbix).

On prior to phpBB 3.0, I am not sure how easily it can be done. Admittedly I don't know how old our version here is.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 6, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

You misunderstand that this is something we coded in HTML/PHP. Vogons is instead a phpBB forum.

You could always go to lowlevel, its more than 10 when is did something with phpBB, but i think that is possible in essense it still generating html.

Stiletto wrote:

Anchors can be added as custom BBCode on phpBB 3.0+ without using a plugin, but it's up to the admin (Qbix).

Are in touch with Qbix?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can do this with the current setup.. just in a roundabout way.

1.Make_your_sections

[url=http://yourURL.tld]TEXT LINK[/url]

2. Number them or name them before the section. It is better if the section name or number is the only place in the topic it is in.
3. Up at the top, there is a "Search this topic" text box
4. Enter the search criteria, and hit search. It will find it and highlight what you searched for.
5. You can then use the generated URL and put that URL as a link to the section in the TOC.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
You can do this with the current setup.. just in a roundabout way. […]
Show full quote

You can do this with the current setup.. just in a roundabout way.

1.Make_your_sections

[url=http://yourURL.tld]TEXT LINK[/url]

2. Number them or name them before the section. It is better if the section name or number is the only place in the topic it is in.
3. Up at the top, there is a "Search this topic" text box
4. Enter the search criteria, and hit search. It will find it and highlight what you searched for.
5. You can then use the generated URL and put that URL as a link to the section in the TOC.

Oh, that is a gruesome workaround. But it should work!

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

You could always go to lowlevel, its more than 10 when is did something with phpBB, but i think that is possible in essense it still generating html.

The fewer manual hacks we have, the easier phpBB is to update to newer versions that fix security issues. So that's actually something to avoid.

ruthan wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

Are in touch with Qbix?

Sure, but so can you! 🤣

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 6, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Sure, but so can you! 🤣

Lets make a deal, i will not use this ugly hack, when you will contact Qbix:) From experience request from old member has better chance.

cyclone3d: Thanks.