First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello guys,

this is a tough one!

These are the systems:

• i3 with Windows 10 64 bit connected to the internet via WiFi (cannot do otherwise)

• 486 DX2 66
• Pentium 60
• Pentium 90
• Pentium 120

Each one of the 4 old computers should have a multi-boot on partitioned SD or CF card with the following OSs:

○ MS-DOS 6.22
○ Win 95C
○ Win 98SE
○ Win NT 4 Workstation
○ Unix or Linux of some sort (a version that is light enough for that old hardware) (or should I use for this the Pentium III 450 MHz I put aside?)

And I'd like to create a LAN between those systems, and for the old ones with each one of the operating systems.

Questions:

1) What computer should I use as central server? (Do I even need to set up a server? But I'd like to learn networking skills, so I guess I do)
2) Since my laptop's wifi is taken by the internet on wifi router, can I do all this using its Ethernet port?
3) Is this even possible?
4) The 486 has only ISA slots. What NIC card would you recommend in terms of great compatibility with those old OSs?
5) What about a PCI NIC for the other systems?

Thanks!!!!!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 2 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't want internet access for any of them, just get a switch and use static IP's for all of them.

3Com were pretty much the best old ISA and PCI NICs back then, The Parallel Tasking and Parallel Tasking II ones were what I used.

Also had some Netgear back then that worked fine as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 14, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

If you don't want internet access for any of them, just get a switch and use static IP's for all of them.

3Com were pretty much the best old ISA and PCI NICs back then, The Parallel Tasking and Parallel Tasking II ones were what I used.

Also had some Netgear back then that worked fine as well.

No need to use Internet on the old PCs, just file share between them all.

So, do you mean I get a switch, and I connect ethernet cables from all the PCs to the switch?
What kind of switch exactly?

dr_st wrote:

Question #1: What is the purpose of the LAN?

The purpose is to share files.

Thanks guys!

Reply 4 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Network switch. Something like a Netgear GS105 (5-port) or Netgear GS108 (8-port).

File sharing is done on the OS side. If in Windows, they will all just need to be in the same workgroup and within the same IP subnet.

Then you set up your shared folders, disable password protected sharing, set permission for the shared folders to "everyone" and you are set.

You can use password protected sharing if you really want, but for something like that, it probably isn't needed.

You can also do some LAN gaming over your little network.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 14, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
A Network switch. Something like a Netgear GS105 (5-port) or Netgear GS108 (8-port). […]
Show full quote

A Network switch. Something like a Netgear GS105 (5-port) or Netgear GS108 (8-port).

File sharing is done on the OS side. If in Windows, they will all just need to be in the same workgroup and within the same IP subnet.

Then you set up your shared folders, disable password protected sharing, set permission for the shared folders to "everyone" and you are set.

You can use password protected sharing if you really want, but for something like that, it probably isn't needed.

You can also do some LAN gaming over your little network.

GREAT! thanks so much bro and everyone else!

Reply 6 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For pure DOS you can transfer from an FTP server on your file server using Mike Brutman's mTCP.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. This subforum is for DOS games on modern systems, as in Very Old Games On New Systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 14, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Wrong forum. This subforum is for DOS games on modern systems, as in Very Old Games On New Systems.

You're right, collector.
However, I wasn't superficial. I did my due diligence of going through the list of forums more times to find a networking-related one, but I couldn't.
So, I finally figured, since this is mainly an OS configuration thing, I'll throw it in the DOS forum.
But, please, if you identify a more suitable one, will you please move the thread over there? Thanks!

gdjacobs wrote:

For pure DOS you can transfer from an FTP server on your file server using Mike Brutman's mTCP.

Thanks so much!

Reply 13 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Second that for the DOS FTP programs, but be aware: the site links to crynwr packet drivers for old cards. They are designed for *very* old systems and my experience is that they don't work on 486/Pentium style computers with 3Com cards. I'm not sure whether it's a dodgy driver or some timing issue. Instead, use 3Com's excellent packet driver.

So:
- get the NICs. I second 3Com 509C-TP or similar as ideal ISA NICs in terms of both performance and compatibility.
- download the relevant DOS drivers (i.e. from vogonsdrivers.com)
- most of the 3Com ISA cards are jumperless non-PnP designs. You need to run a DOS config tool (iirc config.exe, to be found on the drivers disks) to set resources.
- once you have non-conflicting resources set, run the packet driver and if it works, put it in autoexec.bat (you can use LH to save conventional memory)
- use mtools for DHCP, FTP etc. Also put these in autoexec.bat when it all works.

Reply 14 of 14, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Second that for the DOS FTP programs, but be aware: the site links to crynwr packet drivers for old cards. They are designed for […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

Second that for the DOS FTP programs, but be aware: the site links to crynwr packet drivers for old cards. They are designed for *very* old systems and my experience is that they don't work on 486/Pentium style computers with 3Com cards. I'm not sure whether it's a dodgy driver or some timing issue. Instead, use 3Com's excellent packet driver.

So:
- get the NICs. I second 3Com 509C-TP or similar as ideal ISA NICs in terms of both performance and compatibility.
- download the relevant DOS drivers (i.e. from vogonsdrivers.com)
- most of the 3Com ISA cards are jumperless non-PnP designs. You need to run a DOS config tool (iirc config.exe, to be found on the drivers disks) to set resources.
- once you have non-conflicting resources set, run the packet driver and if it works, put it in autoexec.bat (you can use LH to save conventional memory)
- use mtools for DHCP, FTP etc. Also put these in autoexec.bat when it all works.

Fantastic! Thank you bro!