The great Pentium Pro haul of 2018

Topic actions

Reply 102 of 169, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:
To those of you who collect drivers, system software, etc. this might be of some interest to you. Since we picked up those ALR 6 […]
Show full quote

To those of you who collect drivers, system software, etc. this might be of some interest to you. Since we picked up those ALR 6x6 servers in this haul LB and I had zero software for the systems. Luckily in the ALR sub channel I started over at Discord we got some Vogons members that had ALR systems themselves and had collected the software over the years from various websites that are now defunct. One of those websites was archived, but most of the documents and software were not archived. This is the archived site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20031030111834/ht … chive/index.htm

Well, thanks to Vogons members hard1k and gbeirn we have roughly 95% of that website's file content and extra files to boot. I have compiled both hard1k's and gbeirn's files to make as complete of an archive that is possible. Having that archived website allowed me to create folders with descriptions of what each file was so I basically mirrored that website's index structure via a Windows folder structure. If a file is missing or corrupt (luckily not many are) I put that in the folder's description and created a text file or left the original corrupted file in that folder as a placeholder so others can research or hunt for those files in the future. I did not change the actual filenames so others can search for the original files that are missing or corrupt. Luckily, since most of the files are there, there is more than enough resources to easily get an ALR 6x6 system up and running.

There is one folder in the zip file that is not on the website which I named "Various Other ALR Resources". Those are the extra files that were not on that archived website and are additional resources for or relating to ALR systems. I'll leave it up to the community to sort through that. My main goal was to try and combine all these resources together and rebuild as best as possible the archived "Gavin Hubbard ALR 6x6 Software Archive" file structure and content.

Thanks again to Vogons members hard1k and gbeirn for sharing their files since ALR drivers and software are not easy to come by anymore and hopefully by posting it here those files wont be elusive for future ALR system collectors.

Here is a link to the archive I compiled and I'll leave it up for awhile so others can put it in a more permanent home. Cheers.

https://mega.nz/#F!T6Q3iAYI!vuxT2rb8QBfs9MnAsxkFUA

Uploaded to VOGONSDrivers, thanks go to liqmat, hard1k and gbeirn for collecting these files!

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1472

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 105 of 169, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Categorized and organized what's left of the haul. Took me a little over a week to get everything sorted.

singularity.jpg
Filename
singularity.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
scsi_tower.jpg
Filename
scsi_tower.jpg
File size
790.96 KiB
Views
File license
desktops.jpg
Filename
desktops.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license

Currently working on a video that will cover the remaining hardware.

Last edited by liqmat on 2019-01-16, 10:03. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 107 of 169, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fun fact:

From one basement to the following countries that parts of the Pentium Pro haul have shipped to:

Australia
Canada
China
France
Germany
Greece
Japan
Netherlands
Norway
Philippines
Poland
Romania
Russia
Slovenia
South Korea
Sweden
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States

Last edited by liqmat on 2021-04-15, 18:32. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 108 of 169, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had quite a few of these late model PCI/ISA button cell battery based M-Tech R418W2 486 motherboards from the Pentium Pro Haul of 2018. So I decided to archive any variant of the BIOS I came across. This is now the most complete collection of BIOS versions for this board. I had to physically remove the BIOS chip from the M-Tech board and place it in a Socket 8 motherboard to backup and hot flash the BIOS properly with UniFlash v1.4 (thanks go to Vogons member Deksor for the advice on that). It would not read or flash the BIOS properly directly on the M-Tech board with Awdflash or UniFlash.

Note: One of the nicer features of this motherboard's BIOS is that it has a built-in IDE HDD low level format option.

Jumper settings for this board: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/M/M … 18-PCI-486.html

Archived original support site (R418): https://web.archive.org/web/19981207012336/ht … ftp.mtiusa.com/

The BIOS files are now archived over at -0° in the AT BIOS images section: http://minuszerodegrees.net/at_clone_bios/at_clone_bios.htm

M-Tech R418W2.jpg
Filename
M-Tech R418W2.jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2022-12-19, 00:57. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 109 of 169, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How big was the item you send to the netherlands and do you remember the cost of shipping? I get lost trying to find out how expensive it is to send something from the states to here...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 110 of 169, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

How big was the item you send to the netherlands and do you remember the cost of shipping? I get lost trying to find out how expensive it is to send something from the states to here...

I use Parcelmonkey.com. They are a third party shipping service and almost always come out cheaper for international shipping than doing it direct with shipping companies like USPS, UPS and FedEx. The only drawback is it can take longer, but in my experience not much. One shipment from the U.S. to Sweden took three weeks, but that was unusual. It usually is about two weeks max. They are kind of like the Expedia of shipping, the shipping routes and prices can change daily and sometimes drastically. So within two days time the same shipping address from the U.S. could be a $20 difference in my experience, but both prices were still cheaper than any of the big shipping companies directly.

P.S. - To answer your question directly, I have no idea as the person in the Netherlands had me ship it to their U.S. forwarding address.

Reply 111 of 169, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WOW!

No memes, just... WOW!

.... This is mad epic... that haul is huge! ALR too!

I can't put a scratch on all this here... but yesterday, I saved / salvaged my first Pentium Pro system, dual 200MHz'ers.

Attachments

• Prioris MX 6200.jpg
    Filename
    Prioris MX 6200.jpg
    File size
    681.62 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Dual PPro 200MHz
    File license

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 112 of 169, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:
WOW! […]
Show full quote

WOW!

No memes, just... WOW!

.... This is mad epic... that haul is huge! ALR too!

I can't put a scratch on all this here... but yesterday, I saved / salvaged my first Pentium Pro system, dual 200MHz'ers.

We're all on the same team here. Trying to save this stuff from destruction. If you need any parts like a Pentium Pro cooler or some spare VRMs let me know in a PM and I can help you out.

Reply 113 of 169, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

We're all on the same team here. Trying to save this stuff from destruction. If you need any parts like a Pentium Pro cooler or some spare VRMs let me know in a PM and I can help you out.

Having tried to boot the system, it seems not to stay powered on.

I suspect it could be from a number of things... i.e. PSU, NVRAM clock, or something related to the CPU board.

I appreciate the offer, and suspect I may soon require some help, thanks.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 114 of 169, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have saved a few Pentium Pro based mainboards from their ultimate destruction the last year. The most interesting one was this Supermicro P6DNF.

9462F3T.jpg

November, 1996. Full size AT. Two 180MHz/256k SL23L CPUs with the original Supermicro branded VRMs using DIP switches to set up voltage. 8x 64Mb EDO memory. The barrel battery started to leak, so I was right in time to prevent a serious damage.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 115 of 169, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ph4nt0m wrote:
I have saved a few Pentium Pro based mainboards from their ultimate destruction the last year. The most interesting one was this […]
Show full quote

I have saved a few Pentium Pro based mainboards from their ultimate destruction the last year. The most interesting one was this Supermicro P6DNF.

9462F3T.jpg

November, 1996. Full size AT. Two 180MHz/256k SL23L CPUs with the original Supermicro branded VRMs using DIP switches to set up voltage. 8x 64Mb EDO memory. The barrel battery started to leak, so I was right in time to prevent a serious damage.

Nice board, but man, that needs a bath.

Reply 118 of 169, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A clean computer component is a happy component.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 119 of 169, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Nice board, but man, that needs a bath.

That was how it looked like at the time of purchase. It's much cleaner now 😀 BTW the barrel battery was replaced with two aerogel supercaps for 1 farad capacitance. A single charge lasts for a few days and they will never leak.

lSwfBuB.jpg

Although this board is huge, the HP Vectra XU came even with a larger one. The beast is loaded with 2 gigs of memory! 128-bit effective memory bus made of two 64-bit interleaved channels each providing either even or odd bytes.

i8v8Lwq.jpg

My Active Sales on CPU-World