VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been contemplating this topic quite a bit recently and it applies to pretty much any collector. You can't take this junk with you into the afterlife. It is a burdeon on our next of kin to sell, plus they won't know how to sell it wisely. Begs the question, when are you planning on liquidating your collection? Does it take an illness to start the liquidation process? Old age? The obsessive compulsive nature and desire of hoarding cannot possibly be healthy. Will you have the energy and memory to sell it at 80? Will anyone still buy it? I was wondering on what all your strategies are considering liquidation on the years/decades to follow? I realise this isn't the most uplifting topic, but it must be troubling some of you.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 16, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't really plan on having this stuff into my old age. It's something fun that I'm messing around with now, but my interests change over time & I don't really want to be dragging a lifetime of crap around that I've stopped using. I tend to do a big move (like, overseas or trans-continental) every few years which is a good opportunity to cut back and refresh; I'll probably pare my retro stuff down to 2 or 3 boxes worth which cover everything (basically already have that) and get rid of my entire inventory of "spare parts" / experimenting / messing-around stuff. I've done the "maintain a storage locker in my old town" thing and would never, ever recommend doing that. Most of this stuff is going to be worth nothing once the "retro" fad dies down and we all get bored, so may as well have fun with it now & not let it become a burden.

I could see passing a few well-preserved, complete, iconic machines onto grandkids or grand-nieces/nephews one day, like my C64 setup which has been in my family since new, but nobody's going to want boxes of Socket A motherboards or ISA sound cards in the 2050s.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 16, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm already starting to sell the excess. After I hit 50 I probably sell the rest. Even if I did die suddenly my wife knows the value of most stuff and could easily sell the rest for 10-15k€ if needed.

Reply 3 of 16, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An interesting topic. This is something that I'd also thought of after recently acquiring quite a number of vintage computer hardware (mostly random parts) from a collector that has now moved to a retirement home (at the age of 78).

Although I'm much younger, I do agree that I will reach a point where I will have to let go of all my vintage computer hardware but, for the time being, I'm quite happy to still play with these.
Since my profession is not in the IT industry, this is kind of my hobby and I still enjoy it very much (and hopefully will well after I retire 😀).

What I've done (and this has proven to be quite a mission) is to start cataloguing every computer part and hardware that I have.
The simple reason is that I know I have way too many of the same parts and I want to get an idea how much I have of everything, decide what I want to keep (complete systems and some backup spare parts) and then let the rest go.

Here where I stay, we have a Vintage Computing Group going so, once I've managed to get everything sorted out, then I'd be more than happy to pass on those parts that I don't want. Those that do not attract any attention, I'll either put up on other groups or, just recycle them at my local E-Waste facility. If I can, I will hang onto some of them in case there is a demand for them in future.

Reply 5 of 16, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I imagine my stuff will probably end up in a dumpster or estate sale, if I suddenly drop dead. My brother doesn't have any interest in it, and my friend that does have an interest in it would probably only take a few things.

I don't have as big a collection as some of you guys, but I'm already thinking I need to start paring things down. I imagine if I was forced to sell the bulk of my stuff, I'd try to narrow it down to 4 systems, or maybe just 2 or 3. I don't imagine I'll be able to drag any of this stuff to a retirement home, but hopefully that's a good 30 or 40 years away.

I'm certainly not keen on having to sell this stuff at some point, but I probably will. I can, after all, only really use one system at any given time.

Reply 6 of 16, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vvbee wrote:

Why intentionally water down your life while you're still alive? If you're a collector, keep collecting until you die. The garbage truck will handle the rest.

Garbage truck??? no way.. everyone on Vogons over 50 needs to have an advanced directive for their collection. There needs to be a mechanism that, upon your death, will allow love ones to report your untimely (or timely) demise to Vogons, upon which everyone will have an opportunity to buy/rehome your stuff.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 7 of 16, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just turned 50 and I don't think I care what happens to the stuff when I die. Its not like I have the only item in existence of something extremely important to history. Most of this stuff is pretty common, even the valuable items. Heck if I live another 20-30 years who knows if this stuff will even be collectable at that time. Since it took me something like 15+ years to collect all this stuff it would probably take half that to get rid of it piece by piece and you generally keep your prized possessions for last anyway so they will be the ones trashed.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 16, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Going to keep it till dropping dead leaving it all behind as an inheritance where chances are some of the collection will end up in the hands of high paying collectors as well a lucky few to bag something on the cheap while the rest either goes to public collections or the smelter. If the world doesn't blow up and I live a full life then chances are that I got good 50 or 60 years to go if not longer due to medical care provided that it is available. Can only imagine how things have changed for my great grandpa who turned 93 last month.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 16, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm a collector of various things, I have collections of miniatures, Lego, music, and hardware. They are all very dear to me, so when the time comes to leave them behind, I will pass them on to the dearest people to me, my wife and my daughter. My wife has tolerated my hobbies and collections for so long that I know it will be of immense value and meaning to her. My daughter, I hope to get interested in my collections and hobbies to at least the point that we will have shared moments of joy indulging ourselves in them. The plan is working, so far. She joyfully climbs into her daddy's work chair and types away on his AT keyboard yellind Daddy! Work! and spends a good chunk of her day marveling at her daddy's Lego creations in locked fancy cabinets before diving into her Duplo box..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 16, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

haha I was actually thinking like 2 days ago that probably most of this stuff will stop working in another 20-30 years alot of this stuff always getting broken solder or capacitors without maintenance it will be slowly turning to dust anyway.

So way I see it enjoy it for 20-30 years then as I get old(er) I probably will not be a issue anyway, its like a new toy you play with it for first few weeks/months and want to maintain it best then you get bored and its forgotten.

Reply 11 of 16, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I'm a collector of various things, I have collections of miniatures, Lego, music, and hardware. They are all very dear to me, so when the time comes to leave them behind, I will pass them on to the dearest people to me, my wife and my daughter. My wife has tolerated my hobbies and collections for so long that I know it will be of immense value and meaning to her. My daughter, I hope to get interested in my collections and hobbies to at least the point that we will have shared moments of joy indulging ourselves in them. The plan is working, so far. She joyfully climbs into her daddy's work chair and types away on his AT keyboard yellind Daddy! Work! and spends a good chunk of her day marveling at her daddy's Lego creations in locked fancy cabinets before diving into her Duplo box..

My stash of old computer parts and systems is not a big concern, that collection is not a big one. I have four active PCs includng the main rig (an XP box, a Pentium MMX and a PIII) and I like to be with them for a long time if life allows it. Spare parts only takes a single closet, so they are not a big concern either. Five non-active systems I have (a P4, a 386, a 486, a PMMX and a PIII class celeron) is another storry though, and will probably the the first ones to go, probably in a not so distant future. The problem here is, there is no established market for retro hardware around where I live.

The much bigger concern is Lego (about 250.000 pieces of plastic in all colors and shapes, sorted accordingly takes a huge amount of space and are much more valuable compared to electronic junk). If my daughter will not be interested in them in her adult life as much as I do, they will probably be liquadated when the time comes.

There are also the DVDs and books (thousands of them) but I think it is less of a concern, since I (or my next of kin if something sudden happens) can always donate them to a library if my daughter will not be interested in having them.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 12 of 16, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suspect pretty much until I pop my clogs, hopefully well into my nineties or later..

However, my collecting is slowing down partly due to time and space, but also because I've collected most of the systems I want for now. I have little interest in the 8 bits after having a day dedicated to them recently and deciding to move on. Retro hardware is great, but it's important to keep up to date with modern systems too. Doubtless when Windows 14 comes out, some parts of Windows 10 games will stop working, and yet another retro box will be needed.

When I retire I'll have plenty of spare time, and if the collection still isn't getting used I'll pass it on.

The other possibility is that emulation becomes so good that it's not worth using hardware. I've reached that point with the 8 bits, and I can't tell the difference between DOSBox Commander Keen and the real hardware. I want a setup that's easy to use and lets me actually play games instead of just fiddling around.

Reply 13 of 16, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When to let it go? Never. As long as You live. At the same time, there goes a red line not to cross and which you should put yourself --- there are many other things which You must AVOID as they are distractions from hobby, but those distractions are nuissance. So there is also a need to SET TIME for this hobby and not just hoarding the items (which is Gear Acquisition Syndrome), as that last one is really exhausting.

Dont we love our lovely hobby?
hobby can be in a three different forms of them -- learning, doing, collecting. But we need it in order to feel fine and thats what the boys do. All ages. But girls dont.

After reading all these posts here... then I came to conclusion ---
The ideology is just simple --- if you live for it, then have it. People still read books, love vinyl records, yet despite the fact they are possible to read/listen from computers. Despite emulations it is not the same as holding a vinyl disc or reading a physical book, as it is not in the comfort zone for those who prefer to read the book. ALso thats why people go to cinema, instead of watching movies at home.

1. Some things are which make you happy, provide comfort and nurture you. Keep them. They are the precious ones.
2. Some are which provide zero enjoyment, but are not under our control - the latest modern systems. Those become as useless and obsolete just as the giants say they are obsolete, but you
got them in first place becouse otherwise you could not make your job. THOSE ones are not needed. Those are things which own you instead.

3. About physical or emulation is the one rule -- get physical things and keep it, if it makes you happier. worrying makes your life shorter. Just like old dudes need their own home environment (after moving they end up much sooner than expected), so it is needed to keep also all other in your comfort zone and under your control and it is natural to avoid all enforced rules.
It is much better than to regret 20 years later "why I did not got that while I had the chance" or making excuses ("emulation..."). Money you can get always more, otherwise the inflation will just eat it up. Also the one ressource - time - you cant get again.

The only things which is meant to trash away is the new computers and "just becoming obsolete" 5 year old computers - those are artificially establishing but provide zero joy. They are those what I really do not need it, while the organizations try to establish silly things "it is needed to you" while I really do not need them -- (ID-card readers, while I can get away with a paper instead!).

ynari wrote:

Retro hardware is great, but it's important to keep up to date with modern systems too.

But can you explain WHY important? About modern system there is no benefit to my hobby nor health, it only creates new expenses, but corporations have made its development process mainly becouse of its commerce of its own to keep it rolling and they try to push it also to other life areas even where it is not needed. Just to keep and expand.
Well... I just elaborate more, but well, just add your arguments too! I am interested to see where it leads or where it ends with which conclusions. 😉

new technology in general in electronics of course... great, if there are tools available while talking about the processors and programmable things. But now it has ended. Becouse the software is not sold but "licenced" and thus rubbish to work later on, becouse I cant just to take out from the closet to work on the same old project 20 year later on again to check something.
ALso the new programs act the similar way -- the ones which use the server or the online program (FreePCB for example was such which used online autorouter , while I had no idea about that until it was offline). So, I have got several lessons about these new software items which are "called back" and quit working, while the much more obsolete programs work on much better and require old hardware still.

My thoughts about all that here elaborated in detail...
Lets call those nuissances trendy computers and all other artificially created "needs" by companies, becouse in first place we really do NOT need them and neither we want to have them, but STILL they are the ones who endlessly try to push and make you dependant on it until you catch yourself from the thought that you need it, becouse something says "not supported anymore, upgrade", while behind that there is actually just the business ideology, scareware and nothing more. Thus the limits are artificially implanted, just like the newer hardware drivers versions are not supporting this or that "old" platform anymore.
If not really thinking "what am I doing?", then it leads to confusion and not living really fully.

I know a man who is using now more than 20 years the same computer with his LPKF milling machine and its software. Nowadays I do not imagine the software which still works after taking out the closet 20 years later! Nowadays it is very possible the situation that the fresh installed software which was used only at once wont work after the computer is switched on year later (it says "new version is out, new platform is out, buy again", right?).
I think thats never a option for a old tired man who does not live for forced-on endless upgrade circle. He does NOT need "new other things", or "new way of doing things". While he was working in a cell-phone company in engineering section he was a early version adopter, but once he quit he said "From now I do not buy a new telephone next 10 years atleast". What a attitude change. 😉 Also all is organized just to minimize all costs and to keep it that way and happy with it and all that offline is working perfectly.
So, based on all that the real danger is from the trendy software which closes down its "support", and not the 20 year old machine with that old software perfectly working and going on.

Some things about the new technology I still like, for example Blu-Ray burners, and Blu-Ray discs, new packing algorithms/codecs but of course I would have just ignored all that if those wont be possible to integrate into my existing systems and only becouse I can put them in a closet and they are still there.
But at the same time "trendy" things like "cloud" I despise becouse they have habit of vanishing (what a pun), dependant on internet connection which is fragile and missing often. So it just is not like my server in my LAN at my reach on the troublesome times.

IMHO about newest hardware and software there are improvements, but it is all lost in newest ideology of software sales -- the company charges money but take that software away later again by their vicious way of ending support as their programs need to "call home" in order to function. Or the program is not really sold, but "licenced" with the same price like in the past the oldfashioned offline version was. That way is also the FPGA/CPLD developments environment, about which I had the nasty experience lately.
And of course lets not forget the non-desktop items -- how often people now are forced to swap their iPads, iPhones and such things becouse this or that does not work anymore? I never use them as I cant really make myself something to them, and it requires mobile internet or requires wifi, but all can be done much simpler way or better -- just without it.

So, I beg to humble differ, becouse so far it all raises the question -- is it all that fuzz about development about hardware then really necessary? In my computer the only ones scream for update and thus dictate the "upgrade" are some websites which require newer browser, which dictates the requirement for a newer OS, which dictates the requirement for a newer machine! Otherwise I would never do it for just this simple function -- to pay bills. While at the same time I see no reason why the newer browser should not be supported by the older os system too.
There are many situations where old programs and hardware is more than enough. But the companies try to render it not to be this way and longevity, reliability is not their goal. BUt I do not live for their expectations that I should go along with their enforced updates becouse to me the ideology is to buy just one time and to use forever once it is enough to me and I stick to my routine.
What about if you make software Yourself? Or hardware? While if I make a ISA expansion board, then I do not make it just to redesign it over after 2 years, neither I do my own programs from the scratch again just becouse it is 2 years old! In reality the complex software development takes so much time that when finishing, then those "giants" have already dictated that the newer platforms (or also hardware) is the one to use.
And yet we hear so much about that you should conserve energy and to not make so much trash, but all this is flushed down when it meets the corporations interest about sales.

Also at home home environment there shall be no place for that, becouse at home shall be "my home, my rules, my control" about everything. Just like there is no place for computer in a bedroom, it is for sleeping.
Becouse of that my fellow radioamateur uses a quite modern computer no more than once in a month - just for paying the bills and here it all ends. I understood radiohams this way -- nothing more required as it is nuissance and headache otherwise. In ideal way there should be no place for a software which wants to "call home" or other backdoors as they make him restless. There can be how many software versions out but it is never needed as he sits on the middlewave hamradio band and goes hunting/fishing.
So -- The only things with expiration date shall be allowed only for food, but never for a computer software or hardware! Yet the M$ and other computer corporations think otherwise.

What about simple life areas which was without computers before? Now THATS the nightmare becouse it is phasing out the other alternatives. The institutions say it is becouse people wont use it but actually they agitate to use the more electronic channels. But this is NOT the freedom, development. this is the technological bolshevism!
Also worst is that the computers requirement are pushed into areas where it is better to live without it as it creates a huge dependency chain in order to do something with a computer while on a oldfashioned way it was ONE plain paper (be it a document or a cash).
Now in a millenia its all pushed on people with all that making a vicious dependency chain, by trying to enforce it via activities which was possible to do WITHOUT computer involvement (e-voting, paying bills) and later it is worst if it is the only option.
Becouse with computer you need not only a piece of junk but there are requirements for a 10 dependant chain expensive things. (count up what "fresh" things you need in order to buy a plane ticket from distance -- electricity, computer, os, browser, e-bank or credit card, working internet connection hardware and subscription for it AND the servers and routers all working outside your reach). Oldfashioned way is simple -- cash over counter with human other side. 😉
And several other "services" have longer dependency chain (for example network stream service subscription compared to oldfashioned cd-player).

You do not agree with everyone on the street if they say "go to another side!", dont you? But the people do not really think so when it comes to about "new" computers and software things.
So, this way that all hardware and software development in this form does not really benefit the users, but it benefits only software companies as they can take users more under their own control, replace humans with machines, while still keeping the prices high... name whatever life area you like.

Also I counted that there are dark sides about the technology development, if just using it uncautiously or in excess.
I remember that while I was using the chats, usenet, newsgroups on 1994, it was not up to everyones knowledge and thus very few ones knew how to use internet. I thought that 4 hours in a day was a way too much but, ... it was not even close to what happened now when all that fuckbook and pseudosocial networks were pressed on to masses! Now people do it constantly, all the time; reading every 2 minutes their phone and while they are around the table, they all are writing texts instead of talking!
Back in the past there was some similar scream about excess TV watching -- There were times when it was decided that the TV with its 100 channels is the death of the family communication -- becouse before TV arrival the friends, colleauges, cousins were talking to each other and playing at least. But after that TV arrived, then their only entertainment is to watch TV silently.

All that shit like this happening in background, make me despise citys. Otherwise, just the idea of building, the retro hardware with 3.5MHz CPU speeds is amusing and relaxing while living in the forest or doing some woodwork / antenna tower work.

So, a new technology yes, but that would not make sense, becouse most common denominator of people have the computer just for communication and entertainment, it is all there already,
and the only things which happen or change is the politics behind it by limiting more and more the freedom and invading privacy instead. (oh yeah, still even those who say that they have nothing to hide, still mind privacy intruding, and have also curtains at home!)

(well, it would be dream if it would be for astronomy calculus, music making, etc..., however it is very likely opposite - the use of not at all so new hardware will be in use instead.)
So, I really propose somewhat going back like it was before where computers by memory size was considered like this: 64..128kB SMALL, 256kB medium... and so while 12MB memory computers were for institutions usage.

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 15 of 16, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^Wut.

Anyway, I'm already at the "time to let it go!" stage, and have been heaving 95% of my stash at auction sites, thrift stores, and e-recyclers over the past ~3 years. Too many of my finds have been improperly stored, and have as a result developed corrosion/10cm-thick dust layers/etc... and seeing that is when it hit me. (Not that any of my stuff was especially rare or high-end, mind you.) A few choice items that have actual palpable sentimental/memorable history behind their presence on my shelves are being kept, but that's it for me. Marvelling at others' well-kept collections online is turning out to be much more fun... and a significantly smaller burden on the brain over time.

Reply 16 of 16, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Muz wrote:

You guys wanna play Windows 95 in heaven?

Fasttracker does not run on that with midi port up to my expectations.
I play DOS instead on something which still has the ISA bus

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!