VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know lots of people have done comparisons, but I'm not aware of a site that ties it together. Is anyone aware of one?

Specifically the best version for various games (i.e. Ultima has a *lot* of different platforms supported, on the early versions home computers may be a better choice than the personal computers. As game complexity increases, this changes), and also whether it's useful, mandatory, or not recommended to play with mods..

Reply 1 of 2, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is much difference in game balance between Diablo II LOD versions 1.09 and 1.10+, and 1.14 changed compatibility and don`t have even D2VideoTest.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 2 of 2, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I'm quite interested in this problem as well but I not aware of a centralised resource that would contains this kind of information across many games. It's probably not feasible because there may be lots of differences between released versions of a game, that may have a varying impact on gameplay and playing experience in general.

Probably your best bet is to research each particular game you're interested in, many have this kind of information either in wikis or passed around in dedicated communities. However sadly such differences are often scarcely documented, and probably not at all for obscure titles.

Additionally "best" may be a subjective quality that is hard to gauge in a bias-free form. Theoretically, the rule of thumb should be that the newest release is the best version, however considering how often bugs are inadvertently introduced in updates this is sadly not always the case. I'm not even talking about titles that are still updated with legacy support for older OSs being dropped.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games