VOGONS

Common searches

This forum is very hard to use from a mobile device

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 42 of 80, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

There is work being done on a forum upgrade which will include a different look, it should work better on phones, but might not be as great on very old machines. Those haven't been tested yet.
The dominant color will continue to be purple, except the font is currently white for better contrast. But of course things might change as it is still work in progress.

I don't see any white wording. Words on this site are white if they're a link and you hover over them. I'm not criticizing or anything, I'm just making a statement (if you were referring to my first post in this topic). I just hope there won't be too many changes to the board style, which might upset people who already enjoy the current Vogons theme/template 😎

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 43 of 80, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

unless you have permission by Qbix you can't see the white font. He is talking about the new look that is being worked on behind the scenes...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 45 of 80, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

unless you have permission by Qbix you can't see the white font. He is talking about the new look that is being worked on behind the scenes...

I'm guessing I do not have permission then... 😦
Does this whole "white wording" thing mean that there's going to be no more brown words? And if Qbix is going to be adding the white font, maybe he could spice it up by having it as sort of a "blueish white" color, that'd be neat.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 47 of 80, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At first it was a bit difficult to use Vogons on Android. Yet if you learn a bit of tricks on how to use it on something like Android. Well. Then I see no problems here. Sure I have to zoome in and out, using two fingers. Yet that is a part of the charme. A tiny bit annoying that it is kind of hard to upload files and pictures from a mobile device. Yet there is no need for it. Just use a real computer and not a crippeled computer. Well... Mobile devices are kind of crippeled by nature, compared to a real computer.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 48 of 80, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I check Vogons forums everyday from my iphone 7. While I'm sure the experience could be better, but it really doesn't bother me at all. I certainly wouldn't say it's hard.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 49 of 80, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can read the forum from my Android phone, too, with 5.7" edge-to-edge screen, in landscape orientation using Chrome.
Please don't change the style of vogons.org that we had accustomed to for the disgusting touch UI interface. This forum is great as it is now!

Reply 50 of 80, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BinaryDemon wrote:

I check Vogons forums everyday from my iphone 7. While I'm sure the experience could be better, but it really doesn't bother me at all. I certainly wouldn't say it's hard.

Same here, iPhone X. I try portrait mode, but it’s annoying so I end using landscape mode. A little better

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 51 of 80, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Android phone makes the site not good for my eyesight in portrait mode and sometimes, landscape mode is a bit worse or works in some cases.

I can pair my phone to my 43" 4K Roku TV and the text is better on there.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 52 of 80, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Snover just sent me this preview showing the current state of the new smartphone friendly forum UI!

Any thoughts?

New smartphone friendly Vogons.png

Reminds me of late 90’s early 2000s website designs. More like early 2000s, these kind of buttons were a trend in that era.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 53 of 80, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bfcastello wrote:

Reminds me of late 90’s early 2000s website designs. More like early 2000s, these kind of buttons were a trend in that era.

That's an old joke post, hope you knew that. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 54 of 80, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Good morning! The joke is THAT old? Lol

I didn’t knew that.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 56 of 80, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bfcastello wrote:
Stiletto wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Good morning! The joke is THAT old? Lol

I didn’t knew that.

No, it dates from 2013: Re: The Demise of MobyGames

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 57 of 80, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just saw a forum using a Windows 9x style theme. I thought it was amazing, but I didn't want to disclose the url or name here because I don't know what really are the rules here for this type of thing...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 58 of 80, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

Snover just sent me this preview showing the current state of the new smartphone friendly forum UI!

Any thoughts?

New smartphone friendly Vogons.png

I'll admit, first time I saw that, I was actually frightened. Took a minute to sink in.

About this site's mobile usability, I don't have any issue with it. In fact, I'm posting this from my Galaxy phone right now. It has a 5 inch screen, and while the text is small, I can still read it. I have no problem zooming in. On my 10" Android tablet, it's just like the desktop site. I also have a 7 inch Windows 8.1 tablet that I occasionally post from, although I do have to do a bit of zooming on it.

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎