VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a sad fact that nowadays most console games have post-release patches to fix the bugs that the too-few professional beta testers managed to catch in the too-short time that they have before the game is released. It's annoying, not least because in the future, when the console's servers have been shut down, then when you install the game (via it's disc) on your console, then you can't get the patches, so you'll stuck with playing the bugged version of the game you paid good money for.

It's not good, and as is common with the gaming industry, it's only getting worse. And three years back Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5 on the PS4 lowered the bar even further when it became the first game to have a patch that was larger than the game installation; you install 4.6 GB from the disc, then you download a patch of 7.7 GB.

But Spyro on the XBox One has apparently taken this to a whole new level of ****-the-customer; The game's physical disc contains an installer file of 238.77 MB. And then you need to download 42.10 GB! That means the disc contains less than 1% of the game's total data. I'm not saying gaming companies are trying to force gamers to go digital or anything, but this is surely one game disc that will be useless to the person who bought it in a few years time, when the day comes that the console's servers are shut down.

Well, not for everyone, I suppose. If your XBox One is modded (is that even possible yet?), then you'll no doubt be able to download the game and the patch for free and even back it up on your PC. But the honest gamers, who pay good money for the game and probably don't have a modded console, well, they'll have to either forget about playing the game, or buy the remaster on the next console, since the gaming industry has now discovered that if they recompile an old game for a newer machine, increase the game's screen resolution, make a half-hearted attempt to re-detail some of the textures, and mention phrases like "Ambient occlusion", "Depth of field", and "All new post-processing" in the press releases and pre-game release interviews, then countless gamers will buy the same game as they bought five years ago, because OMG d00d it's in ultra hi-res.

Reply 1 of 18, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen some PC games many years ago that shipped with an empty CD. Well, almost empty. It had the Steam installer on it, which was like 5MB or something like that.

So basically the "physical" release of the game was an empty CD with a Steam key printed on a sticker.

But wait, it gets worse. There's physical releases of games today that don't contain the game. You need to buy it. Not joking:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/08/130-b … e-with-the-game

Reply 2 of 18, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is why I don't buy consoles anymore or latest gen PC games. Everything is geared toward "software as a service" and "assumed" high speed internet access. How I miss the old days of just slipping in a game CD and it just works!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 18, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
realnc wrote:
I've seen some PC games many years ago that shipped with an empty CD. Well, almost empty. It had the Steam installer on it, whic […]
Show full quote

I've seen some PC games many years ago that shipped with an empty CD. Well, almost empty. It had the Steam installer on it, which was like 5MB or something like that.

So basically the "physical" release of the game was an empty CD with a Steam key printed on a sticker.

But wait, it gets worse. There's physical releases of games today that don't contain the game. You need to buy it. Not joking:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/08/130-b … e-with-the-game

I was given the Homeworld Remaster collections edition as a Birthday gift when it came out. Inside it only had a code to redeem on steam for the game to be added to my library. Sure it had all the other stuff too that came with the collections edition, but I was surprised that a physical copy of the game was not part of it. Like you stated, what happens in say another 10 years if I decide to want to play it again, but Steam isn't available anymore? Even if I have a PC that is era specific for the game at the time, there might not be a way to play it if it doesn't support offline mode on Steam.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 4 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the digital delivery method allows the companies to save on costs for distribution, patching, extra content, etc., it's pretty obvious why they would use it. Apparently it's good enough for most gamers.

In the PC single-player world - it's not a problem. You just decouple the purchase of the license from the procuring of the game content: buy the game any way you want, then download your favorite pirated repack with full content, make as many backup copies as you want, and play that.

This may be a problem for multiplayer games that don't allow pirated copies onto the servers, but the way the industry is set up, I believe that if the official game data servers are dead, so are the servers that enable online gaming.

I don't know at all how console players would handle this problem.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote:

How I miss the old days of just slipping in a game CD and it just works!

The flip-side of that is having to deal with annoying CD copy protection. I always got annoyed having to either manually insert a CD every time I wanted to play a game or hunt down no-CD cracks to strip the games of that protection. The latter of which would typically be undone by any subsequent game patches.

I much prefer modern digital distribution. Being able to more easily buy and install games whenever I want, not futzing around with physical media, having auto-updates, etc.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CrossBow777 wrote:

Like you stated, what happens in say another 10 years if I decide to want to play it again, but Steam isn't available anymore?

People had a lot of the same fear when Steam first launched. 15 years later and it's still going strong.

Given what a cash cow Steam has been for Valve, I don't see a huge risk in its demise. Even if Valve was to go out of business or something, most likely it would simply be bought up by some other company.

The other thing to consider is that most games have become so inexpensive that re-buying on other platforms is also becoming a lot more common. I have copies of games on both Steam and GoG for example; I've bought them so heavily discounted that the overall cost sink is minimal compared to the old days of buying physical media.

There is a much biggest risk of digital distribution going kaput when it comes to small, independent publishers. I've seen this happen with certain types of professional software requiring online activations. Companies have gone out of business leaving the end users with dead software.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 8 of 18, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote:
buckeye wrote:

How I miss the old days of just slipping in a game CD and it just works!

The flip-side of that is having to deal with annoying CD copy protection. I always got annoyed having to either manually insert a CD every time I wanted to play a game or hunt down no-CD cracks to strip the games of that protection. The latter of which would typically be undone by any subsequent game patches.

I much prefer modern digital distribution. Being able to more easily buy and install games whenever I want, not futzing around with physical media, having auto-updates, etc.

Digital distribution of games has good and bad points. I do prefer digital downloads for the PC, for various reasons, such as the price (GOG and Steam have some fantastic sales), convenience (hundreds of games on one hard drive vs hundreds of game discs), and being able to easily get old games that probably wouldn't be available in a physical shop any longer).

But on consoles (or at least the PS4), the sales don't seem as good price-wise, there's real concern of you one day not being able to re-download the games you've paid for (GOG and Steam might go on for decades, but the servers for a console WILL stop a short while (a few years at most) after the console's commercial life is over, see the original XBox for example, and the PS3 and XBox 360's online services can't last much longer), and even if the next generation of your console (such as the PS4 over the PS3) has backwards compatibility, then there's no guarantee that you'll be allowed to re-download the game to use it on the new console's backwards compatibility.

And there's the collectors' point of view too. Many people who collect games would like to put their games on view, on a shelf or somewhere, which you can't do with digital games. Plus you can't lend a digital game to a friend, or sell the game when you get bored or it, and you can't will your digital game collection to someone else when you die. You can do all of that with physical game discs.

Reply 9 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Convenience will always win out. You see this with most issues since people are lazy. You can't stop it and you'd be seen as crazy to try.

As gaming as become ever more popular it's only going to get worse and you'll be seen as the crazy person. Figure out ways to deal with it yourself by only purchasing games from devs that have the same mindset and/or use cracks or emulators for the games you can.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote:

Plus you can't lend a digital game to a friend, or sell the game when you get bored or it, and you can't will your digital game collection to someone else when you die. You can do all of that with physical game discs.

That's part of the plan. The publishers obviously don't want people to do that. They want everyone to buy a new license. It's understandable.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 18, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see what's so inconvenient about pulling a PC game down from the shelf, installing it, and playing. The only thing that slightly annoys me is when the game is basically entirely installed to the HDD but you still need to put in the disc to play. When the game streams CD audio, FMVs, etc. from the CD, it's not as annoying to me.

Reply 12 of 18, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

That's part of the plan. The publishers obviously don't want people to do that. They want everyone to buy a new license. It's understandable.

And that's also fucking retarded.

Reply 13 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:

I don't see what's so inconvenient about pulling a PC game down from the shelf, installing it, and playing.

I also don't see what's inconvenient about going to an outhouse when needed, but most people prefer indoor toilets.

The only thing that slightly annoys me is when the game is basically entirely installed to the HDD but you still need to put in the disc to play. When the game streams CD audio, FMVs, etc. from the CD, it's not as annoying to me.

That's even more annoying, since the CD is so slow. Internal drives are huge today, no need to stick to a 2-decade old workaround to a problem that has since been solved ten times over.

dr_st wrote:

And that's also fucking retarded.

That's your point of view (I wonder if your choice of username is related...) There is no clear right or wrong here; every party just wants to take care of its own interests.

Reply 14 of 18, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:
Kerr Avon wrote:

Plus you can't lend a digital game to a friend, or sell the game when you get bored or it, and you can't will your digital game collection to someone else when you die. You can do all of that with physical game discs.

I've been careful not to add my Warcraft III keys to my blizzard account, because as I understand it, once that is done it can't be undone and nobody else will be able to play my game.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 15 of 18, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After waking up one day and finding that not only could I not download new Wii apps, but my existing ones self deleted, I'll not be buying any game I don't have a full physical copy of. If I purchase something I expect it's mine, in perpetuity. If they want to remove it from me I expect my money refunded.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 16 of 18, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

(I wonder if your choice of username is related...)

My username is related to unlicensed/pirate Famicom games. When I came up with the name nearly 8 years ago, I had a much bigger interest in that stuff than I do now. Oh well.

Reply 17 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote:

The flipside of that is supply-side limitations are no longer an issue, as it might be with a physical copy. It does effectively eliminate collectibility and the secondary market (for the most part).

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 18 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well...in theory
http://blog.archive.org/2018/11/13/wasted-a-c … igital-lending/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline