VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 120 of 124, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do not think it's possible they are sharing the same device ID. I do not remember off hand, the earliest I'll be able to check in 12hrs. I mount C: in the command line of the script that launches DosBox because I was trying to set the volume size information at the same time, but ultimately that did not work quite right either. It's possible if you see a C: mount in startup.bat that it's some hold over from previous testing and that it's being ignored because C: is already set when DosBox is launched.

Followup: My test unit shows /mnt/sda1 as the internal flash storage.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 121 of 124, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I did more testing with this over the weekend and with BD's assistance in these forums I've gotten quite a lot of game playing enjoyment from the comfort of my couch! I also found it sounds really good using the Adlib driver from the IBM specific Silpheed that adds stereo OPL3 support. Pretty much tossed this driver into all the Sierra games minus the later VGA games as most of them will lockup with this driver selected.

My only complaint is the sound volume from this thing. I have multiple systems plugged into a pretty crazy AV setup in my game room that I've got this 10Z plugged into. The volume on this is so low coming from the headphone jack that I have to crank my AV receiver up to a point where I'm hearing the floor noise coming through..ugh. And yes I've messed with the VOL setting and it appears to be a 100% by default in addition to the mixer settings being at 100 already as well. My guess is the volume on the actual Linus Tinycore driver needs to be upped a bit before Dosbox kicks in.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 122 of 124, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I've seen another fix I need to implement, I've known that when using the usb drive from flash storage, if the usb drive is particularly slow dosbox wont start before the monitoring script does. Basically the monitoring script thinks you exited dosbox and shuts the system down. Seems that this effects even the internal ide flash storage on these thin clients, as ive been filling up C:, I've seen a few times where the thin client starts up and shuts down. Fortunately next reboot it started fast enough. So bad for you guys, because there's not an easy fix but good to know.

I never guessed the internal ide flash storage could slow down so significantly.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Reply 123 of 124, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not following along on this? The only issue I have with the startup is just how long it take from power on to finally getting my prompt due to it having to unpack the image file into the drive space each time it is powered up. But aside from that it is plenty fast enough once loaded up. I've played a few missions of Wing Commander and while the speed is very inconsistent, it is quite playable at least. I've not tested Wing II but I imagine it will have the same issue that game does on my primary gaming PC under dosbox. That being the issue with your weapon shots just keep shooting even when you have your finger off the mouse..ugh.

I do find that playing games is a little better with the older logitech keyboard I've been using with the 10Z because my current gaming keyboard doesn't like multiple key presses and so it can be difficult to play some older dos games that relied on this. Same issues happen in MAME because of the Anti-ghosting the keyboard has built in.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 124 of 124, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was mostly a note for myself when reviewing this thread later.

Check out DOSBox Distro: