VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 41, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Do audiophiles really have OCD, or is it just a stereotype?

😜 I see what you did there.

Audiophiles really form a monoculture, they are all them same.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 21 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
doaks80 wrote:

Audiophiles really form a monoculture, they are all them same.

You mean stereoculture.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 23 of 41, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess we can all agree that they are of a high fidelity culture?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25 of 41, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My ears aren't what they used to be either. Just gotta make the most of what you have. 😀

j^aws wrote:

Hmm, don't have them in a nice 40 U tall rack unit; currently looking at rack options

I don't either, so my modules are currently sitting unused in piles. Hoping to fix that soon. I am finalizing plans for racks and shelving in my office, but I think I still have a few square centimeters of floor and wall space I haven't found a hobby for yet.

I will also probably spend the rest of my life designing the matrices that bind together all the various audio, video, and I/O interfaces of PCs, MIDI devices, old game consoles, various input devices, TVs, LCDs, CRTs, and the room surround and workstation audio monitor systems. The goal is to be able to sit on the couch and play Warcraft II on a Pentium with a cordless USB KB / mouse and displayed on the wall-mounted 4K TV, or... send the NES composite video output to the 1280x1024 LCD panel at my workbench, etc etc...

PS: I thought I had too many modules (LOL "too many" -- right...), but that's an impressive list. There's some stuff there that I've got to look into.

Reply 27 of 41, by Andrew T.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

An obsession I have is that I want to be able to turn a computer off myself. If I shut down Windows, I don't want the system unit to power off automatically...I want it to leave me at a "safe to turn off" screen where I have the freedom and satisfaction of physically pushing the power button (or better yet, flicking a red switch) with my finger.

When I run Windows 9x on a system with a soft-touch power switch, I disable advanced power management in CMOS so that it shuts down the way I want it to. Unfortunately, it's difficult or impossible to affect this behaviour on newer OSes.

Reply 28 of 41, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I build systems to cover 2 or 3 year eras. For a system build to be complete for me, I must have installed every single game from that timeframe that I want to eventualy (re-)play.

Building a system: 1 day
Installing (and sometimes obsessively trying to acquire original copies of) games: Weeks

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 29 of 41, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When installing retro games, in particular floppy disk releases, they MUST be installed from the original media (or disk images via Gotek) using the official installer. Unzipping a file or copying a folder with the pre-installed game just won't do it for me. I guess it reminds me of the anticipation when installing a new game back then.

Also, when looking for original copies of games that were released in both floppy and CD formats, I always seek the floppy version as that's the only one that feels "real" to me (besides a few exceptions). Although it's a silly obsession, in some cases the floppy releases are better (i.e. music in Alone in the Dark for example) and less bloated than their CD counterparts.

Reply 30 of 41, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always delete files as soon as I'm done with them... sometimes it comes back to haunt me. Bad habit. Then again, I don't have a cluttered desktop...

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 31 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

I always delete files as soon as I'm done with them... sometimes it comes back to haunt me. Bad habit. Then again, I don't have a cluttered desktop...

Seriously? Let say, you've just finished writing a business proposal. Do you immediately delete it after submitting it to your client?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 32 of 41, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Seriously? Let say, you've just finished writing a business proposal. Do you immediately delete it after submitting it to your client?

He likes to live dangerously.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 33 of 41, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

NO, stuff like that I keep.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 34 of 41, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Forgot to mention my OCD for DOS speed sensitive games, setmul, and benchmarking Pentium Test Registers with setmul. 😊

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 35 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

NO, stuff like that I keep.

What kind of stuff you immediately delete then?

Reply 36 of 41, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

mostly if I download archives and extract them, then delete the archives immediately... nothing terribly important

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 37 of 41, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

mostly if I download archives and extract them, then delete the archives immediately... nothing terribly important

It bothers me to no end, especially from a disk space and clutter standpoint, when I'm maintaining our work file servers and I'll find a <filename.zip> and next to it, the <filename> folder where someone unzipped it and left the original archive behind. Grr.

Reply 38 of 41, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thallanor wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

It bothers me to no end, especially from a disk space and clutter standpoint, when I'm maintaining our work file servers and I'll find a <filename.zip> and next to it, the <filename> folder where someone unzipped it and left the original archive behind. Grr.

So do you delete the unzipped folder or the .zip file? After all, the .zip takes up less space and can be easily unzipped again if needed.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 39 of 41, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm a big deleter of files too and yes it costs me sometimes. But compare that to the bloody devs I work with who "backup" everything before doing anything and leave copies of crap all over the place, even production! Entire applications!

PRODUCTION!

ImportantBusinessApplication.20140306

Delete delete delete

Life? Don't talk to me about life.