VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, my name is Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman and I have obsessive-compulsive disorder.

First, I'm an audiophile, so it goes with the territory. Also, collecting things is something that runs on my family. My grandfather (from father's side) liked to collect horses, while my father liked to collect 4WDs (the FJ40 Land Cruiser I inherited was his most prized posession) and diving watches. My grandfather (from mother's side) and my beloved mother liked to collect books. So I think it's natural that I like to collect retro games and retro computer hardware, but I believe I'm not the only one here with such obsession, otherwise the thread wouldn't be that long, no?

I also have a rather obscure OCD of writing about games and gameplay. Once clueless1 mentioned that my gaming after-action reports were pretty intimidating with all the screenshots and sheer length, and I think such length is nothing but the result of my obsessive tendency --I'm just compelled to write such lenghty reports, and I just can't help it.

I also impulsively wash my hands and brush my teeth dozens of times daily for no apparent reason, but that is not related to computing and computer games, so let's not go there.

However, my worst OCD is probably printing computer game manuals.

01-martian-dreams-and-savage-empire-self-printed-documentation.jpg
Martian Dreams and Savage Empire documentations printed from my GoG copy.

Above is a picture of Martian Dreams and Savage Empire documentations --self-printed and ring-bound by yours truly. I got the two games for free as complimentary games from GoG.com. However, I'm never satisfied with PDF manuals. I always want real, hardcopy, ring-bound manuals, with laminated covers. So there.

I didn't bind those books myself, by the way. I merely print them, then took them to a local document service provider to bind them. Document services are cheap here in Indonesia, and my most frequently visited area for the purpose is Jalan Dipati Ukur, Bandung.

But wait, why did I use game box covers for my printed manual, instead of the manual's own cover? Isn't Martian Dreams manual cover supposed to look like this instead of this? Well it's because my printed manuals are actually complete documentations --reference card, fold-out map, the manual itself, and sometimes clue book as well; all ring-bound as a single physical book. The manual itself is nothing but a chapter in the book. As such, manual cover like this is used as section cover instead of the book cover itself.

02-the-self-printed-docs-include-foldout-maps-martian-dreams.jpg
03-the-self-printed-docs-include-foldout-maps-savage-empire.jpg
My self-printed game manuals include fold-out maps, examples are Martian Dreams (above) and Savage Empire (below).

04-the-self-printed-docs-include-quick-reference-cards-both-g.jpg
The manuals also include quick reference cards...

05-the-self-printed-docs-include-clue-books-both-games.jpg
...and sometimes clue book too!

I'm also obsessed to 'fix' my softcopy manuals before printing them. For example, Martian Dreams softcopy manual from GoG has two manual pages for each PDF page. Well that would make printing difficult, especially when you want duplex printing. So I convert the PDF pages into JPG files, then arrange them using MS Word to re-create a proper manual.

06-martian-dreams-original-manual-from-GOG-two-pages-per-PDF.jpg
The GoG manual has two manual pages for each PDF page.

07-martian-dreams-post-processed-manual-one-page-per-word-pa.jpg
My re-created manual correctly has one manual page for each MS Word page.

Sometimes, a softcopy manual correctly has a single manual page for each PDF page, but I tend to fix anything that annoys me. For example, The Punisher game manual is not contrast enough, so I convert the PDF into JPGs, auto-correct the contrast ratio using Photoshop, then re-arranged the JPGs in MS Word to properly re-create the manual.

08-the-punisher-PDF-manual-from-abandonia-insufficient-contr.jpg
09-the-punisher-post-processed-manual-improved-contrast.jpg
The Punisher game manual before I fixed the contrast ratio (above) and after (below).

Many times I already have the hardcopy manual of the games I own, but I'm pretty much dissatisfied because the manual isn't ring-bound, and its cover isn't laminated, so I hunt down the PDF on the internet in order to print it accordingly.

10-ssi-stronghold-manual-original-left-and-my-ring-bound-a.jpg
SSI Stronghold manual; the original manual that came with the box is on the left, while my properly ring-bound and cover-laminated manual is on the right.

Now, the following is probably gray area, but I also like to hunt abandonware game manuals too, then print them properly, ring-bound and laminated covers. I focus on very rare games, though. And of course, printing abandonware game manuals doesn't stop me from buying the game if I happened to spot them on ebay.

11-hyperspeed-manual-one-of-my-rare-collections.jpg
12-d-day-manual-one-of-my-rare-collections.jpg
13-hfro-manual-one-of-my-rare-collections.jpg
Rare stuff.

The photos below show the result of my obsessive-compulsive disorder, accumulated for years. Not even the happiness of marriage could completely stop my disorder, as I'm still churning out game manuals, although at lower rate.

14-the-results-of-my-unhealthy-obsession.jpg
Accumulated years of OCD.

15-the-results-of-my-unhealthy-obsession.jpg
And no, I haven't even shown you all the game manuals I've printed.

But that's not the end of story; there is actually a very sweet memory regarding my OCD.

You see, it was 2013, and my mother just purchased an ebook she needed during her doctorate work --which she took a year earlier. Yes, my mother took a doctorate program when she was 69 years-old. Her doctoral advisors were actually her former students, but she didn't mind. As a university lecturer, she had written text books, and she planned to write one about foreign direct investments in developing countries, and their influence on regional development. However, she felt her future book would hold better scientific validity if it was tried and peer-reviewed through a doctoral program.

My mother was so full of life, still eager to pursue her scholarly passion. It was so saddening she passed away before finishing her doctorate program.

Anyway, mother always preferred physical book than ebook, so she asked me to print it out. She was happy with paperback binding --which is cheap and easy to do, but not very comfortable to read. She was also happy with black-and-white cover and non-duplex printing. Little did she know about my obsession to create the most perfect book possible. So, mom's ebook was the very first book I printed duplex. Duplex printing takes more time, but it makes thinner books, which is more comfortable to read. And just like my game manuals, her ebook was ring-bound, and its cover was laminated. She was pleasantly surprised when she saw the result!

16-the-book-mom-purchased-printed-ring-bound-cover-laminate.jpg
My mother's ebook: printed, ring-bound, and cover-laminated. It was also the first book I printed duplex.

17-the-book-mom-purchased-printed-ring-bound-cover-laminate.jpg
The inside of the book.

18-mother-was-so-full-of-life.jpg
My mother was so full of life.

So, that's the story of my computer-related obsessive-compulsive disorder. It's weird. And yes, I am a very quirky person (even my beloved wife is still trying to understand me). But at least I'm happy my quirk was useful to my mother.

So what are your computer-related OCDs?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 41, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KAN: You are an awesome dude:-) I love that, that you are making the manuals and all that. In some ways , I would say you are an artist in your field. If I ever had the job of having some one print a manual and so forth for a game(or a future book about either my family or anything ). I would go to you, cause you got a knack for details, not everybody has.

Reply 3 of 41, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're a top-notch guy, Kreshna. Enjoyed your story.

MY retro OCDs involve MS-DOS, MS-DOS graphics benchmarking, and gaming. When I first got into retro computing around 2015, it was finding as many PCI cards and benchmarking them under pure DOS. Why pure DOS? It was my favorite era of computer gaming. I was a college-aged adult and I went into the Windows era kicking and screaming. I dual-booted to MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 9x. When games first started coming out with dual OS support (remember Fallout?) I ALWAYS played the pure DOS version. Unfortunately, I also had another obsession back then which was to buy every new game that remotely interested me. I read CGW's reviews (and later, PC Gamer and others) which tempted me to buy many more titles than I otherwise would. That meant I had more games than time to play, and every shiny new game made me forget about the last one. So I hardly ever finished games, nevermind playing them for longer than a week. That leads to today's biggest obsession: finishing games I either started or wanted to start throughout my life (anywhere from early 1990s through today, though much less emphasis on games that are less than 5 yrs old). I've got a playlist of "all-time best games" that I curated based on my own tastes and it will last me the rest of my life most likely, if I keep this up. And finally, I document my gameplay via spreadsheet. It helps me stay focused on the game I'm on, look forward to the next game, and keep track of my playtime.

backlog.png
Filename
backlog.png
File size
111.4 KiB
Views
File comment
My sorted backlog of games to play. Don't worry, it all makes sense to me :)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
next_completed.png
Filename
next_completed.png
File size
86.04 KiB
Views
File comment
Next up and completed games
File license
metro.png
Filename
metro.png
File size
59.39 KiB
Views
File comment
Metro 2033, my most recently completed gameplay log
File license

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote:

Your manuals rock!

WolverineDK wrote:

KAN: You are an awesome dude:-)

😀 Thank you folks, although I haven't even read 90% of the manuals I've printed. It is fixing and printing the manuals that gives me such thrill. I don't know, perhaps I'm just way too quirky. 🤣

WolverineDK wrote:

I love that, that you are making the manuals and all that. In some ways , I would say you are an artist in your field. If I ever had the job of having some one print a manual and so forth for a game(or a future book about either my family or anything ). I would go to you, cause you got a knack for details, not everybody has.

No problem, buddy. Just feed me the softcopy material and I'll churn out the book! 🤣

I do not really collect vintage audio gears, though. Merely owning some that I really like.

9xFaAEs.jpg
47D7imS.jpg
lCLkq38.jpg
No, no. These aren't part of my collecting obsession. They just sound good, that's all.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 5 of 41, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woah, what is THAT?? (QD-2)

Also an audiophile here. I've been obsessed with audio literally my whole life. My mom likes to tell everyone about how I was determined to figure out the turntable when I was 2, and would not be deterred by any form of punishment. Finally, my dad gave up and taught me. 😀 Haven't changed a bit in 35 years.

My obsessions: Creative / Panasonic optical drives. Sound Blasters. Having one of every generation Intel platform. 90s ROMpler synths (I have so many....) And air-cooled VWs (I don't have enough...) Oh, and those mini retro consoles. Man I love those things. I am such a sucker.

Reply 7 of 41, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also an audiophile here. I like the audio to be going through my main good-sounding system on my desk.

Mostly I want to have “the full experience” with no distractions or things that are out of place when I am playing DOS games. The CRT has to be adjusted exactly correct (the other day I used a loupe to inspect sharpness. Yay), the keyboard has to be oriented exactly right, the room should be the right temperature, the OS the game is running on should be just as it ought to be, the hardware it’s running on should also be just as it should be (for example if I put a modern VGA compatible card in a retro DOS PC, it doesn’t matter if it works perfectly - it would bug me a lot just knowing it was in there), the lighting in the room has to be just right, I have to be sitting in the right place relative to the speakers, etc.

I don’t have OCD but I sure am particular about my computing experiences.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 8 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

You're a top-notch guy, Kreshna. Enjoyed your story.

Thanks! Sorry I missed your reply on the first place, it didn't show up when I wrote my reply above. Dunno, perhaps my browser didn't refresh in time.

clueless1 wrote:

MY retro OCDs involve MS-DOS, MS-DOS graphics benchmarking, and gaming. When I first got into retro computing around 2015, it was finding as many PCI cards and benchmarking them under pure DOS. Why pure DOS? It was my favorite era of computer gaming. I was a college-aged adult and I went into the Windows era kicking and screaming. I dual-booted to MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 9x. When games first started coming out with dual OS support (remember Fallout?) I ALWAYS played the pure DOS version.

Same here! Same here!

I remember buying my first Pentium. It was a store-assembled PC with pirated operating system --pretty much typical in my country. Now, the computer store manager tried so hard to convince me to have Windows 95 as the PC's operating system, despite he didn't profit anything from the OS (since it was pirated anyway). I had to stand my ground, reminding him his promise that he would guarantee the PC is 100% compatible with MS-DOS.

clueless1 wrote:
Unfortunately, I also had another obsession back then which was to buy every new game that remotely interested me. I read CGW's […]
Show full quote

Unfortunately, I also had another obsession back then which was to buy every new game that remotely interested me. I read CGW's reviews (and later, PC Gamer and others) which tempted me to buy many more titles than I otherwise would. That meant I had more games than time to play, and every shiny new game made me forget about the last one. So I hardly ever finished games, nevermind playing them for longer than a week. That leads to today's biggest obsession: finishing games I either started or wanted to start throughout my life (anywhere from early 1990s through today, though much less emphasis on games that are less than 5 yrs old). I've got a playlist of "all-time best games" that I curated based on my own tastes and it will last me the rest of my life most likely, if I keep this up. And finally, I document my gameplay via spreadsheet. It helps me stay focused on the game I'm on, look forward to the next game, and keep track of my playtime.

backlog.png
next_completed.png
metro.png

Spreadsheet? That sounds even more obsessive than after-action reports.

SirNickity wrote:

Woah, what is THAT?? (QD-2)

gdjacobs wrote:

I believe it's a passive matrix (i.e. DB ProLogic) decoder.

It's a Hafler passive surround circuit, which is arguably better than the first Dolby Pro Logic. For starter, it doesn't have 7 kHz cutoff at its surround channels.

SirNickity wrote:

Also an audiophile here. I've been obsessed with audio literally my whole life. My mom likes to tell everyone about how I was determined to figure out the turntable when I was 2, and would not be deterred by any form of punishment. Finally, my dad gave up and taught me. 😀 Haven't changed a bit in 35 years.

My obsessions: Creative / Panasonic optical drives. Sound Blasters. Having one of every generation Intel platform. 90s ROMpler synths (I have so many....) And air-cooled VWs (I don't have enough...) Oh, and those mini retro consoles. Man I love those things. I am such a sucker.

What is your very first amplifier?

gpTkcPN.jpg
The Standard Electronics SR-157SU shown on the photo is not mine, but my first amp was exactly the same model.

keenmaster486 wrote:

Also an audiophile here. I like the audio to be going through my main good-sounding system on my desk.

What are the songs that sound best on your system?

songs_that_sound_best_on_your_system.jpg
Despite not liking B&W sound in general, there are songs that sound great on the system.

keenmaster486 wrote:

Mostly I want to have “the full experience” with no distractions or things that are out of place when I am playing DOS games. The CRT has to be adjusted exactly correct (the other day I used a loupe to inspect sharpness. Yay), the keyboard has to be oriented exactly right, the room should be the right temperature, the OS the game is running on should be just as it ought to be, the hardware it’s running on should also be just as it should be (for example if I put a modern VGA compatible card in a retro DOS PC, it doesn’t matter if it works perfectly - it would bug me a lot just knowing it was in there), the lighting in the room has to be just right, I have to be sitting in the right place relative to the speakers, etc.

I don’t have OCD but I sure am particular about my computing experiences.

Er... doesn't the "full experience" thing count as OCD? 😉

Reply 9 of 41, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

It's a Hafler passive surround circuit, which is arguably better than the first Dolby Pro Logic. For starter, it doesn't have 7 kHz cutoff at its surround channels.

I stand corrected. Quadriphonic LF/RF/LR/RR?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 41, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. I looked up that processor to find out what it was doing. I know it's trivial to extract rear difference signals, even with a passive circuit, but center processing is much more complicated and usually involves DSP -- or, in the analog domain, a set of frequency-dependent VCAs for steering phase-coherent material away from L and R and into C. Turns out, the QD-2 just uses a simple padded sum (L+R), which makes perfect sense. Nothing you can't do with a breadboard and some op-amps then. 😀

My first "real" amp was a Kenwood DPL receiver back in the early 90s. I was in Jr. High and saved up to buy my own, and then went quite some time scrounging whatever scrap speakers I could get until I bought my own Bose Acoustimass system. (I know -- but I was young and had to cram all of this in a small room.) Since then, I've subscribed more to the "wire with gain" philosophy to amps, so I'm not too concerned with going for super high-end brands. IMO, there's a lot more to be gained with good speakers (though I'm still not a brand snob, and in fact prefer to build my own), and attention to room acoustics. After that, I would rather invest in the processing. I have an Outlaw Audio preamp in the den now. Its surround processing is much nicer than the consumer Sony receiver I used before that -- which was definitely an upgrade from the old Kenwood! 😁 (Sorry if this is derailing the intent of the thread -- I have a bad habit of that sometimes.)

Man, clueless1, I thought I was going overboard by creating spreadsheets with the games I have -- mostly to track what I have vs. still want to find, and on which PC they're installed. But you've given me something to aspire to! I've been toying with the idea of creating maps for every build -- what hardware is installed, with I/O ranges, IRQs, DMAs, SB DSP versions, etc. etc. Would be handy notes for comparing info online for sure.

Reply 11 of 41, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SirNickity wrote:

Interesting. I looked up that processor to find out what it was doing. I know it's trivial to extract rear difference signals, even with a passive circuit, but center processing is much more complicated and usually involves DSP -- or, in the analog domain, a set of frequency-dependent VCAs for steering phase-coherent material away from L and R and into C. Turns out, the QD-2 just uses a simple padded sum (L+R), which makes perfect sense. Nothing you can't do with a breadboard and some op-amps then. 😀

The Hafler circuit is quite straightforward whether doing fronts and rears or fronts, center, and surround. Dolby PL does phase manipulation on the rear channels which is trickier in a fully analog circuit.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 41, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
Unfortunately, I also had another obsession back then which was to buy every new game that remotely interested me. I read CGW's […]
Show full quote

Unfortunately, I also had another obsession back then which was to buy every new game that remotely interested me. I read CGW's reviews (and later, PC Gamer and others) which tempted me to buy many more titles than I otherwise would. That meant I had more games than time to play, and every shiny new game made me forget about the last one. So I hardly ever finished games, nevermind playing them for longer than a week. That leads to today's biggest obsession: finishing games I either started or wanted to start throughout my life (anywhere from early 1990s through today, though much less emphasis on games that are less than 5 yrs old). I've got a playlist of "all-time best games" that I curated based on my own tastes and it will last me the rest of my life most likely, if I keep this up. And finally, I document my gameplay via spreadsheet. It helps me stay focused on the game I'm on, look forward to the next game, and keep track of my playtime.

backlog.png
next_completed.png
metro.png

Spreadsheet? That sounds even more obsessive than after-action reports.

Not to me! As you mentioned in your OP, it was intimidating for me, because I saw how thorough you were with your screenshots and storytelling and I didn't want to do it if I didn't do it justice. The one entry I made, I made sure I lived up to your example. 😉 In the end, what makes it OCD is how others perceive it, perhaps.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 41, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Resolutions, colors, fonts, and aspect ratios have to be 100% richtig in every screenshot and video ever made by anyone. Thou shalt not have thy "M"s and "0"s stuck together in VGA text mode. Thou shalt understand that the Apple IIGS doth not represent Apple ][ graphics accurately. Thou shalt have no scalers without correcting thy gamma. And above all, present not thy 320x200 game as 16:10, for that is deceit unto the Lord, and an Abomination of Desolation: for I am thy GRAPHICS POLICE.

It's probably a good thing I'm not an approver on Mobygames. Good for my blood pressure, anyway. 😁

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 14 of 41, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright here goes, mine are weird ones however..
Every time my DVD drive pops off from my case (stupid shitty Chinesium screws), I have to push it back in, even à millimeter off is still enough to trigger my OCD 😠

I have also a very annoying OCD that causes me to make my computer super noisy (the noisier it is, the more I love it) because for me a silent computer is a dead one (no idea where this one came from, my mind is a diabolical mumbo-jumbo of crazy stuff)

Another one and perhaps the most annoying, every time I see a CRT, I must degauss it, and of course set the OSD to French (well I also do the OSD translation thingy on LCDs)... Sometimes I also mash the mouse over a not responding window (very annoying as I do it without even realizing it)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 15 of 41, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's quite a collection. I suppose one can ask when a hobby becomes an obsession?

I'd say maybe a few different categories for me:

1) I think I might have more than 200 2D shoot-em-ups across various systems.

2) An exotic collection of arcade joysticks, not just a collection of enclosures with basically the same joystick models, but exotic switching technologies, actuators and handles.

3) Fascination with Socket 7 motherboards, and working Turbo switches, culminating into ultra flexible slowdown machines. I probably have dozens of Socket 7 boards - lost count.

4) MIDI rack-based instruments. I probably have more than 40 U worth of rack gear. Various romplers, samplers, analog, FM and Phase Distortion synthesisers...

Reply 16 of 41, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote:

I have also a very annoying OCD that causes me to make my computer super noisy (the noisier it is, the more I love it) because for me a silent computer is a dead one

Wow, you really CAN find any crazy fetish on the Internet. 🤣 I want a little bit of noise from my 386 / 486 boxes. I need to hear the PSU fan and the HDD for it to feel right. But, from the Pentium up, I'm A-OK with a quiet PC. My current-gen Core i5 is almost dead silent. If I get RIGHT up to the grill, I can hear a faint whirrrrr. There have been a few times that I've been in that area fixing up some cables, and just caught the sound of it, and thought... wait, how long has that been on? When did I even last use this? I think we still had the Xmas tree up....

j^aws wrote:

MIDI rack-based instruments. I probably have more than 40 U worth of rack gear. Various romplers, samplers, analog, FM and Phase Distortion synthesisers...

I vote for pics. 😎

My collection (currently): Roland MT-32, SC880, XV3080, JD990, MKS50, D110, D550; Yamaha VL70m, TX7, TX802, MU100R; Korg M1R EX, TR Rack; Ensoniq MR Rack; Kurzweil K2500

Reply 17 of 41, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote:
j^aws wrote:

MIDI rack-based instruments. I probably have more than 40 U worth of rack gear. Various romplers, samplers, analog, FM and Phase Distortion synthesisers...

I vote for pics. 😎

My collection (currently): Roland MT-32, SC880, XV3080, JD990, MKS50, D110, D550; Yamaha VL70m, TX7, TX802, MU100R; Korg M1R EX, TR Rack; Ensoniq MR Rack; Kurzweil K2500

Hmm, don't have them in a nice 40 U tall rack unit; currently looking at rack options, possibly 8 U multiples for portability. Will post once finalised. Currently pencilled for being grouped like this:

90s sounds:

Roland SC880
Yamaha MU100R (PLG100VL, PLG100VH)
Korg N1R
Ensoniq MR Rack
EMU Ultraproteus
Alesis QSR
Yamaha A5000

00s Sounds:

Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Yamaha Motif Rack ES (PLG150DX)
Roland Fantom XR (SRX cards, can't remember which)
Roland XV5050
Kurzweil PC2R (Orchestral card, Vintage card)
EMU Emulator X3 (1 U rack PC soft sampler)
Akai Z8

Miscellaneous 1:

Yamaha TG77
Jomox Airbase99
Control Synthesis DB9
Alesis DM Pro

Miscellaneous 2:

Casio VZ-10M
Casio VZ-8M x2 (can polychain/ MIDI Overflow VZs)
Korg Wavestation A/D (Vector Synthesis, feed VZs)

Industrial Rack PC 1:

Yamaha SW1000XG PCI (DS2416, PLG100SG)
Korg Oasys PCI
Turtle Beach Pinnacle ISA
Turtle Beach Tropez+ ISA
GUS PnP Pro ISA
AWE32 (EMU 8k) ISA

Industrial Rack PC 2:

Access Virus Powercore x2 PCIe
Creative X-FI Elite PCI (EMU 20K)

Desktop modules:

Roland CM64
Roland CM32L
Roland CM300
Roland 88ST
Roland SC55
Roland SC88VL
Roland SCD70
Roland SD80
Yamaha FB01
Yamaha MU500
EMU SoundEngine (x2, polychain/ MIDI Overflow)
Korg Audio Gallery
Hammond GM1000
Kawai GMega

EDIT:

Master keyboard: Alesis Fusion 6HD.

Reply 18 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

I stand corrected. Quadriphonic LF/RF/LR/RR?

The original Dynaco QD was quadraphonic, but the Panor Dynaco box I own is 5.0. The center is noticeably better than the original Dolby Surround Pro Logic though, although I still don't exactly understand how it works.

clueless1 wrote:

Not to me! As you mentioned in your OP, it was intimidating for me, because I saw how thorough you were with your screenshots and storytelling and I didn't want to do it if I didn't do it justice. The one entry I made, I made sure I lived up to your example. 😉 In the end, what makes it OCD is how others perceive it, perhaps.

Indeed! 🤣 Also, I wonder if such a simple hobby like writing Quora answer could evolve into obsession. Or probably the more correct question is "how long until."

Trying out old 3D accelerated games on modern GPUs almost become another of my new obsession, by the way. Imagine the degree of AA we could apply without slowdowns --provided the said game works on the first place!

Anyway, how many audiophiles have been attracted by this thread? Do audiophiles really have OCD, or is it just a stereotype?

Reply 19 of 41, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do audiophiles really have OCD, or is it just a stereotype?

😜 I see what you did there.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!