VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was perusing this thread and wanted to expand on it/not necro it. Specifically I’ve been trying to figure which flight sims (both air and space) from this era run in 640x480 resolution or better. For whatever reason I have found my eyes explode at 320x200 but I can handle 640x480 just fine, so I’m trying to determine which along the sims that have been long been on my list can run at higher resolutions. For example, I know Jane’s USNF, ATF, Longbow, TIE Fighter, all meet these criteria, while 1942 Pacific Air War, Tornado, TFX, Fleet Defender are all limited to 320x200. Who can help me flesh out this list more completely?

Reply 2 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jane's Fighters Anthology runs fine on Windows XP. The game supports up to 1024x768 resolution, and not speed-sensitive. And since it runs fine on XP, you can fly it using (relatively) modern USB HOTAS controller.

Jane-s-Fighters-Anthology.jpg
Jane's Fighters Anthology, flown with CH Fighterstick USB, CH Pro Throttle USB, and CH Pro Pedals USB. The speakers shown are JBL L20Ts, driven by vintage Sansui A-40.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

iF-22 is one of those early 3D-accelerated titles. Still works fine on Windows XP, but it needs gameport joystick. Yep, the game just cannot detect USB joystick. 😵

wj2QwKz.jpg
iF-22, still looks beautiful in 2017.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 4 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
Dawn Patrol (94) Flight Simulator 5 (93) Fighter Duel (95) oh you said windows :S […]
Show full quote

Dawn Patrol (94)
Flight Simulator 5 (93)
Fighter Duel (95)

oh you said windows 😖

Well he actually said late DOS or early Windows. 😉

Dawn Patrol is actually a good one --easy to get into, with beautiful graphics. However, its high resolution is 640x400 instead of 600x480. Its SVGA setup is also finicky, and if you have HOTAS controllers, you have to choose either throttle axis or rudder axis. If you want to use both throttle and pedals, you have to translate either of them into keypresses.

Dawn-Patrol-001.png
Dawn-Patrol-002.png
Dawn-Patrol-003.png
Dawn Patrol.

Reply 5 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway, if the OP doesn't mind space sim, I would heartily recommend Star Rangers.

Star Rangers is an interesting mixture of fast-paced action and light strategy. When gamers talk about action-strategy hybrid, the titles that come to mind are probably Battlezone or Command & Conquer: Renegade. Star Rangers is relatively obscure compared to those titles, but no less exciting. An underdog, if you will. I'm going for a picnic with my family, so I don't have much time to write about it, but I hope the following screenshots could help explain the game better.

05-fighters-on-the-left-cruiser-on-the-right.jpg
The need to split responsibility.

As shown in the picture above, there are two groups of enemy threatening the civilian convoy; small circles on the bottom left of the map represent enemy fighters, while a large circle on the bottom right represents enemy cruiser. Since I can't be in two places at once, I have to split responsibility with my wingman. So I assign him to intercept the group on the bottom-left, while I'll handle the cruiser on the right. It should be noted that the map is real time; the dots do not stand still, and opening the map does not pause the game. You might as well taking enemy fire while trying to set waypoints on the map.

06-issuing-the-orders-to-vector-ben-to-the-fighters.jpg
Ordering my wingman using in-cockpit menu.

After setting my wingman's waypoint (or nav point, for you space-simmers) on the real-time map above, I order him to go the waypoint using in-cockpit menu. I can always recall him to cover my arse if things get ugly with the cruiser, but then I'll be risking the convoy we're supposed to protect.

07-fake-time-parting-ways.jpg
Parting ways.

My wing man complies with the order as he warps away to intercept the fighter group. Yes, in the game we use warp drive to shorten the travel between waypoints.

09-warp-tunnel.jpg
Space Rogue, anyone?

I then open the map again to set my own waypoint, then go to the said waypoint using my warp drive. Note the warp tunnel shown above. If you remember the game Space Rogue, the warp navigation works the same.

We can also refuel and/or repair damaged system(s) --all in real time, and sometimes in the heat of the battle. If you take time to repair every damaged system, you may risk abandoning the civilian ships/space stations you are supposed to protect, so you have to prioritize.

Star Rangers is a very exciting game, and despite its 640x480 resolution, it runs pretty smooth on a Pentium 100. It can run in Windows 95 DOS window as well. It's also DOSBOX-friendly. Too bad it's not on GoG, but you can always find a copy on ebay. Such underrated gem, I always wanted to write an after-action report about it (hence the meticulously named screenshots above), but haven't got the time yet. Anyone interested could watch this Youtube video.

Reply 7 of 20, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quite a few sims can play 640x480. I'm sticking to MS-DOS because most Windows flightsims can play at that resolution and higher. Also I'm not going to repeat the ones others already mentioned.

US Navy Fighters
ATF
Jetfighter III
Wing Commander III
Wing Commander IV
Privateer 2: The Darkening
Renegade Legions: Battle For Jacob's Star
Air Power
Navy Strike
Linewars
Tie Fighter
Apache Longbow
Hind
Jane's AH-64D Longbow
SU-27 Flanker
EF-2000
Darklight Conflict
Terminal Velocity
Archimedean Dynasty
Extreme Assault
SuperVGA Harrier

Aces Over Europe has something called "tall resolution" which isn't quite 640x480 but is still sharp and I'm not sure wether Jetfighter Full Burn and F-16 Fighting Falcon are DOS games. Not a complete list but hey, better than nothing. 😀

Reply 8 of 20, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Procyon wrote:

I'm not sure wether Jetfighter Full Burn and F-16 Fighting Falcon are DOS games

JetFighter Full Burn is for DOS just like JetFighter III (IIRC it started as a mission pack for JF3).

Sandwarriors is also for DOS and supports 640x480 mode, and although it's a sci-fi thing it's pretty much an air fighter combat sim, and certainly more a of a simulator than Terminal Velocity.

Back to Baghdad is a DOS F-16 sim and it runs in 640x480.

F-22 Lightning II: also DOS, also high-res (I think it doesn't have a low-res VGA mode).

Also Fighter Duel which was already mentioned above by leileilol.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 9 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it would help the OP better if we post our opinions about the flight sims that meet the OP's criteria. Screenshots would also nice. 😀

Reply 11 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Garrett W wrote:

I am bedridden and going through the forum for interesting topics but wow that Star Rangers post just made me wanna install it on my retro PC, it looks fucking awesome!

It also plays fucking awesome. An underdog, really.

MrFlibble wrote:

F-22 Lightning II: also DOS, also high-res (I think it doesn't have a low-res VGA mode).

It does, although the 320x200 resolution is very blocky. The 640x480 resolution, on the other hand, is very choppy even on Pentium 133. Worse, the game doesn't support 3D acceleration, so the Voodoo won't help you.

Reply 12 of 20, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Das Hexagon Kartell

This one's by German developer Ascaron. I remember it as a bit of a mixed bag, but then, I'm not a flightsim guy.

Now, here's an obscure one by developer Axisim:

Flight Action

I got this off some shareware disk and played it a bunch back when. It had a bunch of different game modes, like dogfighting and bomb runs on convoys. It's also in this "tall" VGA mode, I think. Anyway, it's not 320*240.

If someone has the full version of this I'd be thrilled btw!

Last edited by henryVK on 2019-03-13, 16:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are we talking software rendering only? Otherwise there is DID’s EF2000 and Jane’s F15, as well as Independence War 1?

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-03-14, 03:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

It does, although the 320x200 resolution is very blocky. The 640x480 resolution, on the other hand, is very choppy even on Pentium 133. Worse, the game doesn't support 3D acceleration, so the Voodoo won't help you.

It took a bit long for Novaloigc to realize 3d acceleration was a thing (wasn't until their Mig game in late-98), though to be fair F22 Lightning 2 released when ViRGE / Rendition were the only game in town so it's not that big of a deal.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 20, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried a few of the Novalogic Jet Sims, but was annoyed by the limited view distance. The wall of fog being too close and no setting to push it further. For their Helicopter sims this may be less of an issue.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 16 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

It took a bit long for Novaloigc to realize 3d acceleration was a thing (wasn't until their Mig game in late-98), though to be fair F22 Lightning 2 released when ViRGE / Rendition were the only game in town so it's not that big of a deal.

It's interesting to note that F-22 Raptor, its sequel, doesn't support 3D acceleration either despite being a Windows game. Also, the 1998-released F-16 Multirole Fighter only supports 3dfx Voodoo.

Reply 19 of 20, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's Flying Corps too for Dos and Windows 9x.
And old versions of the multiplayer only games Warbirds and Dawn of Aces for Windows 9x, does anyone remember playing those?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics