VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 640 of 739, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-11-17, 15:34:

Here is something you don’t see everywhere and I think it may be specific to California.

Have you been everywhere, or anywhere for that matter?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 641 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Happy holidays everyone.
I want to share our family stuffing recipe.

In a Oven baking bowl add the following.
1) stuffing bread mix
2) diced celery
3) diced carrots
4) diced turkey liver
5) diced black olives
6) bottle of white wine
7) Mix and toss until well mixed.
Cover and Bake in Oven.
Also stuff your turkey with this mix.

Yummm, Once you try this you will never go back to plain old stuffing.

Attachments

Reply 642 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
henryVK wrote on 2021-11-16, 15:37:
Finally got around to making Brunsviger! […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote on 2021-10-12, 05:29:

"Zwetschgenkuchen" have the looks of a special cake (known as Danish in the US) that we have here in Denmark. Actually originates from the island of Fuen. It is called brunsviger, yet the topping is made from boiling brown wet cane sugar, butter and a nip of fresh cream, into a kind of running caramel and then pour it over the actual cake halfway through baking. The cake it self are a yeast based cake that are soft and spungie. Almost a fusion between a shortbread and white bread.
https://sesamsesam.com/hjem/wx5h53j707m3ar6rkwjsgei4sgaujo

Finally got around to making Brunsviger!

I used this recipe: https://nordicfoodliving.com/recipe-for-danis … runsviger-cake/

The ratios all worked well except next time I would cut the caramel topping by about 30% or so, since it did spill over the sides A LOT!

Definitely turned out well. The dough is definitely a counterpoint to the sweet topping, which creates a bit of contrast in this otherwise simple cake. The texture turned out moist and fluffy against the creamy, grainy caramel on top. This is the kind of comfort food one needs in November in Germany, so thanks again for pointing out this dish!

IMG_2332.JPG

Nice and wonderfull done. I am glad that you found this cake usefull, as it might not be for everyone in the world. The cream you added, indeed gives it this extra taste of caramel. 😀 Personally I like a lot of the topping. But I grew up on the island of fyn and brunsviger on that island differs from the rest of Denmark, by having tons of the topping and a more flat dough. But the worst variant you can find in Denmark, are the one with a 4 centimeter thick bottom and just some brown sugar springled light all over. That version is dry and not really sweet.

Brunsviger is also something we traditionally serve at childrens birthday party. Then it is usually in the shape of a man when it is a boy's birthday and woman if it is a girl's birthday. It is ornamented with a band of marcipan and the name written in red strawberry gel or chokolate. And then candy placed all over the cake.

This is an example from a bakery webshop...

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 643 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-11-24, 03:02:
Happy holidays everyone. I want to share our family stuffing recipe. […]
Show full quote

Happy holidays everyone.

1) stuffing bread mix
2) diced celery
3) diced carrots
4) diced turkey liver
5) diced black olives
6) bottle of white wine
Cover and Bake in Oven.

Using bread and that sort have always been a bit strange to me. Is it a US centric thing?
Personally I use more acid based stuffings. Those are sliced lemon's, sliced lime's, parsil, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil.
Mostly it is for duck I use the citrus fruits, as they tend to take away the top of the fatty bird taste.

Reply 644 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote on 2021-11-24, 21:54:
Using bread and that sort have always been a bit strange to me. Is it a US centric thing? Personally I use more acid based stuff […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Happy holidays everyone.

1) stuffing bread mix
2) diced celery
3) diced carrots
4) diced turkey liver
5) diced black olives
6) bottle of white wine
Cover and Bake in Oven.

Using bread and that sort have always been a bit strange to me. Is it a US centric thing?
Personally I use more acid based stuffings. Those are sliced lemon's, sliced lime's, parsil, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil.
Mostly it is for duck I use the citrus fruits, as they tend to take away the top of the fatty bird taste.

Yes, Americans eat the breaded stuffing. Its NOT to flavor the turkey but the turkey juices add flavor the stuffing.
It has a unique taste that people like. Thats why it is popular in America.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-03-17, 12:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 645 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-11-24, 22:02:
Using bread and that sort have always been a bit strange to me. Is it a US centric thing? Personally I use more acid based stuff […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Happy holidays everyone.

1) stuffing bread mix
2) diced celery
3) diced carrots
4) diced turkey liver
5) diced black olives
6) bottle of white wine
Cover and Bake in Oven.

Yes, Americans eat the breaded stuffing. Its NOT to flavor the turkey but to the turkey juice is to flavor the stuffing.

Well... Here in Denmark we do not know "butthole-bread" 😉 😁 (just joking)

But why would you want it to suck up all juices? I think it would be better to use them as stock for the sauce. If you add a lot of different root vegetables (carrots, selleri and onions) around the bird when roasting plus a bit of red wine. Then you get this wonderfull stock to make gravy from. Another thing that one can use inside fat bird's, is sour apples. One extremely wonderfull apple to use instead of citrus fruits are this Belle de Boskoop (Wiki link)

Reply 646 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote on 2021-11-24, 22:12:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-11-24, 22:02:

Yes, Americans eat the breaded stuffing. Its NOT to flavor the turkey but to the turkey juice is to flavor the stuffing.

Well... Here in Denmark we do not know "butthole-bread" 😉 😁 (just joking)

But why would you want it to suck up all juices? I think it would be better to use them as stock for the sauce. If you add a lot of different root vegetables (carrots, selleri and onions) around the bird when roasting plus a bit of red wine. Then you get this wonderfull stock to make gravy from. Another thing that one can use inside fat bird's, is sour apples. One extremely wonderfull apple to use instead of citrus fruits are this Belle de Boskoop (Wiki link)

Here is what it looks like.

Attachments

Reply 647 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-11-25, 20:08:

Here is what it looks like.

I know. 😀 It was on your post with the bird.
Traditionally, duck have been stuffed with prunes and sour apples here. And most people do not eat it
But it gives a nice taste to the bird.

Speaking of taste. Then it really does not matter what the stuffing is. As long as it contains acid.
The reason for that, is as I wrote previously, to get rid of the heaviest fatty taste.

I wonder how a fusion between traditional American and Scandinavian whole roasted duck would taste like.
I am not a fan of craneberries and the swedish tyttebær. They taste like they have perfume in them.
Blackberries, raspberries or black currants on the other hand, those are great to use. As well as juniper berries.
Basically.... Make a new kind of stuffing, without the bread, lots of different type of berries and acid.
Then make a heavy sauce with red wine and cane sugar and serve with mashed potatoes.

Sounds good or bad?

Reply 648 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Americans don’t really eat duck as much as turkey. Turkey dinner is more popular during the holidays.
But once during a Christmas vacation all the restaurants near us were closed. So we ate dinner at a Chinese
Restaurant which are traditionally open on Christmas Day. And they were serving Duck.
Duck meat is very oily and taste different from turkey. They also had all the Chinese traditional foods.
I think it was duck but it was probably goose.

Christmas story Movie link:
https://youtu.be/xTq20prt0K8

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-11-27, 16:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 649 of 739, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was that because the dogs from next door stole the turkey?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 650 of 739, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-11-27, 15:51:
Americans don’t really eat duck as much as turkey. Turkey dinner is more popular during the holidays. But once during a Christma […]
Show full quote

Americans don’t really eat duck as much as turkey. Turkey dinner is more popular during the holidays.
But once during a Christmas vacation all the restaurants near us were closed. So we ate dinner at a Chinese
Restaurant which are traditionally open on Christmas Day. And they were serving Duck.
Duck meat is very oily and taste different from turkey. They also had all the Chinese traditional foods.

Christmas story Movie link:
https://youtu.be/xTq20prt0K8

Duck dishes are very tasty. I really like crispy duck with those chinese pancakes sauce, spring onion and cucumber. Only problem is that you always have to eat two portions!

brostenen wrote on 2021-11-26, 19:39:

Traditionally, duck have been stuffed with prunes and sour apples here. And most people do not eat it
But it gives a nice taste to the bird.

I thought you Danish mostly ate goose. It was just recently Mortens aften, after all.

Reply 652 of 739, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-11-27, 16:51:

For Christmas season dinner we usually have a Prime rib dinner.

You personally or all Americans? You seem to be one and the same. If it's all Americans do you share the one rib, or have one each?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 653 of 739, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2021-11-27, 21:26:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-11-27, 16:51:

For Christmas season dinner we usually have a Prime rib dinner.

You personally or all Americans? You seem to be one and the same. If it's all Americans do you share the one rib, or have one each?

Hahahaha if I stop breathing tell my wife and kids it was worth it.

Reply 654 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-27, 16:26:

I thought you Danish mostly ate goose. It was just recently Mortens aften, after all.

Back when families were big, it was goose. When families began to be 3 children and two parents, a goose were kind of a lot to eat. And then it changed from goose to duck. That is both on Morten's aften, and the 24'th of december as well. But there is a difference on what people eat for Christmas today in the various parts of the country. Some parts it is duck, other parts it is pork roast. What people in Copenhagen traditionally eat, are not the same as in Jutland. The wildest menu that I have tried, was at a former girlfriends family, in a small town in the north-western part of Fuen. Her mother served a 2 kilo pork roast and a 4 kilo duck as the main thing. Then she served frikadeller and 1 kilo of roasted slices of the same meat you make bacon from. And to top it off, just in case there were not enough meat, she roasted 2 kilo of medister. That is just a specific sausage. 5 type of meat for 4 people. Oh boy.... Never have I seen that much meat for Christmas. 😳

But yeah.... Roasted medister as that extra thing, is typical what you find on the island of Fuen.

What is served to the meat, are always almost the same. You get plain boiled potatoes that we call white potatoes. Then there are caramelized potatoes that we call brown potatoes. Pickled red cabbage, that are more sweet than sour. Something sour, that are usually pickled pumpkin slices or a pickled kind of big cucumber. Then brown sauce with lots of heavy cream and red wine in it. We have red currant gele and black currant jam. Finally we serve crisps (called chips in America). That is about the standard things that most eat. Of course there are always people who want to eat something else, for the sake of not being traditional. Some even eat sushi, and then there are vegans who eat something completely different.

For desert it is always ris ala mande with cherry sauce. It is a kind of rice porridge mixed with whipped cream, lots of vanilla added and chopped white almonds. A whole white almond is hidden and the one that finds it get a present/gift. A bit like the old English Christmas game of getting that coin in a cake. Some cheat and use vanilla sugar, and other cheat and use almond extract instead of the real deal. The worst I have seen, was in the small outback town that my grand parents lived in. One Christmas my grand mother was unable to cook, and neighbours came with the food ready made to them. Fine gesture, however the ris ala mande, were made with extreme amount of sugar, vanilla sugar and almond extract. And because they were cheap on the rice, they had added gelatine to make it more firm. Like WTF!!! 😳 😳

Last edited by brostenen on 2021-11-28, 00:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 655 of 739, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having some home made burritos.

I use 1lb of medium ground beef mixed with 2 eggs to start, then mix in garlic, onions, rice, etc as it's cooking.

These ones turned out really well!

Attachments

• burrito.jpg
    Filename
    burrito.jpg
    File size
    92.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 656 of 739, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2021-11-27, 23:53:

Back when families were big, it was goose. When families began to be 3 children and two parents, a goose were kind of a lot to eat. And then it changed from goose to duck.

Growing up in Skåne (but not from there originally) we had goose once and I didn't like it that much, but I was very young. Just remembered it shrank a lot in the oven. I guess that duck is easier to come by these days and it is very tasty.

Reply 657 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Our couple friends are half Canadian.. wait that's phrased pretty awkwardly.. the dude is Chinese-Canadian..

...anyway, because of this I was just introduced to wonderful Nanaimo bars. And they fing rock!

Anyway, for Colonial Genocide Day we had a Turkey with rice stuffing that featured Chinese sausage amongst other things. For leftovers I had a ton more stuffing yesterday along with a nice green pepper and onion omelette.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-11-29, 21:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 658 of 739, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
henryVK wrote on 2021-11-29, 13:19:

Anyway, for Colonial Genocide Day we had a Turkey with rice stuffing that featured Chinese sausage amongst other things. For leftovers I had a ton more stuffing yesterday along with a nice green pepper and onion omelette.

Wow, sounds great. This is what I had on Social Justice Warrior day. Delicious!

proper_vittles.jpg
Filename
proper_vittles.jpg
File size
669.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 659 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-28, 18:17:
brostenen wrote on 2021-11-27, 23:53:

Back when families were big, it was goose. When families began to be 3 children and two parents, a goose were kind of a lot to eat. And then it changed from goose to duck.

Growing up in Skåne (but not from there originally) we had goose once and I didn't like it that much, but I was very young. Just remembered it shrank a lot in the oven. I guess that duck is easier to come by these days and it is very tasty.

Yup. It also taste more of non domesticated bird. You know this metallic kind of taste that you get in wild animals. (deer and so on)
It will shrink a bit in the oven, due to the fat melting off. That is why you have to put some of the fat from around the bottom of the bird on top of the breast of the bird, when roasting in the oven. You also need to keep the temperature at around 120 degree celcius. Roast/cook for around 6 to 8 hours and moist it with the drippings. Keep the goose on the same plate as the drippings, though you will boil the backside of the bird. No problem with that, because you can always use the leftovers for cooking soup. That is what I usually do with the Christmas duck.

Just take the bones and leftover meat from the day before, cover it with water in a pot and boil untill everything fall apart. Boil some vegetables and some garlic and that mix of soup herbs that normally are used for clear soup, in it until they as well nearly fall apart. Remember to have everything covered in water. Drain all the liquid off and throw out the bones, and other solid stuff. Reduce the liquid until it taste like soup, add some precooked vegetables that you like to eat in soup and salt it to your likening. Serve with bread or what you else love. Perhaps add some of the meat leftovers from the day before, if any is left. Mmmmmm.... Duck soup with duck meat. 😜