VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 140 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My wife recently discovered a pretty good Korean place in town. I don't remember the name of the dish (feel free to point it out) but it's like a stew of kimchi with lean pork strips that's surrounded by a "wall" of tofu slabs. Now, I'm not usually too much into tofu, but their stuff is really, really good, so I'll expect to go back frequently, also for the iced jasmin and plum tea.

I've also been grilling recently -- like pork chops marinated in olive oil with lots of herb de provence and garlic as well as marinated zucchini and aubergine for use in pasta salad. Ahh, summer food!

Reply 142 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fresh fruit from California.
Peaches, Plums, and Apricots.

Silicon Valley was first full of fruit tree orchards and vegetable fields before it became a tech mega center.
There are still allot of fruit tree and vegetable fields in surrounding counties.
There is nothing like eating fresh crisp ripe produce. Refreshing.
The east coast can only dream they had California fresh produce.

Attachments

Reply 143 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since it's bean time, let's have a good old bean salad!

Green bean, white bean and chickpea salad

1/2 kg of fresh green beans (haricots vert preferred, the broad, flat ones work in a pinch)
1 tin of large white beans (known as "Navy bean" or "Great northern" in the US; I preferr the greek gígantes kind)
1 tin of chickpeas
Handful of parsley
1-2 tbsp of chives; Rosemary, thyme, oregano to taste
3-4 anchovi filets
3-4 tbsp of olive oil
juice of 1 lemon, tsp of lemon zest if you like that kind of thing
salt
fresh ground black pepper
(some baking soda for the beans)

Cut (or better snap) the green beans to your preferred size, bring some water to boil in a big pot, add the baking soda (keeps them nice and green) and cook the beans for 3-4 minutes until they are tender but still crisp! It is somewhat important not to overcook the beans as with this salad they're definitely supposed to be on the snappy, crisp side.

If you want to go all out with your green beans, prepare an ice bath (pot of water with plenty of ice cubes) to cool the beans in after you drain them.

Carefully dry the beans with a dish towel. Now we're done with the laborious part of the recipe! Rinse the white beans and chickpeas and put them in a salad bowl with the green beans. Add olive oil, lemon juice, anchovi (minced!), chopped chives, parsley and other herbs and stir well until everything is nicely coated. Season with salt and pepper (I like to add some red pepper flakes).

The salad goes well with picknick style foods like grilled meats (or cold pork chops), tuna burgers and similar forms of protein, accompanied by fresh white bread.

Reply 145 of 739, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Little Debbie apple pie washed down with some "hill billy juice" (mtn. dew) - CAD work demands carbs for the brain!!!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 146 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A dozen donuts.
I’ll just have a glazed donut and chocolate swirl croissant with my Starbucks coffee.

Attachments

Reply 147 of 739, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

A dozen donuts.
I’ll just have a glazed donut and chocolate swirl croissant with my Starbucks coffee.

Now yer talkin!!!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 148 of 739, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy...that is one of the most disgusting things I've seen in awhile. I thought the whole doughnut eating thing was a joke from all those cop shows.

200.gif
Filename
200.gif
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 149 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, that's pretty rude.

As a fellow European I'm happy to inform you that while some of the donuts I tried were just too sweet for my German sensibilities, there's lots (apple fritters!) that were just all out awesome.

Reply 150 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today’s breakfast. It’s getting HOT in the American south-west desert. And I don’t feel to good today
So I’ll just have a fruit smoothie. These bags of fresh frozen fruit are so convenient.

Yummm...

Attachments

Reply 151 of 739, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had 2 hot dogs and some hash browns for my lunch. Wish I had a cup or two of whiskey to go along with it, but, my blood pressure is a bit too high due to stress.

Breakfast was an everything bagel toasted with butter and a couple of cinnamon sugar Timbits from Tim Horton's.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 152 of 739, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Today’s breakfast. It’s getting HOT in the American south-west desert. And I don’t feel to good today
So I’ll just have a fruit smoothie. These bags of fresh frozen fruit are so convenient.

Now that's more like it! 😊

Reply 153 of 739, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sf78 wrote:

Holy...that is one of the most disgusting things I've seen in awhile. I thought the whole doughnut eating thing was a joke from all those cop shows.

200.gif

They're just assorted donuts and fritters. They're harmless, I think. But they are not good for you if you eat a whole lot of them at once, so yeah
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 154 of 739, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, last night was the day I finally got down to the last bite of my chocolate vintage computer I got this Easter. That's right! I kept that thing of chocolate since April until now. It's quite surprising that chocolate can last that many months without getting stale 😜 Or maybe it's just because I've been keeping it in a sealed plastic bag, where it was secure.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 155 of 739, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was repairing a fence today. After each plank painted I picked up a peach from the tree and ate it. There were 28 planks.
I think that one day I am going to turn into a big giant peach.
Last month I reaped almost 200 kilograms of apricots [didn't eat all of them 😉] and september will be dedicated to apples.

Reply 157 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today’s breakfast.
Starbucks breakfast blend coffee and Fresh California strawberries.

Attachments

Reply 159 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Strawberry, Banana milk shake.
With ice cubes and milk. Mix in blender.

Attachments