VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 420 of 739, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I rarely cook (my wife is much better at it than I am), but today I finished work early so I cooked up some potatoes and sausage sprinkled with cheese, with just some pepper and garlic for flavoring. Quite tasty and we both enjoyed it over a couple of beers. No pictures though.

I am now drinking some Captain Morgan rum on the rocks. I've had better rum, but it's not bad for the price.
I used to drink all the time (it's part of the culture here), often finishing 1 or 2 bottles of 25% alcohol Shochu in just a few hours at the local karaoke bars, but as I entered my late 30s I started becoming somewhat alcohol intolerant, and now I drink only on the weekends and mostly beer. The only alcohol harder than beer that doesn't really bother me now is wine and rum, so here I am. There's not much better than playing some nice computer RPGs with a glass of your favorite at hand!

Reply 421 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just put together a dough for home baked bread. It is one of those breads that need to raise for aprox 12 hours and then aditional 2 hours on a second bowl that are "buttered up" with some neutral tasting cooking oil. (sunflower or whatever) It is sometimes refered to, as the worlds best bread.

- 625 Gram of white flour.
- 5 deciliter of water.
- 2 small teaspoon of salt.
- Yeast the size of a pea (fresh yeast, not dried).

Add the water in a big bowl, dissolve the salt in the water, dissolve the yeast in the saltwater.
Add all the flour and make sure it is all moist. No need for further kneading as it happens during raising.
(Just make sure all the flour have become moist)

I have used a 10 litre pot with lid. A big bowl can be used as well. Just make sure it can be covered in some way.
Place it on the kitchen table, and let it raise for 12 hours.
"Butter up" a new bowl with the use of neutral tasting oil, and carefully place the dough into the bowl.
Make sure you do not loose all the air trapped inside the dough. Just take your time.
Let it raise in the new bowl for 2 hours......

Take an all metal pot that are some 2.5 litre in size. Make sure, that it is ALL METAL and have no plastic. I use my cast iron pot made in Sweden.
Place it in an oven, with the lid on, and set the oven to 250 degree celcius.
Once hot enough, you carefully remove the pot from the oven, take off the lid and put in one teaspoon of oil and dump the dough in it.
Put on the lid and place it in the oven again. Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes.

Once baked, you place the bread upside down on a cold rack, and let it cool down. If baked correctly, the bread will make cracking noises
when it cools down. After one hour of cooling, you can finally have a nice slice of pure awesomeness....
Especially if you have homemade marmelade, made from 55/60% berries and 40/45% sugar and no artificial preservatives.

It is easy to make. Cheap to make. And way, way, way better than what can be bought in the stores.
Except if you buy it at an professional baker in Italy or France. This bread taste a bit like a crossover between Hungarian and French bread.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 423 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-07, 00:55:

That bread sound delicious I'll definitely be trying it. I love baking breads in cast iron Dutch ovens

Make sure it is baked in a pot with lid. 😉
But yeah. You will be surprised how good it is. 😀
If you make the dough at 11pm, you have bread by 3pm the next day.

Reply 425 of 739, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-10-23, 13:48:

I am now drinking some Captain Morgan rum on the rocks. I've had better rum, but it's not bad for the price.
I used to drink all the time (it's part of the culture here), often finishing 1 or 2 bottles of 25% alcohol Shochu in just a few hours at the local karaoke bars, but as I entered my late 30s I started becoming somewhat alcohol intolerant, and now I drink only on the weekends and mostly beer. The only alcohol harder than beer that doesn't really bother me now is wine and rum, so here I am. There's not much better than playing some nice computer RPGs with a glass of your favorite at hand!

Beer is good stuff, but it's not so good for man-boobs or beer belly when your metabolism slows down. I like the hard stuff, but it makes me stiff and gives me joint pain. Best to get something nice and drink it sparingly.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 426 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-07, 11:16:

Yes my Dutch oven has a lid. That's a great idea starting it that late. I'll have to give this a try this week.

Two pictures of the bread....

Bread-01.jpg
Filename
Bread-01.jpg
File size
163.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Bread-02.jpg
Filename
Bread-02.jpg
File size
99.9 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 428 of 739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dinner last night. Butter roasted, sweet blackpudding with sour apple sauce.

sortpoelse.jpg
Filename
sortpoelse.jpg
File size
74.79 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 430 of 739, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Who needs an RTX 3090 when you can have this?
Time to benchmark my pancreas and see how it handles 4k... er, 4kg of sugar.
6OoTeWo.png

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 431 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2020-11-22, 21:51:

Alright, what am I looking at?

Reply 432 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the Best Coffee I have tasted so far.
If you like breakfast blend flavor coffees you will love this one.
Its a light but flavorful blend. No harsh or bitter after taste and goes down smooth.
But it is rich in caffeine. A couple of cups and you will be wired for a few hours.

I like this better than the Starbucks breakfast blend coffee because this Kirkland blend is organic and very smooth tasting.

Costco Kirkland brand - Breakfast blend k-cup coffee.
$32 for 120 k-cups when on sale.

Great deal.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-10-14, 14:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 433 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-23, 09:57:
This is the Best Coffee I have tasted so far. If you like breakfast blend flavor coffees you will love thi one. Its a light but […]
Show full quote

If you like breakfast blend flavor coffees you will love thi one.
Its a light but flavorful blend. No harsh or bitter aftertaste and goes down smooth.
But it is rich in caffeine. A couple of cups and you will be wired for a few hours.

I like this better than the Starbucks breakfast blend coffe because this Kirkland blend is organic and very smooth tasting.

Great deal.

I mean, if it tastes good, it tastes good but somehow...

idk, that's actually even more expensive than 1kg of this hyper artisinal small-batch coffee I buy at a local roastery. That stuff's so fair-trade, as someone said, "the farmer can send his kids to Berlin to study drama."

Reply 434 of 739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
henryVK wrote on 2020-11-23, 11:12:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-23, 09:57:
This is the Best Coffee I have tasted so far. If you like breakfast blend flavor coffees you will love thi one. Its a light but […]
Show full quote

If you like breakfast blend flavor coffees you will love thi one.
Its a light but flavorful blend. No harsh or bitter aftertaste and goes down smooth.

I like this better than the Starbucks breakfast blend coffe because this Kirkland blend is organic and very smooth tasting.

Great deal.

I mean, if it tastes good, it tastes good but somehow...

idk, that's actually even more expensive than 1kg of this hyper artisinal small-batch coffee I buy at a local roastery. That stuff's so fair-trade, as someone said, "the farmer can send his kids to Berlin to study drama."

Yes, people have different taste so in USA houses these K-cup machines are very popular because there are so many flavors of coffee to choose from and individuals in families usually have there own preference in coffee flavor.
Also this certain flavor of Kirkland coffee is only sold in k-cup servings.
I usually buy Starbucks coffee beans to make my own coffee at home but I really like this Organic coffee better.
I have my refrigerator stocked with Starbucks coffee.
When we have visitors they can choose from k-cup coffee flavors.
There are about 20 major coffee brands in USA and they all have at least 10 different flavors of there own blend.
In USA people choose coffee like fine wine. Once you try the better tasting coffee it hard to drink regular coffee.
I dont like regular coffee like Mcdonlds coffee. I think regular coffee taste like dirt.
Maybe that what real coffee is suppose to taste like?
This is why Starbucks coffee is so popular in USA because it does not taste like regular coffee.

Reply 435 of 739, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
henryVK wrote on 2020-11-23, 07:27:
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2020-11-22, 21:51:

Alright, what am I looking at?

What you're looking at here is an honest-to-goodness Costco fruitcake.

I usually start out the holiday season with the store bought stuff. But once we're into December, it's on to the downright delicious homemade fruitcakes that I like to baste in rum for several days. In fact, one slice of a Standard Def Fruitcake will get you drunk. 😀

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 436 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2020-11-23, 19:35:

I usually start out the holiday season with the store bought stuff. But once we're into December, it's on to the downright delicious homemade fruitcakes that I like to baste in rum for several days. In fact, one slice of a Standard Def Fruitcake will get you drunk. 😀

Sweet, so that's something like the American version of Christmas pudding? Or is that culturally insensitive? 😁
Because I brought back some pudding from the UK last year and I absolutely loved it. It was store-bought (Waitrose) but super delicious. In fact, there's still one left over.

Good to hear you have sufficently fortified yours. Is it traditionally set on fire as well?

I've been having some good dinners lately. Sunday night's was oven roasted cabbage. That may not sound like much but it's this heritage cabbage called "Jaroma" which is very mild and basically looks like someone compressed a cabbage into a disk. You slice it into eights, baste it with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it at 200-ish° until tender. Then you slather it with a vinaigrette of sherry vinegar, olive oil and dijon mustard and serve with a nice bratwurst or two with mustard. I should take pictures of this stuff instead of all this verbage...

Reply 437 of 739, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-23, 12:02:

I usually buy Starbucks coffee beans

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-23, 12:02:

In USA people choose coffee like fine wine

Lolz

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 438 of 739, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had the Kirkland Keurig things. They're alright but nothing to write home about. I simply can't see how pre-ground anything can hold a candle to freshly ground beans and, as I said before, at >30$/kg you can are paying the equivalent of all but the most gourmet specialty roasts. I know it's convenient and everything but I don't think I'm a snob for saying that as far as pricing goes Nespresso and it's derivatives are a massive rip-off.

Reply 439 of 739, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
henryVK wrote on 2020-11-24, 09:07:
Sweet, so that's something like the American version of Christmas pudding? Or is that culturally insensitive? :-D Because I brou […]
Show full quote
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2020-11-23, 19:35:

Sweet, so that's something like the American version of Christmas pudding? Or is that culturally insensitive? 😁
Because I brought back some pudding from the UK last year and I absolutely loved it. It was store-bought (Waitrose) but super delicious. In fact, there's still one left over.

Good to hear you have sufficently fortified yours. Is it traditionally set on fire as well?

I've been having some good dinners lately. Sunday night's was oven roasted cabbage. That may not sound like much but it's this heritage cabbage called "Jaroma" which is very mild and basically looks like someone compressed a cabbage into a disk. You slice it into eights, baste it with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast it at 200-ish° until tender. Then you slather it with a vinaigrette of sherry vinegar, olive oil and dijon mustard and serve with a nice bratwurst or two with mustard. I should take pictures of this stuff instead of all this verbage...

That cabbage dish sounds delicious!