VOGONS

Common searches

Best memories of Windows or OS?

Topic actions

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which OS or Windows gave you lots of memories? Mine, is 9x, all Windows before Vista.

Reply 3 of 37, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

95 was a whole new world so that was memorable (+ Weezer of course!) but after that all I ask of Windows is to get the hell out of the way and let me play games.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 37, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in 2000 I had a Pentium III machine that came with Windows 98 SE. I was starting to mess with designing web pages and stuff, and between loading IE, Paint Shop Pro and Dreamweaver the system would just run out of resources and need rebooting every hour or so.

One day I upgraded to Windows 2000, and suddenly I could keep my computer on for literally weeks without restarting it. This was around the time that unlimited dial-up internet was new, and there were many MP3s to be downloaded. To me that was the day that the modern era of PCs began.

Reply 5 of 37, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well, having the the Windows 95 CD delivered on the mail at launch (thanks to buying a Compaq PC with 3.11 a few months earlier), and installing it with my father, brother and uncle all watching it and booting for the first time was memorable, it really was a new era, and I used 95 until April 2000 (couldn't find 98 drivers for the sound card 🤣) as my main OS.

Reply 7 of 37, by Andrew T.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My best memory of Windows 3.1 was the reaction I had the very first time I used it, twenty-odd years ago: "Wow, it LOOKS like a Macintosh! Except...it's in COLOUR!" Up to that point, every Mac I had seen had been a black & white machine and every PC had been a boring text-mode device.

My best memories of Windows 95? Probably all the times I ticked off techbros in the mid-'00s for using it a minute longer than necessary.

Reply 10 of 37, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AIX while in college, introduced me to UNIX systems which was invaluable as a couple of my employers were UNIX based.

Moving to Windows XP from Windows 98. Not that 98 was bad, it served its purpose well, but XP was more stable with better hardware compatibility.

Deleting my Windows 8.1 VM (memory of great satisfaction, it was really getting on my nerves)... what? Oh come on we all know Windows 8.x was never well received and I gave it more rope than most to prove its critics wrong.

Reply 11 of 37, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Andrew T. wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Are you still using it daily?

Actually, yes!

Proper. I praise you for your legendary actions.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 13 of 37, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cut my teeth on Win 3.0. Fascinated by the upgrade to 3.1. I was really, really into computers as a kid. Learned QB, then VB, and coded the first 10% of a lot of applications back then.

But, Windows 95 was huge for me. I loved everything about it, even how the floppy drive was like twice as fast as in DOS. So cool! My dad was nice enough to buy the floppy version because my 486SX/25 didn't have a CD drive. Then later he bought the CD-ROM version too. 😉 That's when I also discovered the Weezer video, discovered Edie Brickell, played a little Hover, and went out to rent Rob Roy. (Good movie. Or at least at the time I thought so.) I must have watched those artsy Windows interpretation videos a thousand times. My favorite was the Monet one.

Win 95 really bust the doors open on computing for me. Multitasking, multimedia, the WWW, my AWE32, IRC, VB 5 (Compiled EXEs?? From BASIC? Wow!), Plus! themes, the beautiful design language of clouds and colorful flags and 3D dialogs with a classy new non-bold font... Loved. It. And then used it until I couldn't hold out on not having USB support anymore. I tried the Win 98 beta (not terribly stable), went back to 95, and only briefly used 98 SE before switching to ME when it came out.

By then, I had discovered BeOS and fell in love with an OS all over again. Win 2K came out shortly after, but... meh. It used tons of memory and driver support sucked. BeOS was so lean and agile on the same hardware. It wasn't until Be, Inc. closed up shop and then XP came out that I went back to Windows.

Reply 14 of 37, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Browsing through System32 on Windows XP. That never gets old to me. The winlogon icon is the symbol of my life. 😜

Also, the sample music that came on a Dell Dimension desktop (can't forget the model, likely a 2400 with a P4) was great. I remember most of the songs - Surely Justice, The Best Of Us, and Dynamite Walls. There was another one, but I sadly forgot what it was. Then, of course, I had Like Humans Do. Great memories. Anyone else remember this set of sample music? I can't find anything online about it. It was all labeled as eMusic, so perhaps Dell was advertising eMusic. Who knows.

Seeing all the legacy stuff in system32 (as well as showing XP how much of a badass I am by clicking "Show the contents of this folder anyway") was - and still is - magical. I'd be damned if I didn't sit down at my XP rig from time to time and bask in the glory that is the super sssssecret Windows folders. 😀

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 15 of 37, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Many years has pasted since the funeral
Missing the blood of human throats
so many years, ages ago
I must await, feel my body's stench

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 16 of 37, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows XP... T'was a rock solid OS, even with the botched drivers I threw at it (long story short, I had to fickle the drivers to install them manually... unfortunately the INF file provided with it was partial corrupted garbage, so I had to hack and slash another INF file from older drivers) it didn't crash. Even with all the malware I got (always have a good antivirus, you'll see what I mean!)

Another one is Windows 7, it was the pinnacle of the best Windows, I'm a bit sad that it's going to be axed, but c'est la vie... I managed to get again mangled drivers working (blame Adaptec for not making Vista 64 drivers for the 2940U2W... All of that because I needed to use a old SCSI scanner) with a bit of problems but easily ironed out.

Then Windows Vista (sure it may have been unstable when it was new, but, with the Service Packs, I felt it become more stable, albeit not perfect, but let's stay real: Perfection does not exist.), not for its stability but the UI.

Windows 8.1 also gave me lots of memories (in fact, it was the first OS I somehow managed to install on a USB drive 🤣 I shit you not!)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 17 of 37, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most fond memories are from Windows 3.1, even though I used 95 and 98SE for much longer than any other Windows version. Win95 on my 486 was major, really liked it at first but had trouble with DOS games (didn't know as much back then), which I didn't have with the Win3.1/DOS 6.22 combo.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 18 of 37, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was definitely OS/2 Warp 3 which hosted my BBS between 94 and 97. MS-DOS 6.0 is probably a close second. I loved MS-DOS 5.0 too, but to be honest the memory management tools of MS-DOS 6.0, oh screw that, the DELTREE command alone made the upgrade worthwhile.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19 of 37, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 95, definitely.

I got my dad's old Toshiba laptop with a 486DX2, 8 megs of RAM, 512MB storage. No CD-ROM, no network and only a handful of games, including LHX, Prince of Persia, Supaplex, Pentix and Blockout. Of course, when your entertainment is that limited, you start finding it in the weirdest places. WordArt effects in Word 97, learning keyboard shortcuts, that kind of stuff.

I distinctly remember one evening on the New Year's Eve when I tried to "trick" Windows 95 into thinking I had a modem. I tried adding various network devices via Control Panel and messing with whatever "Internet" stuff was installed. Somehow I thought I could overcome the fact that I had no wired connection to the telephone line. Or, you know, an actual modem.

I was six years old at the time. Life was good.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog