VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that the first Warcraft is sold again, I took a little interest in the user-made content created for the game.

While Blizzard never released any development tools for Warcraft besides the unit stats editor, a certain BJ Pollard reverse-engineered the map format and in 1995 wrote and made public an editor that allowed to create user maps for the game. These would be loaded a simple saved game files and distributed as such.

There were quite a few levels created with this tool, albeit not as many as Warcraft II PUDs. Some were even published on several PC Gamer coverdisks alongside Doom WADs and other user-created content. However now these levels are very hard to find. By digging the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, I was able to find a webpage from the late 90s which contains some 38 intact downloads: Melle's Warcraft page

This is the largest collection I've found so far. A few more can be found here (alongside duplicates from the first page repacked in ARJ), and yet four more scenarios by Kenny Chong. Several more are mentioned on this page but sadly the downloads were not preserved by the Wayback Machine.

Here's a sample screenie from a scenario I picked at random (traitors.zip):
rlh4fC2.png
The editor is a 16-bit application and thus is not likely compatible with modern Windows versions. I was unable to run it through Wine in Linux.

Last edited by MrFlibble on 2020-04-03, 20:50. Edited 1 time in total.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 1 of 8, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just thought I'd share the other pages I found while searching for this, which are mostly for Warcraft II (obviously), with many containing working downloads of various maps.

Attachments

• Filename
    war2pages.txt
    File size
    11.67 KiB
    Downloads
    85 downloads
    File comment
    Notes on pages found via the Wayback Machine
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may also try some official maps to Polanie
Warcraft 1 like: Polans (Polanie) English language version
CD version has twice more maps.
Level editor is also available.
There is even source available 😀
www.polanie.prv.pl

Reply 3 of 8, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

There is even source available 😀
http://www.polanie.prv.pl

I would sure like to know more! Was the game officially open sourced and released as freeware? I cannot open your link somehow (not even a 404 error), but can kinda view old snapshots via the Wayback Machine. My knowledge of Polish is nonexistent though so I cannot easily get the answers to the questions above.

Reply 5 of 8, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could you please tell if the game was officially open sourced and released as freeware? If not where does the source code come from?

Reply 7 of 8, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since Malwarebytes Anti-Malware blocks OOCities for some reason (and people complained here), I changed the link to Kenny Chong's page to the Wayback Machine copy. All Warcraft and Warcraft 2 maps from that site are downloadable via the WM.

Reply 8 of 8, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found this shovelware CD at archive.org, it has some 40 user levels for Warcraft 1. Haven't checked how they compare to the ones found previously yet. All are unzipped.