VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I was watching some videos of obscure (and mostly bad) DOS-era first-person shooters when a game called Kaos caught my attention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-A7ZhdcYV0

It turns out that a small team of Italian developers were working on this game in the 90s with a view on selling it as shareware but as this never materialised they released the whole game (playable but with only a few levels) and its source code in 2003 under the GPL. The entire game was also published on a cover disk of the Italian magazine The Games Machine (I believe that this is the DVD in question, but the ISO at archive.org seems corrupt).

Anyways, the game itself turned out to be pretty tough to find! You can easily Google the dev website but there's nothing there, while a Wayback Machine snapshot suggests that the DOS game itself, the source code and the game data sources were all available for download as three separate archives. An even earlier snapshot also hints at developmental versions (presumably not completely playable) having been available at some point in time too. None of the archives appear to have been preserved by the Wayback Machine from that site, and I know of no mirrors. I'd look up on Google Groups but it hasn't been working for me lately (I can look up messages with known URLs but searching for anything invariably returns 0 results or an error).

So far I was only able to find a repack of the three main archives (link in the YouTube video I posted above), which may have originated with 3D Shooter Legends (not sure). It's always nice to have the original archives if possible. I looked up Hallfiry's catalogue but it' not there. I'm afraid the game is too obscure and wasn't widely known outside Italy for whichever reason.

If anyone have any clues as to whereabouts of the original files that would be awesome.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 2 of 2, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Sad to hear that a full version is not uncovered, yet.

There is no full version. The devs released the latest build in 2003 as a bonus on a coverdisk that came with The Games Machine (Italian gaming mag). I used Google translate to plough through the documents in the zip that I found and I have ascertained that this is exactly the same thing as the version on that disk, except repacked into plain zip instead of some self-extracting archive routine.

You can get this version here. From the supplied documents and the old dev website snapshots from 2003 it appears that this is the latest build, with all enemies coded (I think they still hoped to sell the game as shareware when they made earlier releases, for which dates I do not know, and only had two enemies). For some reason it is called the "unofficial" build. There are three rather large levels, and a level editor so you can make more if you want. The engine is pretty similar to that of Rise of the Triad in terms of capabilities: it's still 90 degree walls, but also weather effects, indoor/outdoor areas, destructible objects and stuff. I gather the levels shouldn't be overly hard to make. The entire source code is also included. Would be fun if anyone ever bothered making a port because it's full GPL and also is not a bad game.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games