Topic actions

Reply 121 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Oh if you were giving more attention, the comment I replied to was about 16-bit programs not 32-bit programs. GOTCHA!!! I put a bold on it for you

Anyway, I wasn't the one that started this "flame war". Be my guest to bring it back on topic.

Be the bigger man and get over it already. You remind me of my grandson. No Forget that my goldfish.

Nice bit of trolling there from you. Really classy. Does not like to get corrected, then decides to offend... I won't get into your silly game. Afterall, Windows 10 sucks and is not worth it.

Speaking of laptops (to bring it back on topic after defending the excellent macOS operating system), I had a Dell G7 which I dumped because it was too bulky and limited for me. So I prefer slimmer, traditional designs. Hence why I returned to a 2013 Macbook Pro 13". The Dell G7 was powerful, but extremely limited by Windows 10 and its heavy bulky, big design. Can't bring it with me anywhere. Being able to take it everywhere is a must have for me when I consider buying a laptop.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 122 of 136, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bfcastello wrote:

Nice bit of trolling there from you. Really classy. Does not like to get corrected, then decides to offend... I won't get into your silly game. Afterall, Windows 10 sucks and is not worth it.

Seems to be working fine here. But of course you'll never except that Or the fact Apple can push updates without you even knowing. https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/10/apple-silen … pdate-zoom-app/

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 123 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Seems to be working fine here. But of course you'll never except that Or the fact Apple can push updates without you even knowing. https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/10/apple-silen … pdate-zoom-app/

Nice bit of Fake News there. Never knew a website named “TechCrunch” *rolleyes*

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 124 of 136, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bfcastello wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Nice bit of Fake News there. Never knew a website named “TechCrunch” *rolleyes*

Apple admitted it happened big boy.

Reply 125 of 136, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back to lap tops..

20191004_130210.jpg
Filename
20191004_130210.jpg
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Rugged(lasted 33 year) and still going, nice carry bag, full documentation, easy to service, up to 12 hours battery life and sturdy psu. And of course beige with grey tints. No Windows or Mac OS needed to operate.

Reply 126 of 136, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote:

Back to lap tops..

20191004_130210.jpg

Rugged(lasted 33 year) and still going, nice carry bag, full documentation, easy to service, up to 12 hours battery life and sturdy psu. And of course beige with grey tints. No Windows or Mac OS needed to operate.

Why can't someone make this in the modern day?

Consumers would flock to it! They love storing data on floppy disks. The data clearly show...

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 127 of 136, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote:

Back to lap tops..

20191004_130210.jpg

User designated "Sleep Mode to save battery usage. Comes with internet connectivity and fax capable(modem), Peer to Peer Connectivity including file sharing/transfer via serial port using Zeniths own zcom program. Built in local storage using a 20 megabyte hard file(IBM term for hdd you dweebs). External LS-120 and BackPack CD reader capable, using ltp port, daisy chained to a printer. The list of uses for this system is exhaustive with the 1meg EMS add on package. Gaming with MS Fight Simm(faster with a math co-pro), Use Lotus 123, DBase III, WordStar and MS Basic (ignor that pesky letter from Bill Gates). But wait there's more......

Reply 128 of 136, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
schmatzler wrote:

I had an A31p years ago and I regret selling it. It's one of the craziest machines ever made. The screen looks really awesome and it's not even IPS, it's a technology they call "FlexView" that produces insane viewing angles - the screen still looks crystal clear when you look at it diagonally.

It's IPS. FlexView was just IBM's marketing name for IPS screens at that time. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer original screens working out in the wild - I just barely found a working replacement for my dead screen last month. However, with modifications, an A31p can take an IPS screen from later 15" Thinkpads (T4x/R5x/T6x), and even a LED IPS screen is possible, with the right mod.

schmatzler wrote:

I had upgraded my machine to a 2.6GHZ Pentium 4 processor and it ran massively hot

Yeah, I heard that it does. Mine has the 2GHz P4-M, and it's fine. A beefier P4 will not make a meaningful difference in today's world.

schmatzler wrote:

all I have for now is a board with graphical glitches when it gets warm (probably a bad BGA solder joint) and an A31 (no "p") in pristine condition. One day I will get a rework station and fix this thing up.

My A31p also suffers from these graphical glitches, but it hasn't gotten bad enough for me to attempt to fix it, since I hardly use the system.

An A31 in pristine condition (with a working board) may be a good compromise. The only differences I recall is 32MB VRAM instead of 64MB and no S-Video in.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 129 of 136, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:

Back to lap tops..

20191004_130210.jpg

User designated "Sleep Mode to save battery usage. Comes with internet connectivity and fax capable(modem), Peer to Peer Connectivity including file sharing/transfer via serial port using Zeniths own zcom program. Built in local storage using a 20 megabyte hard file(IBM term for hdd you dweebs). External LS-120 and BackPack CD reader capable, using ltp port, daisy chained to a printer. The list of uses for this system is exhaustive with the 1meg EMS add on package. Gaming with MS Fight Simm(faster with a math co-pro), Use Lotus 123, DBase III, WordStar and MS Basic (ignor that pesky letter from Bill Gates). But wait there's more......

Coming in at an allegedly portable 42 lbs!

😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 130 of 136, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:

Back to lap tops..

20191004_130210.jpg

Coming in at an allegedly portable 42 lbs!

😉

They were real men back in those days not the limp wristed soy boys of today.

Reply 132 of 136, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to like T42 more than T43, but with SATA mod, T43 can kick T42's butt. It even has ExpressCard!

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 133 of 136, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Still, with Win10 Pro a single registry key / Group Policy entry prevents any updates from being installed without your consent.

I wish this was true but it isn’t. It worked until some version (1803, I think?) but now it’s semi-reliable at best. The only way to kinda get rid of Windows Update is to use Enterprise LTSB/LTSC versions and I think there are still some mandatory security updates even for these.

Just yesterday some people in our office were screaming bloody murder because Windows Update rebooted their PCs overnight while the build process was in progress, even though we use custom images that have every measure taken to prevent this from happening.

P.S. I have nothing against Windows, it’s a workhorse OS that runs on a huge variety of hardware (unlike macOS) and empowers people to get their stuff done. I just think macOS better suits my preferences and allows me to get my stuff done faster.

Reply 134 of 136, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ShovelKnight wrote:

I wish this was true but it isn’t. It worked until some version (1803, I think?) but now it’s semi-reliable at best.

I currently have only one PC running a version newer than 1803 (1903), so I'll have to check and report back. So far it hasn't auto-updated, although the 1903 did reset the NoAutoUpdate to 0 (but I just changed it manually back to 1).

Reply 135 of 136, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote:

It worked until some version (1803, I think?) but now it’s semi-reliable at best.

Winaero Tweaker has an option to disable it which completely disables the Windows Update service. Works reliably.

https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

(By default, the Update service gets reenabled after a while when a user disables it. Which isn't a bad idea in my opinion. It prevents idio...I mean challenged users from never updating.)

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 136 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote:

I just think macOS better suits my preferences and allows me to get my stuff done faster.

This is exactly the same reason why I use macOS.

JOBS, Steve.