VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Super Mario 64, the 1996 launch game for the Nintendo 64, has been reverse engineered, and you can download the newly formed source code if you like.

Quote: "After having been decompiled back in July, the source code for Super Mario 64 has been completely reverse-engineered, and is now publicly available. Available on GitHub is a full decompilation of the beloved 3D platformer, Super Mario 64. The decompilation works for the NTSC-U and NTSC-J builds of the game, with (E) ROM support coming soon. To keep things legal, you will need to provide your own copy of the game, in order to compile the data, with the exact process being detailed, below. If you've ever wanted to see some of the magic that went into creating such an iconic game, you can now finally see into all of the finer details."

246931-super-mario-64-nintendo-64-screenshot-going-to-the-castle.jpg

Super Mario 64 is, to this day, still a timeless classic, utterly superb and endlessly playable. It regularly appears in the top few titles of "Best of" games lists be the lists from gamers sat at home, to magazine lists either voted for by the public or by the magazine staff themselves.

And the game's primary coloured, simplistic graphics (it ran on a 4MB N64 from 1996) haven't aged anywhere near as much as the graphics from other games of the era.

246932-super-mario-64-nintendo-64-screenshot-bob-omb-battlefield.jpg

I'd imagine someone on here would be interested in the source code. Plus who knows, the release of this source code might result in even more ambitious mods* of the game being produced than the (sometimes wonderful) fan-made mods already existing/still being made for the N64 version of the game.

246941-super-mario-64-nintendo-64-screenshot-inside-the-castle.jpg

Web page: https://gbatemp.net/threads/super-mario-64s-s … eleased.546814/

Reply 1 of 28, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The more this is spread around, the more likely Nintendo is going to C&D and probably attempt to sue the people responsible for doing this.

Such is life in the realm of "muh intellectual property rights!!!!"...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's already out there, good luck to Nintendo with getting the genie back in the bottle. It will now be 'unofficially' ported to every system on this planet including calculators and toasters very soon.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 28, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh of course how could I forget the wonders of the Streisand effect!

I'm not sure if Super Mario 64 can be reasonably "ported", don't forget how esoteric the N64 was in underlying functionality.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 28, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

I'm not sure if Super Mario 64 can be reasonably "ported", don't forget how esoteric the N64 was in underlying functionality.

Well, shouldn't be too difficult to graft in some Nintendo emulation code to emulate some N64-specific stuff, at which point you end up with something that can probably run on most platforms with SDL/OpenGL/whatever.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 28, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Knowing how Nintendo is trigger-easy when it comes to DMCA and litigation... I'm not expecting this to stay up for long.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 6 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vynix wrote:

Knowing how Nintendo is trigger-easy when it comes to DMCA and litigation... I'm not expecting this to stay up for long.

It's been up long enough.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a second, I thought the OP was talking about Superman 64 being decompiled. I guess even subconsciously I'm always looking for people who share my perverse sense of humour.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 28, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

For a second, I thought the OP was talking about Superman 64 being decompiled. I guess even subconsciously I'm always looking for people who share my perverse sense of humour.

Certain things are better left as binaries...

Reply 9 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Certain things are better left as binaries...

Such as NinjaBread Man for the Wii?
https://youtu.be/7gA_PU4VuhQ

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 28, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A few years ago someone recreated Bomb Omb Battlefield in Unity 3D. It got shot down by Nintendo quickly.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 11 of 28, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is interesting. Nice idea to have source code released from older stuff like this, for people who may be interested in compiling it to make their own versions and such. Though sometimes that can lead to some trouble in some situations.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 12 of 28, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Maybe it would be a real challenge. Could anybody get that mess and make something playable?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 14 of 28, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it would be awesome if someone port this on a, let's say, a dreamcast or even a PS1 😀

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 15 of 28, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Somebody in the GBAtemp thread made a snark about an RTX port. I would LEGIT LOVE to see that happen.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 16 of 28, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The quality of the code is surprisingly good. I think there was a lot of manual tuning for function and variable names as well as code style. However there are some functions that suggest they haven't been touched and it's unclear what they do:

static void func_80263C14(struct MarioState *m)
{
m->pos[1] = m->floorHeight;
func_80379AA4(D_80339F50[m->unk00], m->pos, m->faceAngle[1], 40.0f);
m->marioObj->header.gfx.throwMatrix = &D_80339F50[m->unk00];
}

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 17 of 28, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Fix all the glitches and you're left with a boring, repetitive waste of time.

You missed the word "playable". Obviously fixing bugs won't make it playable (although the real challenge would be making it enjoyable).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 19 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Fix all the glitches and you're left with a boring, repetitive waste of time.

You missed the word "playable". Obviously fixing bugs won't make it playable (although the real challenge would be making it enjoyable).

What, you don't find endless levels of rings to be cool?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder