VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

gdjacobs check the posts on msfn already linked by dottoss , he is aware of it 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 21 of 47, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MERCURY127 wrote:

there must be only ONE place for Rudolph's products collection.

Anyone can upload the software to archive.org - as long as the creator name field is correctly filled with:

Rudolph R. Loew

it can easily be found in one place here:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator% … olph+R.+Loew%22

I have uploaded the missing software posted here to archive.org now.

rloew wrote:

In terms of the patches, please continue to make them available - I want his impact to continue for as long as it can.

Thank you for your generosity. Not everyone would've been so open about releasing commercial software.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 22 of 47, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

gdjacobs check the posts on msfn already linked by dottoss , he is aware of it 😀

Yes, I see the posts on MSFN. I expect they're just as happy as we are to be in touch and help where we can.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 47, by LoneCrusader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rloew wrote:

My aunt (Rudy's sister) just made me aware of this thread and I appreciate the positive sentiments towards my father made here.

In terms of the patches, please continue to make them available - I want his impact to continue for as long as it can. At some point, I will try to piece together what he had and make it publicly available. It is a difficult time at the moment and figuring out his computers is a challenge.

I'm glad to know that more of Rudy's family is aware of the communities he was involved in. I wish I had known more about him, but despite all of the messages we exchanged over the 10 years I've known him we never discussed much in the way of personal matters. I sent you a message over on MSFN but I thought I would post here as well, to make sure someone knows.

Regarding his computers; I do know he used his RFDISK multi-boot program to work around the 4 primary partition limit and install multiple OS'es, and I know he had at least two machines he used regularly and he was in the process of building a newer one; not sure how far he progressed with that. I last exchanged messages with him around the third week of August July and he was trying to iron out bugs. You're probably already aware of all of that, but if it helps or I can be of any more assistance (we frequently discussed his current projects) please don't hesitate to ask. I grieve with you all at his loss, I considered him one of my best friends.

Last edited by LoneCrusader on 2019-10-07, 06:43. Edited 1 time in total.

stillwin9598msfnsq1.PNG
Author of FIX95CPU - Run Windows 95 on >2.1GHz Processors!
Author of XUSBSUPP - "NUSB for Windows 95!"

Reply 25 of 47, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RIP,
I never knew how old he was, i bough last of his patches month or two ago.. he deserve big respect too keep at the edge of technology for such long time. I dunno how big things did within his mathematics, simulation career, but afaik these patches for him only some thing on the side.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 26 of 47, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote:

RIP,
I never knew how old he was, i bough last of his patches month or two ago..

I heard he was born in 1952, so he was likely 67 years old when he died.

Anyway, R.I.P. Rudolph Loew. Even though I've never really heard of him, he seemed to have some pretty interesting stuff to offer, as I've seen from him. He will be missed 🙁

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 27 of 47, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to admit that I hadn't heard of Rudolph Loew. He was clearly a talented, skilled and enthusiastic software engineer to work on such amazing projects. My sincere condolences to his loved ones. May he Rest in Peace.

It's good to see his software being safeguarded and published in his name. Hopefully, it will be possible to preserve the source code of his work as well.

Reply 28 of 47, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speaking of source code, on MSFN the source code for his DOS TRIM program has been released:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/180215-rloew-195 … comment=1171471

Reply 29 of 47, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rloew wrote:

My aunt (Rudy's sister) just made me aware of this thread and I appreciate the positive sentiments towards my father made here.

In terms of the patches, please continue to make them available - I want his impact to continue for as long as it can. At some point, I will try to piece together what he had and make it publicly available. It is a difficult time at the moment and figuring out his computers is a challenge.

I thoroughly appreciate your generosity and goodwill but I have mixed feelings about using your father's software without having to pay a cent for it. It makes me feel like I'm not paying respect to your father's work. Is there a way I can give you a donation as a tribute to his legacy?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 30 of 47, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's in their will to ask for donations, best way would be via PayPal IMO.
Making his software more visible is in my opinion a way of respect in itself, with appropriate remarks and acknowledges (aka. not taking it as own work).
History of the world has proven that we should care about things that might be forgotten, simply because no one knew about them.

Reply 31 of 47, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When i paid to Rloew i did it already through his Paypal account: rloew@hotmail.com , so it exist, i would be nice only keep it alive and make some Paypal Donate button and place it on every page, were would be possible to download his work.

Otherwise its possible to see his site through some Internet Wayback machine etc?

It would be nice to make some online sheet with list of his tool and download links.. for full versions and demos and columns for source codes. Get full versions would be more complicated unless someone like Lone Crusader would get direct access to his storage. I never counted them, but there was maybe 30 or 50 different tools and packages.

Unless there would be some better option, i think that same all binaries package as part of Vogons Drivers Library would be nice.. there are not mostly drivers, but it could be anytime in future renamed to Vogons Drivers and Utils etc.. or Vogons loot:)

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 32 of 47, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote:

Otherwise its possible to see his site through some Internet Wayback machine etc?

Sure: https://web.archive.org/web/20190812081523/ht … ew.x10host.com/

Regarding the full versions, have a look at Re: Rudolph Loew apparently passed away in September 2019

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 34 of 47, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It was probably a good thing for Rudolph's son to make a new site related to him. It could be a continuation of Rudolph's old official website, or maybe a tribute/memoir to him...

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 35 of 47, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd be interested to learn the kinds of tools and libraries he used for his projects. His modifications tended to be not insignificant.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 36 of 47, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If anyone wants to compile together a website with all of the files and descriptions and save it in html format with the files in a zip file I will happily mirror it on my own private web server to make sure this stays available to the public for as long as I'm alive.

Reply 37 of 47, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am sad to hear this, Rloew is a name I've seen around for more than a decade and his loss cannot be quantified.

Thanks to his family for allowing his work to be preserved.

Thanks to everyone for uploading it to archive.org for safe keeping.

Reply 38 of 47, by rloew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologize that I don't get to check-in on here all that often. As someone noted, I got my father a proper domain https://rloewelectronics.com and it contains a link to the most recent version I had of his old website. The main page is slowly a dump of his projects and other related stuff. That being said, feel free to mirror/host and maintain other copies of the materials.

I'm generally trying to add some stuff every weekend. It's the only way I can sort through all of his projects. I appreciate the interest I've seen in his work!