VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just curious if any of you use a NVME as your primary boot/OS drive? I am using an ASRock Taichi Ultimate x470 motherboard and I have made sure the HDD LED activity light on the case is hooked up properly to the mobo. The NVME is plugged into the motherboard's M.2 slot. When I boot, the HDD LED lights up a little bit here and there, but once in Windows it barely ever flashes. Have any of you found this to be so on your systems as well? I even installed DriveGLEAM and it shows the C: NVME drive constantly active with its virtual LED in Windows, but the physical LED in the case does not mirror this activity, I just found this strange. Before you even ask, yes, I made sure my HDD LED wire is plugged in properly and in the correct position. Maybe this is just normal for a NVME, but just curious what others have experienced.

Reply 1 of 9, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't say that I've noticed this. I do have a newer gen NVME samsung 960 pro in my z390 mainboard. But I also have 4 other HDDs in the system so if anything there is rarely a time when my HDD led isn't blinking. Probably the most annoying I've noticed is that my HDD activity LED seems to now light in sync with audio playback on some videos, mainly those I stream from youtube. I don't recall that happening with my old system at all.

I will have to look into this DriveGLEAM. What exactly is it for?

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 2 of 9, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using an M.2 SSD (crucial mx500) with it's own (annoyingly orange - I taped over it) LED. It blinks very often and does NOT even closely resemble the pattern I see on my hdd activity LED connected to the motherboard (aorus x570 pro), which almost never blinks. I was just figuring those activity LEDs are for show at this point, since there is always disk activity going on in Windows 7 and above.

Maybe the front panel header is programmed to only flash when the disk reaches a certain sustained level of read or write load? Who knows. Only way to even possibly find out would be to ask a gigabyte rep on another forum, and they would probably think I was crazy 😜

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Samsung Evo 860 M.2 in a M.2 to SATA adapter card works with the case LED just fine. Not eve sure if my main desktop with built-in m.2 has a HD led.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 9, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CrossBow777 wrote:

I will have to look into this DriveGLEAM. What exactly is it for?

It's a hard drive activity monitor utility for Windows. Has HDD activity lights in your taskbar etc.

http://www.dirtcellar.net/software.php

BeginnerGuy wrote:

Maybe the front panel header is programmed to only flash when the disk reaches a certain sustained level of read or write load? Who knows. Only way to even possibly find out would be to ask a gigabyte rep on another forum, and they would probably think I was crazy 😜

Yeah man, ASRock support is absolutely the pits. It's a nice board, but I wont even attempt to ask them as every time I have in the past I get very generic answers or none at all.

DosFreak wrote:

My Samsung Evo 860 M.2 in a M.2 to SATA adapter card works with the case LED just fine. Not eve sure if my main desktop with built-in m.2 has a HD led.

That's exactly what I am trying to figure out. Does the HDD LED on the motherboard directly reflect activity from it's built-in M.2 slot or just the SATA controller. It lights up here and there, but randomly and not in sync with the NVME drive. At this point, I am guessing the M.2 slot has no activity LED associated with it. It's not a big deal except I like the aesthetic of the HDD LED activity light.

Reply 5 of 9, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welp, my question just got answered by accident. Burning a DVD tonight from my NVME and the HDD LED is solid when the SATA DVD burner is active. So it looks like the HDD LED is strictly tied to the SATA controller on this board. At least I know now.

Reply 7 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

Welp, my question just got answered by accident. Burning a DVD tonight from my NVME and the HDD LED is solid when the SATA DVD burner is active. So it looks like the HDD LED is strictly tied to the SATA controller on this board. At least I know now.

Out of curiosity, you mean that it doesn't stay on if you make a copy of a huge file on the same drive?

Reply 8 of 9, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stenzek wrote:

For what it's worth, the HDD indicator light flashes with disk activity on a Samsung 960 Evo NVMe on both my Asrock X99 and MSI X570 motherboards.

Good to know. I'm using a Plextor M9Pe 1TB NVME in the Gen3 M.2 slot and absolutely zero HDD LED activity out of that. The board does have a second Gen2 M.2 slot, but not in use.

konc wrote:

Out of curiosity, you mean that it doesn't stay on if you make a copy of a huge file on the same drive?

It shows zero activity when in use. It's why I grabbed driveGLEAM with its on-screen HDD activity lights in the taskbar. That does show the NVME activity and it chatters constantly with reads and writes. So the case LED is not reflecting that activity coming from the M.2 slot the NVME is plugged into.

Reply 9 of 9, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine shows activity correctly... ASUS Z270-A Prime

SSD is an HP EX950 NVMe connected to M.2 slot

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif