VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/topic/4476 … s-after-release

Players trying to launch Tron: Evolution are now met with a message telling them that the 'serial key has expired'. This applies to the retail version as well as the Steam version which is delisted from the store. Players who previously bought the game from Steam cannot play the game

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 18, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So instead of fixing the problem and removing the needless DRM, it just gets delisted from the Steam store?

I like how that "official response from Disney" calls this a "hiccup".

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 18, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can already see that "patch"... Disney will visit GameCopyWorld and will push "update" from there to Steam...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 5 of 18, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I honestly wished Valve put in a contractual obligation that, if you're going to publish to the Steam storefront, the only DRM you are allowed to use is the Steamworks DRM itself and nothing else.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 18, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

This is why I personally dislike DRM in general, and Online DRM in particular - the developer/publisher can do as they please, while legit users suffer (pirates, of course, get all the breaks in the meantime).

"Forcing" legally bought/licensed PC games/software into obsolescence by disabling them should not be legal, but it is at present. Damn you EULAs and the people who write them! 😠 😒

(And to those that want to discuss the semantics of DRM, virtual contracts and software piracy: do it among yourselves. I'm out!)

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 7 of 18, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

So instead of fixing the problem and removing the needless DRM, it just gets delisted from the Steam store?

This is less scummy than it sounds - it just means no more people can buy it new, which is a good thing for a game that literally can't be played without pirating it anyway. If it's in your library, you can still try to launch & play it. (I have other delisted games in my library that are still there.) I mean, the whole situation is still scummy as all hell, but at least they've given one proton's worth of a shit to stop selling their unplayable game.

Why the hell does SecuROM even have a "subscription" option with a guaranteed kill-switch? That's not letting a game die out of apathy, that's premeditated killing. As far as I'm concerned, both parties are completely at fault here.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8 of 18, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn you EULAs and the people who write them

Actually, Steam are selling goods mostly, regardless of what their own or third-party EULA claims. EULA can't overwrite the law.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 18, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote:

UGH, F Jim.

Why? He is annoying as fuck and gets obsessively hung up on things but he is right on the money about unacceptable AAA gaming “industry” ethics, practice and behavior.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:

UGH, F Jim.

Why? He is annoying as fuck and gets obsessively hung up on things but he is right on the money about unacceptable AAA gaming “industry” ethics, practice and behavior.

There are millions of people who are "right on the money" about these things. No need to choose a particularly annoying specimen to listen to.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 13 of 18, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:

UGH, F Jim.

There are millions of people who are "right on the money" about these things. No need to choose a particularly annoying specimen to listen to.

In my experience there are really very few people who are consistently right on the money.

Reply 14 of 18, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He is annoying as fuck and gets obsessively hung up on things

You know that he does this on purpose, right?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 16 of 18, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

He is annoying as fuck and gets obsessively hung up on things

You know that he does this on purpose, right?

Oh yeah, and personally I don't mind his eccentricity and antics. He's a character.

Reply 18 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
RoyBatty wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Good. I'll make sure to link him even more (where applicable)

Glad to see your posts are just as pointless as ever.

Please behave

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper