Common searches

Vogons streaming announcement thread

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welp, I think that episode went well! In terms of gameplay/being interesting and video quality at least. We managed a 6-in-one: Arvoesine, Edge of the Planet, Seven Minutes, ROM Check Fail, Battle Girl, and Out There Somewhere - all titles I really wanted to cover but too short to do on their own. As usual, you can watch the saved broadcast for 14 days but I'll probably highlight it before it "expires". (Also, I had an UTTER brainfart when talking about the devs behind Out There Somewhere - they worked on something huge afterwards, which I absolutely knew about. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out what it was.)

Still not happy with the audio quality, but that was partly my fault for boosting it for one of the quieter games & forgetting to turn it back down 😠 after carefully levelling everything before going live. One change I'm making is I'm going to put OBS on its own monitor so I can see where things are peaking without alt+tabbing around (actually I'm moving Twitch chat to a separate netbook entirely which frees up a monitor for OBS, but never mind the details.)

I'm honestly not sure why I'm getting such poor results out of my mic. I'm using a decent over-ear mic (Shure WH20) running through a Tascam US-122 Mk.II which has proper mic preamps. It just seems like I can't get the volume levels out of it I want, and if I boost it too much in software, I get a bunch of crunchy noise at the bottom like you can hear in this episode. I tried running the mic through a DI box (ART Dual-Z Direct) but that attenuates the signal even further and I can't tell if it does anything for the noise.

If any of you have any suggestions for getting better recordings out of this setup, I'm all hears. I'm reluctant to switch to a desktop mic because then I'd have to wear headphones or risk having it pick up ambient/game audio.

NEXT EPISODE (Thursday aka tomorrow @ 1PDT) we're gonna tackle a game that's been a LONG time coming on my stream: Space Station Oblivion ('Driller' in some markets/platforms) which is best described as 1987's Crysis. As far as I can tell there is no long-play (of the DOS version) online yet, so we're gonna make one & maybe a little bit of history in the process. I have a pages of notes, I have a walkthrough, and I've already beaten the game, so I'm as ready as I'm gonna be. If we get through it in enough time, we'll also take a look at a bunch of other games based on the same engine, including one that originated on this very forum. Hope to see you all there!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 21 of 26, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had some stuff to do earlier this week, so wasn't able to get on Tuesday, but today's stream is going live at 1 PM PDT as usual (in ~1.5h). Today we're switching things up a little and playing a more modern exploration puzzle platformer. It's based on non-Euclidian geometry and is reported to be a bit of a mindfuck. Going in blind so who knows how this will play out. Should be a good time regardless. https://twitch.tv/oldskooljay

Note: I'm probably gonna discontinue announcing in this thread, because I'm really not getting any feedback here. There's only so much shouting to an empty room you can do. I figured more people would be into the idea (not just watching my stream, running your own & posting it up!) but it didn't pan out that way. My regular streams on Tuesday & Thursday @ 1 PM PDT will continue, feel free to follow me on Twitch if you like my stuff and want notifications when I'm going live, and hit me up if you have a stream so I can follow you back. 😀 Big thanks to everyone who's clicked through from here and joined in the fun!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23 of 26, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Luckybob & myself streaming today @ 3PM EST. This will be our first and probably only stream with both of us under one virtual roof. Kind of a final goodbye to the Great Pentium Pro Haul of 2018. He will be doing a major unboxing of the final parts I sent him recently since I am exiting the hardware side of the hobby for the most part. Hope you can join us and chat will be open of course. This will be a Youtube stream.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXrPbaNjSmZ_ … 9FQsGw/featured

Reply 26 of 26, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yea, I was going to make it the same color as the background too, but I didn't see the option quick enough.

Why can't we all talk to each other in memes yet?

Liqmatrix and Luckybob on Youtube.
Luckybob, his arms wide!
Liqmatrix, his sails unfurled!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.