Common searches

New forum suggestions/Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 380 of 516, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You be the judge. We both made some points. Not all points were answered. Discussion was had.

Summary of Anders- points, firmly against Likes
+1,
Thinks that if you like a post, you should take the time to write it out at length, else not at all,
Hates Likes, claims they add no value,
Notes that they can create cliques,
Prefers oldschool functionality, and for Vogons to stay as oldschool as possible,
Everyone who doesn't like his view should go away to another site 😁,
Hates Likes and anything similar to Likes, such as Thanks
Claims people who support Likes are sheep, and
Likes oldschool.

Summary of Shreddoc points, mostly but-not-entirely supporting Likes
Point about the value of efficiency,
Point about the value of acknowledgement,
Notes that they can create cliques, [agreement with you]
Point that we all already embrace similar consensus methods all throughout society without angst or issue,
Reference to a similar forum where Likes were brought in,
...and worked successfully,
...and did not result in anything bad,
Showing how low-effort Like-ish behaviour, in the form of "+1" and similar,
...already exist here, and are arguably 'worse' than a simple efficient Like,
Suggesting that dominating a thread by restating the same view over-and-over isn't helpful,
...something which a Likes system is designed to help streamline, and
Showing how "modern" things are already liberally used and embraced here in the form of Emoticons.

Ultimate outcome
We don't have Likes here, and that changes my day not a whit. 😀 Apart from the pleasure of this fun conversation, naturally.

Reply 383 of 516, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-03-20, 04:17:

New rules about list megathreads (especially regarding those with very loose, broad, over-scoped criteria thresholds)?

is that a dig at this thread, or is there another one you were specifically thinking about as an example?

Reply 384 of 516, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
7F20 wrote on 2022-03-20, 19:11:
leileilol wrote on 2022-03-20, 04:17:

New rules about list megathreads (especially regarding those with very loose, broad, over-scoped criteria thresholds)?

is that a dig at this thread, or is there another one you were specifically thinking about as an example?

It's a dig at the one I just set up about documenting games with a maximum color capability of 16bit. I confirmed as much asking in my thread.

List of Windows & DOS Games with Color Mode Depths with 8bit, 15bit, & 16bit only

Reply 385 of 516, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
7F20 wrote on 2022-03-20, 19:11:

is that a dig at this thread

No it's a suggestion. There's at least one other forum i've seen with a rule like this, as pinned list topics would inspire eager recent registrants. That thread isn't the only thread i'm thinking about either.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 387 of 516, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since we're discussing vagueness of criteria: please define "list megathread". In the interests of everybody talking about the same thing, rather than a vague concept.

It seems to me there is a thin but distinct line between so-called List thread ("Quasi-Official, Technical List of All Things Under A Given Criteria"), and a temporary general discussion about given area (e.g. "tell us about the time you...." / "tell us your favourite...").

It would be a shame to see the latter type (fun, relaxed discussion) banned under the precept of unwanted repetition or generic content. Because on that basis, we might as well just ban almost all discussion : after all, virtually everything's already been said or done before! Spend 20 years+ on these kinds of forums and there is very little you have not already read (or said) 20 times, very few jokes you haven't already heard 10 versions of, etc etc. But that isn't the point. A discussion forum isn't a reference library.

Reply 388 of 516, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i don't think anyone is suggesting a ban on "tell me your favorite" anything. but yeah i guess if something like that does get made, you would bet the language would have to get hammered out pretty good to prevent people from mis-using it.

Reply 389 of 516, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm mainly wondering about the need for it. I don't think a mere few threads is necessarily justification for a new rule. I'm not entirely ignorant of the <le sigh> effect some threads can have. Guess I'm just fairly relaxed about what constitutes 'valid discussion', in the context of a casual/hobby discussion forum. Not everyone needs to like every thread.

But if there are actual detrimental or significant spamming effects occurring, then obviously that might be a problem.

Reply 390 of 516, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just spent a gooooood long time trying to find a certain message in my PM Inbox after realizing there is no search function for PMs..

Is this implementable?

Even being able to sort/filter PMs by sender/date etc. would be a welcome option.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 391 of 516, by Shishkebarbarian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

can we do a 'at your own risk' trade/sale thread/sub? ebay is expensive as hell and with new tax rules really untenable. i'd love to just trade all this extra tech i have with the good people i know here

Reply 392 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 393 of 516, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can we have a thread about reports we made or would that not suffice?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 394 of 516, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shishkebarbarian wrote on 2022-05-24, 20:57:

can we do a 'at your own risk' trade/sale thread/sub? ebay is expensive as hell and with new tax rules really untenable. i'd love to just trade all this extra tech i have with the good people i know here

Maybe try https://www.amibay.com/ (once they finish their server migration).

Reply 395 of 516, by Shishkebarbarian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-05-26, 04:38:
Shishkebarbarian wrote on 2022-05-24, 20:57:

Maybe try https://www.amibay.com/ (once they finish their server migration).

yeah i'm there. but it's mostly a EUR userbase so not very useable for buy/sell/trade as shipping becomes really crazy these days.

i hope at least for "post your surplus" board to get people in touch with each here, it's really disappointing how stubborn some mods are

Reply 396 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sorry, but the reason is not here out of stubbornness but because the board has been abused before and the owner does not wish to be in any way liable for scamms happening here. Once you knowingly provide the platform you cannot be completely absolved of responsibility. And the community takes an impact when people flock here to sell their stuff.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 397 of 516, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shishkebarbarian wrote on 2022-05-27, 15:16:

yeah i'm there. but it's mostly a EUR userbase so not very useable for buy/sell/trade as shipping becomes really crazy these days.

I assume you are also on vcfed.org? That's the opposite, mostly a non-EU userbase and might suit you better.

I'd like to add this also: wherever trades are allowed the userbase quickly changes to professional sellers/scammers, the prices align with those of ebay and the forum dies. No need to ruin a perfectly fine forum, especially when there are more channels to get stuff today.

Reply 398 of 516, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The other sad thing I've seen happen (at similar forums which have trading) is that pro buyers swoop in and take advantage of the community spirit. It only takes 1 or 2, roving like sharks all day, and suddenly any bargain is automatically snapped up. Lowball bids appear everywhere, from the same familiar names, who strangely have almost no posts in other parts of the community.

It's a nice ideal to have trading abilities but ironically we don't really have the tech yet (to make it not-suck).

Reply 399 of 516, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have one feedback related to searching around this forum, could sort the search results starting from the most recent one ("sk=t" for the URL parameter) by default? I don't like the way how the search results are currently sorted.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS