Common searches

Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 743, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I forgot to mention in my previous post. It would be nice to have a rank level for posters with 10K or over, if there isn't one already. Seems like one user is almost to this level. Not sure what you'd call it, but if a brief brainstorm has revealed some possibilities: beyond l33t, guru, or vogons guru, geek maximus, rockstar, patron, devotee extreme, ...

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 81 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

"Person without life"

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 82 of 743, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not giving a special rank that that 486dx33 BOT.

I'd rather see some sort of combo of time / quality posts. Manually assigned to a select few.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 84 of 743, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote on 2019-12-28, 03:59:
jesolo wrote on 2019-12-27, 21:39:

How do I view the latest "active topics"?
Previously, there was a link at the top you could click on that listed the latest active topics.

I analysed server logs when deciding which links should be there, and the ones you see are the ones that were shown to be regularly used. “Active topics” was not used very often at all, surprisingly! When I did the analysis, I was so sure that the “your posts” link would have been the one nobody used, but people actually use that a lot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The “new posts” and “active topics” are almost the same thing—new posts will show you what you haven’t already read, where the “active topics” is just a limited list of topics on the site sorted by last post time. So “new posts” should be more helpful since it will filter out things for you.

I now also played a bit more on my desktop PC and, although different, I think it won't take long before getting used to the new interface.
On my cell phone (or mobile phone), it does "cut off" certain shortcuts, but it's not a big issue.

What I did like on the old site is that, on my mobile phone, I didn't have to log into Vogons everytime and therefore could just click on "active topics" to see if there was anything new that caught my interest. If so, then I just logged in and typed a reply. Normally, I hate to type of my mobile phone and prefer to respond to posts mostly on my desktop PC.
However, I just created a bookmark on my mobile phone's browser to take to me to "active topics".

I think it's nice update and the fact that you can make some adjustments, to the size of the fonts, etc. is a welcome feature.

Reply 85 of 743, by zerodiagonal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everything's so huge even with the smallest font and space settings. Feels like a mobile version on the desktop.
It also feels there's a lot of empty space, specially if a series of small posts are followed.

Reply 86 of 743, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Setting font size and line spacing to small helps somewhat but I agree, there does seem to be a lot of wasted space on desktop. On mobile it feels quite busy.

I'm not a fan of either colour scheme personally.

-edit-
I previously thought my post count and join date had been affected. Turns out this was a secondary account created briefly in 2011 for some reason. My main account is fine, apologies for any confusion that may have caused!

Last edited by D2K on 2019-12-28, 21:06. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 87 of 743, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh..

That's vivid and.. childish..

The main disappointment is that text is harder to read now, especially the topic lists - they just meld into one mass of text.
And generally this kind of design does not match with the bunch of obsessive-compulsive introverts that our community is.
Cannot say what is better now... mobile support?

Is it possible to reduce saturation and contrast?

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 88 of 743, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

unknown.png

With these settings, it feels familiar.
Can we have an "even smaller" option? As well as for the icons and buttons. That would be splendid.
I am using a 25" display on 1080p and everything is still too big with these settings, the difference between the settings seems too marginal.

Reply 89 of 743, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote on 2019-12-28, 03:59:

Hey, sorry to hear that it feels like everything is too big. Unfortunately, it is difficult to make it perfect for everybody, so the default targets the most common devices: mobiles and 1080p+ monitors with a higher dpi. If you size down the whole site to 80% using your browser’s full page zoom (control-plus and control-minus) that should probably make it “correct” for you, since I’m guessing that monitor is probably closer to 72dpi and so the pixels are pretty large compared to new screens.

Yeah, my current monitors are not Retina: ViewSonic VA712 (1280 x 1024 96dpi 17") and LG E2341 (1920 x 1080 96dpi 23"). Most of my friends and known people also using similar monitors, so it is not clear where the myth came from, that everyone is using monitors with high dpi. Mobile devices, really, are hi-dpi now, but desktop (huh, tower and mini-itx 😀 ) PCs are still mostly equipped with older monitors. Especially in offices. But in homes too. Low-end laptops too had got such displays only since 2015, or even later.

For the rest, I like the new design. It's really retro-styled, and comfortable (with zoom).

jaZz_KCS wrote on 2019-12-28, 11:59:

With these settings, it feels familiar.
Can we have an "even smaller" option? As well as for the icons and buttons. That would be splendid.
I am using a 25" display on 1080p and everything is still too big with these settings, the difference between the settings seems too marginal.

+1 Design like like browsing modern WWW on 800x600 is overdo. 😁

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 91 of 743, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tis ok, a wee bit hard on the eyes, but i liked it the way it was as i found it when i joined.

Last edited by Bige4u on 2019-12-31, 14:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 92 of 743, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I HATE the secondary color for posts ("lighter purple" ?).
It's unwatchable on on S10 since it's only shows dots - like WTF ?
QxiA8SW.jpg
^That's how most posts with quotes look like now, on my Galaxy S10 using Opera browser (not logged in/default theme, "mobile" enabled).
Why it's SOOO ugly ?
PLEASE switch it to unified color WITHOUT dots (I do NOT care about every background being the same color even).

Some of us are using high res. displays (and browsers with zoom feature), so I'm not sure WHY someone thought he can get away with this BS shading/grading (?) color scheme.

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2019-12-28, 12:51. Edited 3 times in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 93 of 743, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yess!!! Even with javascript enabled the site still loads lightning fast! Good work!! I can get used to the new layout but not a site that loads at dial-up speed on my broadband connection. Kudos and beers all around!

Reply 95 of 743, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, I love the new interface! And now with support for emojis as well. Woohoo! 🥳

Most feedback here so far has been about the colors. But I'd like to emphasize the huge improvement in usability, particularly on mobile devices. Something as simple as non-reflowing text, forcing us to scroll horizontally or rotate our phones sideways. And even then we'd have to zoom in to read the small fonts, which was made worse by the text being black on the old purple background. Plus the finicky links that were all hard to tap on.

All of that has been fixed! Thank you. 😊

As for the colors, I like the homage to the C64. However, I've noticed the background color being clearly different when viewing the site on my mobile phone than it is when viewing it on my laptop. On my laptop it's C64 blue. On my phone it's lilac. Is that on purpose? Not that I mind.

Anyway, although I'm sure there's always room for further urimprovement, I absolutely love the new VOGONS. Excellent work!

Oh, and also kudos for adding the 2FA option to better secure our accounts. 👍

Reply 96 of 743, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't even notice the dithering, I have to look up close to check it out. Gives appropriate passive matrix 18-bit lcd feels.

Dominus wrote on 2019-12-28, 11:01:

"Person without life"

a little redundant considering the definition of レイ

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 97 of 743, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a way to change colors ?
this is killing my eye sight 😳

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 98 of 743, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2019-12-27, 21:39:

How do I view the latest "active topics"?
Previously, there was a link at the top you could click on that listed the latest active topics.

Thanks to everyone involved for your work in updating the look and feel of the forum!

I too would like an "Active topics" link that doesn't require to be logged in. It was present in the old layout and handy when you want to peruse what topics are active without logging in.

Reply 99 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

funnily enough the only device that the dithering causes flickering on is on my phone, which apparently now are the only devices this site is optimized for (a site that used to be about retro computing apparently?)

also neither content nor UI elements are clearly seperated from the background anymore, it's just one big soup of things and everything uses up way more space now.
on desktop it is simply unusable though as trying to read anything hurts my eyes and I can't do it for more than a few seconds.