Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 743, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I can't login on my win10 phone so I doubt it has to do with sse2

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 261 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
cde wrote on 2020-01-01, 15:03:
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-01, 13:01:

Snover already replied in this thread or another why more themes are not feasibly.

That's too bad. High-contrast themes such as black on white or light grey on black can be really useful for people with visual disabilities.

Do you have such a disability and aren't there other ways to fix that on your computer?
And while that doesn't help you with disabilitiesm Vogons didn't have such a theme before as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 262 of 743, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-01, 15:11:
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-01, 13:01:

Snover already replied in this thread or another why more themes are not feasibly.

That's too bad. High-contrast themes such as black on white or light grey on black can be really useful for people with visual disabilities.

Do you have such a disability and aren't there other ways to fix that on your computer?
And while that doesn't help you with disabilitiesm Vogons didn't have such a theme before as well.

I use the "toggle darkmode" firefox extension. However the results are far from ideal, hence why a native theme for either dark or white mode to improve legibility would be useful.

Reply 263 of 743, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The UI/UX experience is alright, it will take a while to get used to it, but it's normal for any redesign.

The pagination could be improved a little, I admit I didn't immediately understood its layout. The timestamp / permalink bar should probably "pop" just a bit more for the odd rows. The default text font size is on the small side but on the other hand, the general VOGONS audience would probably appreciate a more information dense layout compared to a more "white-space"-y style. At 120% browser rescaling it's still usable without any major layout issues.

The color scheme is... sorry, but it feels quite hard on my eyes - it could be formally correct in terms of WCAG color contrast but the white text on indigo/bluish tone feels like flickering. Had to switch to the old color scheme. Tested it on both a regular middle-of-the-road laptop screen and a BENQ BL2420PT color graded monitor with sRGB color profile.

Reply 264 of 743, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These is a bug with search feature and even searching for your own posts.
The button does not work.
At least NOT on my iPad and Safari browser.
Question : How do you search for your own posts now ?

Attachments

Reply 265 of 743, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't support criticizing work done by people in their spare time and not getting compensated for it.

...hence I'll just quietly cry in the corner mourning the old design and usability.

(OMG, at least where's the button for smileys?!)

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 267 of 743, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Orka Borka wrote on 2020-01-01, 16:52:

The color scheme is... sorry, but it feels quite hard on my eyes - it could be formally correct in terms of WCAG color contrast but the white text on indigo/bluish tone feels like flickering. Had to switch to the old color scheme. Tested it on both a regular middle-of-the-road laptop screen and a BENQ BL2420PT color graded monitor with sRGB color profile.

Same here with my eyes. Have to squint to see the darn site correctly, plus, everything's so jumpy and blurry and I even changed the color scheme, which makes it better (to a point).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 268 of 743, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-01-02, 04:00:

If it's NOT broken then don't fix it.
The old version was better.

It was broken. The version of phpbb used was no longer supported with current versions of PHP. Nobody wants to see the forum defaced or cracked wide open, so it's best to use a platform that receives patches for vulnerabilities as they're discovered.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 270 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Orka Borka wrote on 2020-01-01, 16:52:

It is indeed WCAG Level AAA compliant.

Could you explain what you mean by “feels like flickering”?

bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-01-02, 04:06:

Same here with my eyes. Have to squint to see the darn site correctly, plus, everything's so jumpy and blurry and I even changed the color scheme, which makes it better (to a point).

Could you explain what you mean by “jumpy and blurry”? Because you mentioned that it seems blurry, do you happen to know if you have uncorrected astigmatism?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 271 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-01-01, 20:35:
These is a bug with search feature and even searching for your own posts. The button does not work. At least NOT on my iPad and […]
Show full quote

These is a bug with search feature and even searching for your own posts.
The button does not work.
At least NOT on my iPad and Safari browser.
Question : How do you search for your own posts now ?

What do you mean by “does not work”?

Zoomer wrote on 2020-01-01, 22:28:

(OMG, at least where's the button for smileys?!)

The site uses emoji now, and there are around 3000 of those, so there’s not a button to list them any more since it would be a very large list. You can use a built-in emoji keyboard ⌨️ of your OS, :shortcodes: (which have autocompletion as you type), or the O.G. emoticons :-) 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 272 of 743, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2019-12-31, 15:15:

The problem seems to be that the line spacing option affects lines within a text block, but not between them, which is where the problem is.

This was an oversight and should be fixed now. Please let me know how it is.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 273 of 743, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote on 2020-01-02, 06:10:

The site uses emoji now, and there are around 3000 of those, so there’s not a button to list them any more since it would be a very large list. You can use a built-in emoji keyboard ⌨️ of your OS, :shortcodes: (which have autocompletion as you type), or the O.G. emoticons :-) 😀

💩

Can confirm.

Reply 274 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On Windows 10, you can enable the Emoji keyboard by pressing WIN + . if the cursor is currently in a text field.
A lot of options to choose from.
😎😍😘🥰🤔🤩😏🥱😴😌😛🥶😳🤪🤕🤢🐶🐺🦒🐰🐄🐖

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 275 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote on 2020-01-02, 06:10:

What do you mean by “does not work”?

My guess: he's unfamiliar with what "Your posts" button/link has always done and is expecting to see
search.php?author_id=38118&sr=posts
when instead he sees
search.php?search_id=egosearch

I'm probably wrong tho 😜

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 276 of 743, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Norton Commander wrote on 2020-01-01, 14:01:

What OS are you running? Maybe we can recommend an alternate non-sse2 browser.

I use Windows XP SP3 and Debian 8.

I can't speak for Linux but for XP there is someone who maintains updated Mozilla binaries:
http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

He maintains forks of Firefox, Pale Moon and Basilisk for XP.

Just download any of the .7z archives with the 'IA32' suffix.

https://o.rths.ml/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.5.wi … c-xpmod-ia32.7z

https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.7.wi … c-xpmod-ia32.7z

https://o.rths.ml/gpc/files1.rt/firefox-45.9. … 4-win32-ia32.7z

I am currently using his Basilisk fork (Serpent) to post this message from my XP Laptop - I have not tried any of his non-sse builds (IA32) since my laptop does support SSE.

Reply 277 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Norton Commander wrote on 2020-01-02, 13:40:
I can't speak for Linux but for XP there is someone who maintains updated Mozilla binaries: http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/searc […]
Show full quote
Norton Commander wrote on 2020-01-01, 14:01:

What OS are you running? Maybe we can recommend an alternate non-sse2 browser.

I use Windows XP SP3 and Debian 8.

I can't speak for Linux but for XP there is someone who maintains updated Mozilla binaries:
http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

He maintains forks of Firefox, Pale Moon and Basilisk for XP.

Just download any of the .7z archives with the 'IA32' suffix.

https://o.rths.ml/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.5.wi … c-xpmod-ia32.7z

https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/palemoon-27.9.7.wi … c-xpmod-ia32.7z

https://o.rths.ml/gpc/files1.rt/firefox-45.9. … 4-win32-ia32.7z

I am currently using his Basilisk fork (Serpent) to post this message from my XP Laptop - I have not tried any of his non-sse builds (IA32) since my laptop does support SSE.

I always wanted to ask. How do you know your PC supports SSE? What about virtual machines like VMWare, how do we know?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 278 of 743, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel P3 introduced SSE. The P4 SSE2.
Athlon XP doesn't support SSE2

It's easier to use CPU-Z than to try to remember.

Vmware since newer than Vmware 12.5.9 requires VT-X so it uses your host processor. Since all host processors that use VT-X currently support SSE2 then software requiring SS2 will work assuming no bugs with the software.
The same would apply to Vmware Fusion or Virtualbox.

If you want to test for SSE issues with software then best to use real hardware or pcem. This is helpful since compilers and libraries no longer test for lack of SSE,SSE2 and it can be difficult to track down why something isn't working.

As for the Roytam1 Pale Moon aka New Moon. Please don't call it Pale Moon. The Pale Moon devs haven acted very poorly on how they've hounded roytam1 for forking and supporting old operating systems. He's currently deciding on what the new name and branding will be.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 279 of 743, by dann86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-01-02, 05:50:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-01-02, 04:00:

If it's NOT broken then don't fix it.
The old version was better.

It was broken. The version of phpbb used was no longer supported with current versions of PHP. Nobody wants to see the forum defaced or cracked wide open, so it's best to use a platform that receives patches for vulnerabilities as they're discovered.

Broken and unsupported are two different things. Wile I understand the need for the upgrade I don't think its going to stop anyone from spamming the site by shit posting.
Hopefully the staff here knows to install patches ASAP as hackers are known look at security patches for vulnerabilities then look for sites that have yet to apply the patches.