Common searches

Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 380 of 743, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2020-01-04, 10:24:
But guess what: The world doesn't stop spinning just because you want technologies back that are clearly out-of-style in the yea […]
Show full quote
hwh wrote on 2020-01-04, 03:08:

Tell you what. Here's an "old skool" opinion.

But guess what: The world doesn't stop spinning just because you want technologies back that are clearly out-of-style in the year 2020.

Nobody uses tables anymore to do webdesign - what comes next, you'd like to have frames and flash animations back?
Also: Nobody uses only text labels anymore in 2020. We have smartphones and tablets now and these don't have a lot of space, so we need to use this space in the best possible way.
It's not like the pictograms and icons used here change every second - even if you don't get them, you'll understand what they mean pretty quickly - you can also hover on all of them and a text will pop up that tells you what the button is doing.

I also think that if you actively change your browser settings to unsmooth fonts and make them more blocky, it's your own problem if some websites look worse after that. I can't even think of a site I regularly use that would work well with that.

The amount of "This website is shit" posts is really annoying, btw. I thought we were all a bunch of adults here - clearly not. This is worse than the YouTube and Facebook comment sections!

Fantastic. I have someone calling me a Luddite on VOGONS.

But that's not it. I never implied the world or this site revolves around me (no idea where that came from, great strawman). And I don't want iframes and flash. That's not next. What was next was you attacking me for whatever reason. It's a question of design. Not what year it is. I HATE pictograms and I don't need your opinion on what year I'm living in for thinking so. If you like them, you can voice that opinion too without mocking me.

As I said in my post, I believe the proper implementation is a mobile version, not to create a lowest common denominator design that is, in my view, a downgrade of a standard forum template.

You need not reply.

Reply 381 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-01-07, 01:31:

Bug report.

User Computer: iPad

You don't say.. 😁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 382 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
WinSxS wrote on 2020-01-07, 00:43:

Bad, bad changes. Very uncomfortable, I can't find now what I want. Are we retro forum, or not?

Actually yes and no. VOGONS stands for "ver old games on new systems". The retro threads came much later. And while they are certainly welcome, it's not the main goal of the forum.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 383 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hwh wrote on 2020-01-07, 10:09:
Fantastic. I have someone calling me a Luddite on VOGONS. […]
Show full quote
schmatzler wrote on 2020-01-04, 10:24:
But guess what: The world doesn't stop spinning just because you want technologies back that are clearly out-of-style in the yea […]
Show full quote
hwh wrote on 2020-01-04, 03:08:

Tell you what. Here's an "old skool" opinion.

But guess what: The world doesn't stop spinning just because you want technologies back that are clearly out-of-style in the year 2020.

Nobody uses tables anymore to do webdesign - what comes next, you'd like to have frames and flash animations back?
Also: Nobody uses only text labels anymore in 2020. We have smartphones and tablets now and these don't have a lot of space, so we need to use this space in the best possible way.
It's not like the pictograms and icons used here change every second - even if you don't get them, you'll understand what they mean pretty quickly - you can also hover on all of them and a text will pop up that tells you what the button is doing.

I also think that if you actively change your browser settings to unsmooth fonts and make them more blocky, it's your own problem if some websites look worse after that. I can't even think of a site I regularly use that would work well with that.

The amount of "This website is shit" posts is really annoying, btw. I thought we were all a bunch of adults here - clearly not. This is worse than the YouTube and Facebook comment sections!

Fantastic. I have someone calling me a Luddite on VOGONS.

But that's not it. I never implied the world or this site revolves around me (no idea where that came from, great strawman). And I don't want iframes and flash. That's not next. What was next was you attacking me for whatever reason. It's a question of design. Not what year it is. I HATE pictograms and I don't need your opinion on what year I'm living in for thinking so. If you like them, you can voice that opinion too without mocking me.

As I said in my post, I believe the proper implementation is a mobile version, not to create a lowest common denominator design that is, in my view, a downgrade of a standard forum template.

You need not reply.

I’m sorry to have bad news for you, but these pictograms are here to stay since five years ago.

They work for both mobile and desktop layouts, you probably want to go back to the web 1.0, running IE3 without style sheets...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 384 of 743, by demon_firefox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all kudos to the administration team for updating the bulletin board software and developing a new theme. As a web developer I know the effort that is necessary to pull off big updates and I really appreciate your work.

The new theme doesn't seem to appeal to everyone and that's perfectly fine. Personally, I think that the color theme is a little big too saturated and might be taxing on the eyes.

I just played a little big with the colors and mainly changed the background to a dark gray tone that is somewhat more releaxed. If you're interested, I create a userstyle that can be applied using the Stylus browser addon (Firefox, Chrome). You can grab it here: https://userstyles.org/styles/178912/vogons-o … grey-background

Screenshot

178912_after.png?r=1578396193

Feel free to leave some feedback.

kind regards,
demon_firefox

Reply 385 of 743, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 2 big problems with the new layout are:

a) Hard to separate read threads from unread threads. It was really clear on the old theme which threads you read and which ones are unread. Maybe just some more time to get used this and I'll probably be OK, although, I would be pleased with further adjustments to the theme to make it clearer.

b) I can't choose the page to go to on a particular thread from my user post page or from any of the forum index pages. Have to open the thread then manually select what page I want. I like to jump to the 2nd or 3rd last page of the longer threads so I can pickup the context and details of the current conversation on a thread, and it is very cumbersome to do this on the new board, whereas really easy on the old board.

I'm sorry, but with the above problems, I too am finding myself less drawn to spending time here. It is just HARD to enjoy this site as it is. I hope the admins can improve this. I don't want to be a pain in the butt, because I can appreciate the work that went into the upgrade and redesign, but I also want to able to navigate this place at least as well as I used to.

Reply 386 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's really not a good idea. Creating two different websites means two different codebases that need to be managed and updated.
Why put so much work into this - just because you hate pictograms? (which is not a valid reason to remove them anyway)

I think the point I made in my original post - being that you like how the web has been and unwilling to adjust to current developments - still stands.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 387 of 743, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote on 2020-01-07, 14:57:

b) I can't choose the page to go to on a particular thread from my user post page or from any of the forum index pages. Have to open the thread then manually select what page I want. I like to jump to the 2nd or 3rd last page of the longer threads so I can pickup the context and details of the current conversation on a thread, and it is very cumbersome to do this on the new board, whereas really easy on the old board.

It's best to start reading the first post first

Reply 388 of 743, by WinSxS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-07, 10:53:
WinSxS wrote on 2020-01-07, 00:43:

Bad, bad changes. Very uncomfortable, I can't find now what I want. Are we retro forum, or not?

Actually yes and no. VOGONS stands for "ver old games on new systems". The retro threads came much later. And while they are certainly welcome, it's not the main goal of the forum.

Mental shortcut. I mean exactly it all, i.a. old games and old rigs, so older-looking forum can be better related to topics.

Bad english? Don't mind, i'm still learning
Main PC: CLICK
Retro PC: CLICK

Reply 389 of 743, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't mind the new design and security feature (2FA), but, the color was troublesome on the threads. After changing it, I started to get used to it.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 390 of 743, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually yes and no. VOGONS stands for "ver old games on new systems".

That reminds me: in the previous design the acronym was explained, over the logo if not elsewhere.
But after the update, the "Very Old Games On New Systems" tagline doesn't exist anywhere, as far as I can see... so newcomers (who are mostly here for retro systems) are only going to be more confused about what VOGONS stands for. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 391 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

huh... that's true 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 392 of 743, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2020-01-07, 16:40:

Not if the thread is 650 pages long and 10 years old, like the "what retro hardware did you buy today"

Or it is are some new posts on a thread I read 6 months ago and I want to jump in a couple of pages from the end to refresh myself on the content to see the new stuff that is being said.

Another thing I miss about not being able to jump straight to a page is that it gave a very easy and quick indication of the length of the thread, the amount of content I have to check. Of course the post counter still exists, but now I have to spend more time thinking and doing the maths in my head to work it out.

Reply 394 of 743, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly saying, I liked the older design...maybe because I got used to it for the past 15 years.

But I also feel this new design is also good. I tried reverting back to "old skool" theme, but the purple looks too bright and the font color is not the same, so I reverted back to normal theme.

One good thing is that it's now phone friendly to read and navigate. Very clear and actually pleasing to use on the phone like how I am typing now.

If the "old skool" theme colors matched the former theme, I think it would be best of both worlds for me.

Otherwise, I think this new change is a welcome improvement, especially for modern devices.

EDIT:

P.S. maybe the dark mode reader plugin for my android Firefox is messing up the old skool colors.
Checked again after disabling it, now seems better.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 395 of 743, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote on 2020-01-07, 23:33:
Not if the thread is 650 pages long and 10 years old, like the "what retro hardware did you buy today" […]
Show full quote
robertmo wrote on 2020-01-07, 16:40:

Not if the thread is 650 pages long and 10 years old, like the "what retro hardware did you buy today"

Or it is are some new posts on a thread I read 6 months ago and I want to jump in a couple of pages from the end to refresh myself on the content to see the new stuff that is being said.

Another thing I miss about not being able to jump straight to a page is that it gave a very easy and quick indication of the length of the thread, the amount of content I have to check. Of course the post counter still exists, but now I have to spend more time thinking and doing the maths in my head to work it out.

it's always good to read first post as it may contain something important

You got "view first unread post" button that moves you to were you stopped reading even 6 months ago. you can read just one page and continue the next day or next week. The unread posts mark won't be wiped out on next pages. If you click on a page instead, unread posts mark is wiped out on previous pages and try to find where you stopped reading now, after 6 months, when the thread is 650 pages long.

Reply 396 of 743, by jamesp15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a note, not all the "complaints" are because of dislike of the redesign.. there are legitimate concerns as well WRT eyestrain and headaches, I am not the only one who had issues with that.

I couldnt look at the site for more than about 2 minutes before I was on the verge of a migraine.. the old school color scheme helped a lot with that for me.

I didnt care for the old site theme but between it and this new one I would take the old one but thats just me. There is no need to ridicule people for preferences, all it does is drives users away.

Reply 397 of 743, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-07, 10:57:

I’m sorry to have bad news for you, but these pictograms are here to stay since five years ago.

They work for both mobile and desktop layouts, you probably want to go back to the web 1.0, running IE3 without style sheets...

Was that necessary?

This is an example of an excellent forum layout.

schmatzler wrote on 2020-01-07, 15:52:
That's really not a good idea. Creating two different websites means two different codebases that need to be managed and updated […]
Show full quote

That's really not a good idea. Creating two different websites means two different codebases that need to be managed and updated.
Why put so much work into this - just because you hate pictograms? (which is not a valid reason to remove them anyway)

I think the point I made in my original post - being that you like how the web has been and unwilling to adjust to current developments - still stands.

First, your opinion on my opinion on pictograms is not constructive feedback. Second, it's not just because I hate pictograms. That was the example which was given in replies on this issue. I listed several requests, and, however little you seem to think of them, those were the issues that came to my mind. Maybe I didn't express it well. So you're really taking it out of context to say it's "just because I hate pictograms."

My comments aren't meant to be a cost-benefit analysis. I don't think you'll be doing the work, nor do I think my suggestions will be implemented. It was a wish list. And your point about the web is 100% correct; I don't like today's design, I find it highly objectionable and faulty, but the most I can do is speak up when we have a topic like this one.

Reply 399 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileR wrote on 2020-01-07, 21:03:

Actually yes and no. VOGONS stands for "ver old games on new systems".

That reminds me: in the previous design the acronym was explained, over the logo if not elsewhere.
But after the update, the "Very Old Games On New Systems" tagline doesn't exist anywhere, as far as I can see... so newcomers (who are mostly here for retro systems) are only going to be more confused about what VOGONS stands for. 😉

Yeah, I don't like that change. #HISTORY

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto