VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, guys!

It's been a long time! The new version of the website sure looks great!

I have been active here on Vogons for quite some time up until around 2014 when I drifted away from the whole retro hardware world completely. There were people here I remember with fondness, however, most of them have not logged in for more than a year now. I hope they are well, doing some interesting stuff and having fun. In a few years that I have not been active here on Vogons a lot has changed for me. I got married, abandoned my Ph.D. efforts, changed profession and took up long-distance cycling seriously enough to find myself at the finish line of the 1200km Paris-Brest-Paris cycling marathon. My views and ideas have changed a lot, yet I still feel that sweet spot in my heart for good old hardware.

A few days ago I looked at my 486. I loved it so much, yet there it was collecting dust under my desk, beautiful, ready to be powered up, yet lonely and forgotten. I started the machine, played some Duke3D, The Lost Vikings, then Lemmings and had a wonderful time. The next day I set the CPU to run at 3x50MHz through external switches and fired up Descent. I always wanted to know how it would work on a high-end 486 - not great, OKish, but still fun. It all felt great, I fiddled with hardware, installed the Gravis Ultrasound audio card and reconfigured the whole thing and overall had a very nice time. And I want more of it.

Since it looks like I'm once again into this hobby, it makes me look back at the old days with a newfound perspective, ask myself why I was into this hobby, what fueled my interest, why I eventually lost it. And the answer is I was young and wanted to feel special, appreciated, I wanted to be an interesting person. I felt special building the "incredibly complicated" gear. Once projects were completed and it was time to actually use them by the purpose - playing retro games on authentic hardware - I often lost interest. I also liked your feedback a lot, so much that I posted every retro find into a relevant thread, ended up hoarding more than actually having fun with. That thread, in particular, fed my interest the same way a child wants some toy simply because other children play with it and not because it is particularly fun to play with. However simple the impulse, it kept me going for longer than I could have expected.

What do I have to say now that I'm older and, presumably, wiser? Public opinion and general feeling of appreciation should never be the main reason behind your actions. Nobody truly cares about your achievements in any field except for your family or maybe your closest friends. If you are into a hobby, do what you like because you like it, not because you are supposed to like it. More so if you're about to make a life-changing decision - do it because it is best for you, your family, your friends, not someone else. Last, but not least - you don't have to be special. It seems like everybody wants to, especially here in Russia, where most people buy cars they can't realistically afford and smartphones that get outdated before the owner has a chance to close the loan. It is so abundant that not trying to be special makes one very very special.

This post is not intended as "I'm back into retro hardware, but now I don't give a shit what you think" message. I just want you to pause for a minute and think. Are you building your next ultimate rig to impress forum members or to actually play with it? Is there actual function behind the next rare audiocard you are on the hunt for or do you want it simply because others have it? Does playing retro games give you satisfaction by itself, or are you doing it because it makes you feel special?

Reply 1 of 23, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha -- this post should be marked with a warning due to the truth-bombs. 😀 This one in particular knicked a vein:

RacoonRider wrote on 2020-01-20, 16:08:

Is there actual function behind the next rare audiocard you are on the hunt for or do you want it simply because others have it?

Although, I'm not in the least concerned with what others have. It's just that I don't have it, and I'm curious about it. And admittedly sometimes to complete a collection, or to evaluate the lineage, compare one to the next, and of course... maybe someday I would want to use this one specifically, and by then it'll be impossible to obtain. Good reasons? Mmmm.. probably not all of them.

I decided to take more of your test:

Does playing retro games give you satisfaction by itself, or are you doing it because it makes you feel special?

This one, I think I passed. I truly love my hardware collection in and of itself, and I fired up my 486SX last week just to spend some time with it. I ended up playing a couple levels of Wolfenstein 3D. I hope to finish Episode 1 entirely before I get lost in other obligations and forget I was playing it. I also did some work on my Pentium II build -- that Windows 98 startup sound and the familiar desktop reminded me that I had played through Starcraft but not the expansion... so I ran through the first couple missions.

My only problem seems to be having too much to do and not enough time to do it all. 😀

This post is not intended as "I'm back into retro hardware, but now I don't give a shit what you think" message.

I think everyone could use a healthy dose of DGAF. Not too much, but just enough to be comfortable in your own skin, to do things that you wake up and can't wait to get back to doing, and feel like you're checking off things on your list toward being who you want to be and doing what you want to accomplish.

Welcome back.

Reply 2 of 23, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there actual function behind the next rare audiocard you are on the hunt for or do you want it simply because others have it? Does playing retro games give you satisfaction by itself, or are you doing it because it makes you feel special?

This forum and the rigs of other users surely had some influence over my decisions of what hardware to buy.

I probably wouldn't have gone with an overkill 1.4GHz Tualatin for my DOS/9x machine because prior to VOGONS I didn't even know these existed.
And without Philscomputerlab I wouldn't have bought a Mad16 Pro audio card.
But in the end I've built only one machine for one purpose and already spent countless hours with Archimedian Dynasty, Descent 3 and Duke Nukem 3D - so in the end, it was worth it.

Most people don't even know I am into this hobby - I never cared much about bragging. Or putting LED strips into my PC that always stays at home, anyway. But to each their own, I guess. 😀

It's very important to not get lost in front of the machine, though. We all need some people around us from time to time, being social creatures and all that.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 3 of 23, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't even post about my builds unless I have a specific question or something particularly interesting occurs. I do what I do because I want to, everyone else be damned

Reply 4 of 23, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the record, there's nothing wrong with celebrating a build you're proud of. I really enjoy browsing other people's builds just to see what choices they made, and their aesthetic decisions vs. practical decisions, etc. I'll eventually post a thread about my fleet for the same reason. I've searched for whatever info I could find on certain parts or OEM PCs along the way. I see my own future posts not as trying to brag and shower myself in the adulation of others, but as a way to provide material to those who are fascinated with some thing that I happen to have.

Reply 5 of 23, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote on 2020-01-20, 18:20:

Haha -- this post should be marked with a warning due to the truth-bombs. 😀

Hehehe 😀 The yesterday's opening post was a little bit over the edge and not entirely true, I have had countless great hours with retro hardware, especially with Libretto that is an incredibly good machine for taking with you anywhere you go. But maybe I opened a few pairs of eyes that way, at least a tiny little bit?

Gratz to all of you guys who passed at least one of my tests! And if you see signs of what I mentioned in the opening post, perhaps it's time to spice things up rather than let your interest perish? 😀

Reply 6 of 23, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dunno, I'm having a similar experience. I've cut back a bit on retro, and spend a lot more time in the saddle as of late

I think in some ways retro can be a social thing but more often than not, it means something different to everyone because at the heart of it is an attempt to reconnect with the past - YOUR past. It might intersect a bit with the experience of others but there is something about late Friday nights in the cave by yourself.

Relevant photo:

IMG_20200110_235920.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200110_235920.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 7 of 23, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh man, that's a very sweet looking roadie you got there! DA Di2, Rotor power meter and, I would guess, Edge 1030 head unit resting on a shelf somewhere? I bet it's fast as hell! Do you race?

Mine is a lot simpler, it's a self-built carbon roadie with 1x10 transmission, a healthy mix of 105, Ultegra, XT and Force1 components, a high end dynamo hub, sturdy Mavic rims and a Brooks C15 saddle. I love it very much, love doing long distances, love the overwhelming feeling of freedom, consciousness, solitude.

Reply 8 of 23, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DaveJustDave wrote on 2020-01-21, 17:46:

I think in some ways retro can be a social thing but more often than not, it means something different to everyone because at the heart of it is an attempt to reconnect with the past - YOUR past. It might intersect a bit with the experience of others but there is something about late Friday nights in the cave by yourself.

As an introvert, the time in my cave is meditation. As a social animal, I like to share the enthusiasm with anyone who's interested. A lot of times, it's just a brief detour in a "what did you do last weekend?" conversation. But then there's Vogons. And my nephew has recently taken an interest. It is't entirely niche though. The general public has a lot of go-to topics -- what's on Netflix, "the game", etc... It's not an instant hit with everyone when I mention old PCs, though it's surprising how many people say something along the lines of "oh, cool -- my first PC was a _____. ... I kind of wish I had never gotten rid of it." IMO, throwing in a topic that is maybe a bit less predictable can add some color among the "safe" subject matter.

You're totally right about it being a connection to one's own past. It's the closest thing to time travel I've found yet. I don't want to be stuck in the past, but I do like to visit. 😀

Reply 9 of 23, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome back RR!

I'm glad you're feeling wiser with age, I sure am not. I'm 42 so entering the well documented 'mid life crisis' phase and I can confirm that it's a thing - dissatisfaction and anxiety are way up so I'll take whatever motivation I can get at this stage - even if that includes FOMO or trying to impress random peeps on the internet. Whatever keeps me interested in a hobby is all good.

RE cycling, it really is a wonderful thing. I personally just cycle to commute but if I had the time I could definitely see myself nerding out on the hardware, monitoring my stats, and getting lost in long solitary rides.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 23, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh hello Rob!

You're the person from this community that I missed most 😀 I even lurked here a few times a year to check out on you, see if you've been online, without even logging in. I feel concerned ever since the news of the fires went viral, and at the same time too shy and too awkward to actually ask "How are you?".

Since you visit Vogons on a regular basis and talk of midlife crisis, it looks like you're all right and I need not have worried after all:)

Reply 11 of 23, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you building your next ultimate rig to impress forum members or to actually play with it? Is there actual function behind the next rare audiocard you are on the hunt for or do you want it simply because others have it? Does playing retro games give you satisfaction by itself, or are you doing it because it makes you feel special?

I can't think of many reasons to question the motivations of people. Other than
A. Some kind of legitimate concern that the retro gaming community that was once about fun is devolving into a dick measuring contest.
B. Jealousy
C. .some kind of purity test

I think with you it's probably A. I think that is totally fair opinion unlike the other 2 possibilities I gave. However It's really too difficult to generalize that. A lot of older people around here that started early when things were plentiful and they in most cases didn't spend a lot of money on what they got. That might seem rich for the average person who might get jealous.

As far as the purity test shit, this kinda goes to far with a lot of the period correct people. Me being old too and having lived my life though all of these periods, I think most these people have it wrong not becasue their gear isn't period correct whatever that means. But becasue that shit never mattered to us back then, becasue absolutely the gamer mentality of 2020 is the same as the 90s and people upgraded their systems and held onto them until they were no longer up gradable anymore or useful. No one build slow shit on purpose to play games becasue its pure. No one does that now and no one did that then. No one kept their systems slow when they needed more speed. All of this stuff makes me cringe.

As far as peoples motivation of Who thinks to play games becasue it makes me feel special. 🤣 I cannot even reason with that I think no one thinks that.

Rest I can just ignore I really don't care what peoples motivations are as long as they are happy, and it doesn't bother me. I cant be assed with being a Dr Phil and what not.

I generally spend most of my time around here trying to help other people who are new or try to help trouble shoot problems other users have. Thats what I enjoy the most. Besides retro gaming.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-01-22, 20:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 23, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote on 2020-01-22, 05:11:

Oh hello Rob!

Hi! Yes the bushfires have indeed been devastating this year - some fake news being generated of course but lots of people impacted in lots of locations. I'm safely tucked away in the burbs though.

Great to see you back and posting 👍

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13 of 23, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2020-01-22, 06:30:

I can't think of many reasons to question the motivations of people. Other than:

I think you're mistaking hindsight for moral superiority. My take was that OP had gone through some superficial stuff and realized that it was all castles built from sand, and thought to share the wisdom of retrospect with others. The only possible sin I can find in that is perhaps unsolicited advise, but that seems like looking for a reason to fight to me. I appreciate the reality check, as sometimes I do wonder why I "need" some part that I'm scouring for. I have to go back, after having acquired it, and assess whether I still think it was worth it. (Usually, yes... which is comforting.)

Warlord wrote on 2020-01-22, 06:30:

As far as the purity test shit, this kinda goes to far with a lot of the period correct people.

I get your point of view, but I can also see through that to witness my own irrational goals and desires. I once built a Celeron PC in a case with a model # that betrayed its origins as a 486. So I tried to build a system that made those numbers make sense in context of a Celeron. Did it matter? No. But it was a challenge to make it "sit well" with me, and that was more fun than dropping in some arbitrary hardware. I've also got a Socket 423 P4 in a SFF micro ATX desktop case. I can't use it at the moment because of thermal issues. I want to try and solve those issues to where it is usable. I could just put it in a larger case with bulk cooling and call it a day, but that's no fun. I also have a 486SX with no CD-ROM because I didn't have one when I had a 486SX in the 90s. It's about recreating that experience.

Of course I have the means to avoid all of the above self-imposed issues. But if I were interested in removing barriers, why would I be messing around with 20-40 year old hardware at all? 😉

Reply 14 of 23, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My thought was OP 1st was interested in retro system building as a hobby then it changed to doing it just becasue he wanted what other people have. And it made him feel good when other people envied what he had. But It is over thinking. If you want something just becasue someone else has it is one thing. But if you want it becasue you like it that is something different. And I think as long as you are doing something you enjoy you are doing it for enjoyment. Also there is nothing wrong with showing off or making other people envious or jealous. That is normal. Everything goes hand in hand. You buy a sports car becasue you like it, it also makes other peoples jaw drop, you see that and you are like yah I am a beast. There is nothing wrong with that its normal.

I usually don't question the motives of other people unless i was to figure out why they do something. I generally think I am too logical for other people so I generally give them the benefit of doubt that they are doing things for the obvious reasons and there is not some kinda conspiracy behind their motives unless they are really messed up people or are deceitful . But that a different discussion.

Reply 15 of 23, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do retro hardware for a few reasons:

a) A lot of the old games were fun to play. Although, admittedly, I spend less time doing this then I do mucking around with the hardware!
b) I enjoy messing around with old PC hardware. Loved it when I was younger, still love it now it seems. So much to learn and explore, even if in the end it is all kinda useless.
c) Getting to experience games and software that I used when I was younger in a new light, using more advanced hardware than I could afford at the time.

I've eased off a little bit over the last year, been getting my motorcycle license and enjoying that. I expect my interest in retro hardware will intensify and then wane off at various times, and my interest moves from topic to topic in life.

Reply 17 of 23, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote on 2020-01-23, 19:12:

My take was that OP had gone through some superficial stuff and realized that it was all castles built from sand, and thought to share the wisdom of retrospect with others.

Exactly!

Warlord wrote on 2020-01-24, 04:27:

I usually don't question the motives of other people unless i was to figure out why they do something.

Oh man, I saw that coming 😀 I don't question motives of others. The point is to ask people to question their motives on their own, which is a very good thing if you think of it.

I have found out on my personal experience that in 2010 when I had only one retro PC and zero extra parts I spent more time retro gaming,than four years later, by which time I have hoarded enough hardware to build a high-quality PC of any generation from XT to Core 2 Duo.

That first retro PC was 386SX-40 from 1995 (yes, that late!). It had no mouse and only PC speaker sound. And even though that one PC gave me access to maybe 10% of retro gaming experience, I spent more time exploring it than now that I have access to almost any PC game.

Reply 18 of 23, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I get fun out of the stuff I got cheap or free than the more costly items.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19 of 23, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote on 2020-01-24, 07:00:

That first retro PC was 386SX-40 from 1995 (yes, that late!). It had no mouse and only PC speaker sound. And even though that one PC gave me access to maybe 10% of retro gaming experience, I spent more time exploring it than now that I have access to almost any PC game.

Hah, I know what you mean.

If find myself often paralysed by TOO much choice.

So the fact that I could play almost any game is too much for my poor little mind to take in. Having only a few choices would probably mean I make a choice quicker.