First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me, its:

Warcraft 1 & 2
X-Wing series
Wing Commander series

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-05-18, 19:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 109, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Policenauts would be nice. Since the in-game graphics are digitized hand drawn artwork and the cutscenes were done using cel animation captured on film, perhaps all the assets could be scanned at a much higher resolution if they still exist.

Reply 4 of 109, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Muz wrote on 2020-01-27, 20:49:

Wing Commander series

There's a remake of Wing Commander: Privateer.

Anyway, by remaster, do you mean strictly higher resolution art, sound and music with unchanged game mechanics, or any kind of remake?

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 7 of 109, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd love it if the source code for Starsiege: Tribes v1.40 was FOSS'd so the community can make the DarkStar engine not suck so bad on modern hardware...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 109, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2020-04-04, 12:26:

for Warcraft 1 try Polanie

Guess what I just read at GOG.com:

If you buy KnightShift before 29 June 2020, 1 pm UTC, Polanie will be included as a bonus goodie for free! Polanie was the first game in the KnightShift universe available only in Polish. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to play it if you’re not ready to learn one of the hardest languages in the world.

I wonder if they'll be selling the game separately after that date.

Also someone should point out that there's a German version, and an unofficial English translation?

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 9 of 109, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jane's Fighters Anthology, remastered with either OpenGL, Vulkan, or Direct3D.

Jane-s-Fighters-Anthology.jpg

To me, the game is perfect; it's the game I keep playing over and over again from Windows 98 to Windows XP to Windows 7 64 bit. It's also highly moddable. Its only weakness is its non-accelerated 3D graphics, ergo, no texture filtering, and no anti-aliasing either.

TIE Fighters should also be remade, with texture-mapped graphics but still retaining its dynamic MIDI soundtrack. It's unfortunate the texture-mapped version of TIE Fighter does away with MIDI soundtrack.

I also long for modern remakes of Their Finest Hour, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Interstel's D.R.A.G.O.N Force (please keep the WEGO system, don't make D.R.A.G.O.N Force an RTS!), SSI's Stronghold (would be awesome with modern graphics), Sword of the Samurai, Master of Magic, and D-Day.

Quest for Glory series doesn't really need a remake, but a sequel instead.

Star Control II is perfect as it is, no remakes needed.

Also, those remakes better include PDF manuals so I could have fun printing them.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 109, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be careful what you wish for I guess - this potential Gothic remake looks atrocious based on the playable demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTb8ILmrZFA

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11 of 109, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2020-04-04, 13:03:

Yeah, I'd love Warcraft 1 on Warcraft II's engine.

Never thought about doing that but I'd go for it!

NFS3,4,Porsche still give me the most trouble to get running even on semi period correct PC's so they get my vote

Reply 13 of 109, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-07, 10:17:

Gold Box games on the Infinity Engine.

Oh dear god no. Let us just reverse engineer the original FRUA engine instead and make it compatible with all the games that uses that engine. FRUA = Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures , even though other games used the same engine. And let us hope some people makes an editor , so you can make your own adventures , just like Open XCOM . So my thought is more like, let us reverse engineer the FRUA engine, or make an engine that is 100 % compatible with the games. And add an editor so you can make your own adventures and mods to it. And in the end make it open source.

kolderman, sorry if you feel I am negative towards you.

Reply 14 of 109, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote on 2020-04-08, 19:58:

Oh dear god no. Let us just reverse engineer the original FRUA engine instead and make it compatible with all the games that uses that engine. FRUA = Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures , even though other games used the same engine. And let us hope some people makes an editor , so you can make your own adventures , just like Open XCOM . So my thought is more like, let us reverse engineer the FRUA engine, or make an engine that is 100 % compatible with the games. And add an editor so you can make your own adventures and mods to it. And in the end make it open source.

🤣 I don't mind, although I am curious you didn't really explain *why* it would be a bad idea to use the same engine as Baldur's Gate 1/2 for classic RPGs. Is it the lack of turn based play? That is fair enough, although I wonder how difficult it would be to shoehorn turn based play into that engine. Of course the 3D town navigation would have to be resolved, either by dropping it or by dropping in the DOOM engine. That would be fun 😁

Reply 15 of 109, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-08, 20:14:
WolverineDK wrote on 2020-04-08, 19:58:

🤣 I don't mind, although I am curious you didn't really explain *why* it would be a bad idea to use the same engine as Baldur's Gate 1/2 for classic RPGs. Is it the lack of turn based play? That is fair enough, although I wonder how difficult it would be to shoehorn turn based play into that engine. Of course the 3D town navigation would have to be resolved, either by dropping it or by dropping in the DOOM engine. That would be fun 😁

When you say Goldbox series, are we talking about the Pools Of Darkness etc. of games, or are we talking about the AESOP engine games ? Cause if it is the AESOP engine (such as Eye Of The Beholder and Dungeon Hack ..), then I could actually see either Doomsday engine, or Vavoom engine being used as an engine. And in some ways the Brutal Doom engine, that could actually work too. No I am not a programmer at all, but my oh my, it would actually be cool to see those games in that engine. The other games , I would not like to see in real time versions. Since there is a charm about turn based RPG games 😀

Reply 16 of 109, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I meant the original Pool of X, Y of Krynn series etc. And yes if your concern was the real-time nature, I fully agree, something like Infinity with turn-based play baked in. Really I am just saying modernized/re-mastered version of those games...the IE was just a suggestion. TBH I don't really see the AESOP games needing much remastering...I think they have aged very well. The other Gold Box games....not so much.

Reply 17 of 109, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Muz wrote on 2020-01-27, 20:49:
For me, its: […]
Show full quote

For me, its:

Warcraft 1 & 2
X-Wing series
Wing Commander series

Might&Magic III
World of Xeen
Drakkhen
Warcraft 2
Ishar 1
Civilization 1 and 2
Sim city 1 and 2000
Aliens by Cryo
Dune by Cryo
Quarantine
Curse of Monkey island
Prisoner of Ice
Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis
Hi-Octane
Ravenloft and Menzoberranzan
Stonekeep
Lands of Lore 1

Last edited by willow on 2020-04-08, 20:45. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 18 of 109, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

kolderman: Well that was the reason why I said make an open source engine that is 100 % compatible to the FRUA engine. And put an editor into the mix. There you could update the graphics and so forth through that. Bard's Tale fans, has actually worked their arses off and made an open source editor for the Bard's Tale games. And the main programmer has future plans for other games, that are not Bard's Tale games, but to make the editor called Bt Builder work with similar games.

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2020-04-08, 22:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SimTower, classic layout, for all OSes (iOS, macOS, Windows, Android)

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!