VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 109, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wrote:

The original Tomb Raider with modern WASD controls would be nice.

The original Tomb Raider Tank Controls work very well if you take your time.
The grid system used is very precise and you can get past anything with the right key presses.

Reply 61 of 109, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a lot of fantastic flight sims out there that have terrible UIs, engines (API support) and controller support. I would love to see things like Jane's AH64-D Longbow, Longbow 2, F-15, F/A-18 games updated, for example.

Unfortunately space sims have also gone the way of the dodo.. The original Lucasarts X-Wing and TIE Fighter games in a modern engine would also be amazing. Even though I love the FSCP it is more of a hack to me than a real remaster, so an updated Interplay Freespace 1/2 would also be great.

The same goes for some of the best racing games from Crammond and Papyrus featuring the best physics engines and best seasons of their genres: Grand Prix 2, Grand Prix 4, Grand Prix Legends.

I also miss the immediate accessability but adequate sophistication and incredible fun of some early strategy games such as the Microprose/Maxis stuff: Civilization II, Sim City 2000, Transport Tycoon, Theme Park, Railroad Tycoon II, Sim Earth etc.

Some genres have somehow gone extinct and they used to be incredible fun, I don't see why they are not revived as simple indie games; topdown racing games like Super Cars 2, Skidmarks etc. for example, where are they now?

I really miss some of the old text/graphics adventure hybrids such as The Guild of Thieves and Wonderland from Magnetic Scrolls, I wonder why nobody does games like these anymore.. Not fit for the millenail generation?

These are off the top of my mind..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 62 of 109, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-21, 06:51:

Some genres have somehow gone extinct and they used to be incredible fun, I don't see why they are not revived as simple indie games; topdown racing games like Super Cars 2, Skidmarks etc. for example, where are they now?

A potential sequel to Skidmarks was planned for PC and PS1 but was never completed.
Motorstorm RC was released on PS3 and Vita in 2012 and I think it was the last game in the topdown racing genre.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 63 of 109, by Desomondo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tannerstevo wrote on 2020-05-20, 22:26:
wrote:

The original Tomb Raider Tank Controls work very well if you take your time.
The grid system used is very precise and you can get past anything with the right key presses.

They are functional, sure. I've beaten the game enough times to know it inside out and back to front so I can agree they work. But I don't think for a second they couldn't be improved with mouse driven free-look and WASD like controls, just like Doom or Duke or Quake. And if you were doing to remaster it you might has well update the controls while you were at it. Otherwise you end up with a StarCraft remaster situation: all this new art and widescreen support, etc. but it doesn't have a single UI improvement from even Blizzard's own later games. Sort of defeats the point IMHO.

Win98: PII 400 | 440BX | Voodoo3 | Live + SB16
WinME: P4 HT 641 | 865G | Geforce4 Ti4400 | Audigy2ZS
WinXP: C2 Q9400 | G41 | Geforce GTX 280 | X-Fi
Win7: i7 2600K | P67 | Geforce GTX 980ti | X-Fi
Win10: R7 5800X | X570 | Radeon RX 6800 | X-Fi Titanium

Reply 64 of 109, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-20, 14:31:

No, remastered games are never good. thay never leave the game it self alone and change things for the worse. I get wanting better graphics and sound and what not, but it never ends up that way.

can a retract this? A remake of ske free would be cool. Can't see how they would fudge that up.

Reply 65 of 109, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My vote goes to : Redneck Rampage and Dark Forces.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 66 of 109, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
austinham wrote on 2020-05-21, 14:37:

can a retract this? A remake of ske free would be cool. Can't see how they would fudge that up.

Ski Free would be the easiest game to fudge up royally. Much of its charm lies in its simplicity. I can readily imagine someone trying to throw in unsightly pre-rendered graphics.

Just look at what they've included in the Edge browser:
https://www.howtogeek.com/659743/how-to-play- … t-surfing-game/

Reply 67 of 109, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Less remastered and more completely remade, but Deus Ex - Invisible War.

The overall concept was decent, but the combination of an engine that ran badly at the time and an insulting amount of oversimplification to cater to what they thought the Xbox audience wanted kind of killed it. The PS2 version of the original Deus Ex did a much better job of adapting the concept to a console.

The game's okay, but levels bigger than a shoebox and more complexity would vastly improve it. I don't think it would ever happen though; so much effort would be needed that it would probably make more sense to create a completely new game.

Reply 71 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MicroProse Grand Prix (first edition)

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 72 of 109, by Desomondo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote on 2021-01-05, 16:40:
Desomondo wrote on 2020-05-19, 21:04:

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … lper-for-tr1-5/

Thank you for linking that. I tried it out and sadly it wasn't very good. It seems to use an autohotkey-like script that remaps keyboard controls to the mouse which ends up being about as janky and laggy as it sounds. I'm admittedly a very picky bastard when it comes to mouse support though. Any form of lag, smoothing or acceleration just drives me nuts. That being said, I appreciate the thought.

Win98: PII 400 | 440BX | Voodoo3 | Live + SB16
WinME: P4 HT 641 | 865G | Geforce4 Ti4400 | Audigy2ZS
WinXP: C2 Q9400 | G41 | Geforce GTX 280 | X-Fi
Win7: i7 2600K | P67 | Geforce GTX 980ti | X-Fi
Win10: R7 5800X | X570 | Radeon RX 6800 | X-Fi Titanium

Reply 73 of 109, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really have to wrack my brains on this one. Almost every game I'd suggest has actually been remade/remastered. And frankly, after the debacle that was Warcraft III Reforged, I'd rather not risk a classic I adore getting ruined. Or worse, being turned into a.... ugh... service.

Even games that are spiritual successors to games I loved feel like some sort of cargo cult, going through the motions affair. Some secret sauce is just missing from the final product, despite how much it apes the originals. That's how I felt about Lethis: Path of Progress with respect to all the Impressions city builders it was inspired by.

I suppose I'd enjoy if the Gold Box games got the same treatment the original Bard's Tale games did.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 74 of 109, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-19, 23:26:

SimCity and SimTower definitely need a remaster for modern windows and macOS! I miss these games. While we're at it, I never played SimFarm?

I fully agree with this!

I'd also add to this Maxis list

Streets of sim city (I spent hours playing this game as a kid and now my son loves it.)

Sim safari

Sim park

Sim farm

Sim ant

Sim town

Sim island

Widgets work shop

Sim copter

We were quite the maxis house hold back in the day.

I truly do wish that sim Mars wasn't cancelled

I still have all these games and we still play them.

Last edited by chrismeyer6 on 2021-01-06, 20:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 75 of 109, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Namrok wrote on 2021-01-06, 20:22:

And frankly, after the debacle that was Warcraft III Reforged, I'd rather not risk a classic I adore getting ruined. Or worse, being turned into a.... ugh... service.

My thoughts exactly.

Nowadays, I prefer to just play the originals on period-correct hardware instead of having them remade into micro transaction infested abominations. And fan-made "remasters" are often just as bad, with wannabe "developers" messing up the game balance by introducing a bunch of arbitrary changes.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 76 of 109, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Desomondo wrote on 2021-01-06, 19:18:
robertmo wrote on 2021-01-05, 16:40:
Desomondo wrote on 2020-05-19, 21:04:

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … lper-for-tr1-5/

Thank you for linking that. I tried it out and sadly it wasn't very good. It seems to use an autohotkey-like script that remaps keyboard controls to the mouse which ends up being about as janky and laggy as it sounds. I'm admittedly a very picky bastard when it comes to mouse support though. Any form of lag, smoothing or acceleration just drives me nuts. That being said, I appreciate the thought.

Well there is also OpenTomb. Maybe that could help. And OpenTomb does have WASD too.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=197508

Reply 77 of 109, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is that Amiga game called Flag I saw some preview screenshot on a magazine back then. I just drooled on the magazine pages, this game had everything I ever dreamed of : isometric projection graphic, capture the flag gameplay and what one could consider an open-world to explore back then. So I was praying every night for a PC port, little did I knew the Amiga would never even get to be finished...

The relation I made from this game to this thread is that I just recently read something Ian Harling, the graphician, wrote in a 2004 interview : "The problem with it was that it was too original - although nowadays there are literally tens of games using the same ideas." Somebody has an idea of what games he might refer to ?

Reply 78 of 109, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the original CnC series has been modernized (Tiberian Sun and RA2 are perfect as they are). Warcraft 1 maybe, Warcraft 2 is perfect as it is, Polanie is not so good as to replace Warcraft 1. Quake 2 maybe. The thing is late 2d is perfect as it is, but early 3d has not aged well. Never do you need to remake Jazz Jackrabbit(maybe higher resolution mode) or almost all Sega Genesis and SNES games. And late PC platformers or shootemups.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 79 of 109, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jazz remastered? No way. I even hated 2 back in the day. Jazz1 is what it is and we love it for exactly that.

I'd say Tempest but it's been done with Tempest 4000 (I hate it), however X3 on emulation is nice. So there's that.
Sam and Max had several sequels in form of episodes, that's already covered too.
Cannon Fodder... The 3rd installment just doesn't feel right.

Maybe Atari Circus, with a USB paddle controller with an analog pot in it? 😁

TBH, while I know it's never going to happen and that there is no point in it really, I generally like the more arcadey feeling of earlier NFS games such as 2SE and would appreciate a remaster of that, or even the first one in the series. Mostly for the memories... Don't really know how I'd feel about it, might possibly just not feel the same.

I'd surely fall for Rampart with HD graphics though 😜

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe