VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 109, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I also loved Jazz1 but never got into Jazz2.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 81 of 109, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake 2 did get a ray tracing patch that completely overhauls lighting and makes it look like a new game.

Steam Store Page: https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1089130/#

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 82 of 109, by Digidreamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Robosaurus VS Space B@$#ards , on a Android port
or
Flux LE

I Like Charity Shops, they're like steam and GOG but cheaper.

Windows 7 - HP730 Air cooled, 8Gb, GT1030
Windows 98se - Wyse V10LE 1.2Ghz, 1 Gb, 16Gb SSD
Windows 98se - Compaq Evo 550d SSF, P4 2Ghz, 1Gb, 60Gb(Partitioned)
Dos 6.2 - HP7510 512Mb, 4Gb

Reply 83 of 109, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-01-07, 14:30:

Quake 2 did get a ray tracing patch that completely overhauls lighting and makes it look like a new game.

Quake 2 RTX is legit fantastic, if you have the hardware to run it. Crucially, none of the gameplay is changed. Also, unlike a lot of RTX enabled games, it's fully path traced instead of using a hybrid traditional/ray traced lighting model to try to optimize performance.

In fact, they just patched it recently to use Vulkan's ray tracing API, which improved performance. They also improved the upscaler. So you can set 60 fps as your target, and it will scale the resolution to hit it. Used to be I could always tell when it was upscaling and it was ugly as hell. Now I can barely notice.

Also has a bunch of high resolution texture packs. Some of the reflectivity in the new textures really makes some areas pop. I think the models are unchanged, as their low poly count is the only thing making full path tracing feasible. Although I could swear the rail gun is different.

It's also nice that you can use your original Quake 2 install media for it. When I built a buddy of mine a new computer last year with a 2070 Super, I just installed Quake 2 off my old cd from the 90's, made him a steam account, grabbed Quake II RTX for free, and he was good to go. Great showcase for his new rig, totally free thanks to the wonders of physical media.

Man it was nice when you could actually share games with friends.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 84 of 109, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Namrok wrote on 2021-01-07, 16:05:
Quake 2 RTX is legit fantastic, if you have the hardware to run it. Crucially, none of the gameplay is changed. Also, unlike a […]
Show full quote

Quake 2 RTX is legit fantastic, if you have the hardware to run it. Crucially, none of the gameplay is changed. Also, unlike a lot of RTX enabled games, it's fully path traced instead of using a hybrid traditional/ray traced lighting model to try to optimize performance.

In fact, they just patched it recently to use Vulkan's ray tracing API, which improved performance. They also improved the upscaler. So you can set 60 fps as your target, and it will scale the resolution to hit it. Used to be I could always tell when it was upscaling and it was ugly as hell. Now I can barely notice.

Also has a bunch of high resolution texture packs. Some of the reflectivity in the new textures really makes some areas pop. I think the models are unchanged, as their low poly count is the only thing making full path tracing feasible. Although I could swear the rail gun is different.

It's also nice that you can use your original Quake 2 install media for it. When I built a buddy of mine a new computer last year with a 2070 Super, I just installed Quake 2 off my old cd from the 90's, made him a steam account, grabbed Quake II RTX for free, and he was good to go. Great showcase for his new rig, totally free thanks to the wonders of physical media.

Man it was nice when you could actually share games with friends.

For a lot of cases I see raytracing as a way to do 'pretty, but accurately, instead of just a bunch of tricks to make it look inaccurately pretty' and not a huge seller. However playing the Quake 2 RTX build on my 3080, I was admiring a computer console for the reflection, saw a Strog in the reflection and went 'Oh snap!' and turned around to shoot him. While that may seem insignificant to many compared to a raytraced sunset with light simmering off pools of water, seeing a reflection in an environment actually help me in gameplay was pretty darn cool.

Reply 85 of 109, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remaster, I am not so sure about. But I would love to see the source of One Must Fall 2097, finally be released. So people could finally make it truely multi platform , yes I am aware. If I recall correctly, that the language it was written in, was Turbo Pascal, and Rob Elam he felt the code was ugly (hence the reason he does not want to release the source). But seriously though, this game is one game I would love to see be open source, and so forth. Or some one decompiled the game, that would be splendid too . But I don't know . Perhaps Rob Elam, could release the source to a selected few who then rewrote the game into a modern language, like Open Tyrian.

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2021-01-13, 17:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 86 of 109, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

when games are given the HD treatment it generally does nothing for me, after the initial "that looks nice" the game is the same, and new graphical / sound aspects melt away quickly. If games are given new features like online vs play, compatibility with new controllers etc but withou otherwise changing the gameplay much then that's much more valuable

finally, any game that adds significant new gameplay is essentially a new game. I'd like a remade Deus Ex, I don't care about the graphics so much as the extending of the plot, the NPC's, the missions, adding sub missions, adding branching choices and so on - but that's actually another game, and one that's been done several times (in sequels and games like cyberpunk 2077 etc)

Reply 87 of 109, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

None to be honest, every HD/Remaster usually ends up being horrendously bad and to me nothing but a rape and quick cash grab.

What they could do is just re-release them but with the game working on modern Windows versions flawlessly, not changing anything about the game.

Reply 88 of 109, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently someone was asking something about a versus fighting fangame they could not remember, and I wanted to suggest looking for a MUGEN project, but could not immediately remember that MUGEN was called MUGEN (duh). So I searched for "Mortal Kombat remake" and found a couple of videos of what appears like a cancelled Mortal Kombat HD remaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrhpKRx_zlA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxIK19UIqt4

Apparently, this was a fan project, with all the art meticulously recreated from high-fidelity 3D models, which was first C&D'd by Warner Bros, then almost received official approval and was supported by Ed Boon himself, but after further development and refinement in hopes of making this an official game, WB told the authors to can the project for good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pXjrHlh_gA

If you look at all the material, I think it's amazing how much love and effort was put into this because anyone who ever played MK would immediately recognize how faithful the art is to the original game. And how far above the art quality is compared to some other lazy quick cash grab projects ("look at these beautiful HD sprites made with xBRZ!!!" etc.) that have popped around recently.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 89 of 109, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was thinking about this today. I want to see Moonstone remade. The original is a near perfect game, but the bugs need ironing out and the whole game can be 3D-fied while retainign the whole look and feel.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 90 of 109, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to see Zak McKracken remade.
Keep core story/concept, but improve the writing and gameplay.
The original was so ahead of its time.

Also I want to see Sam & Max: Hit the Road remade.
It doesn't need the Sam & Max characters. Make it have furries and involve going around different unique places. Also it should be less humorous.
And also they should improve the writing/story.

Reply 91 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hyperrmachine wrote on 2021-01-17, 04:08:
I want to see Zak McKracken remade. Keep core story/concept, but improve the writing and gameplay. The original was so ahead of […]
Show full quote

It doesn't need the Sam & Max characters. Make it have furries and involve going around different unique places. Also it should be less humorous.

So, technically... you want a reboot 😛

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 92 of 109, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stratosphere conquest of the skies
https://www.google.com/search?q=stratosphere+ … mobile&ie=UTF-8

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 93 of 109, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-01-17, 04:30:
hyperrmachine wrote on 2021-01-17, 04:08:
I want to see Zak McKracken remade. Keep core story/concept, but improve the writing and gameplay. The original was so ahead of […]
Show full quote

So, technically... you want a reboot 😛

Yeah. I couldn't think of a game I wanted remastered so I went with games that deserved remakes 😜

Reply 94 of 109, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

None. Everything what is remastered or modernized lost the magic of the originality

AMD K6-II 500, Nvidia TNT2 AGP, 256 MB RAM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•• WANTED: ROLAND SCP-55 ••
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Reply 95 of 109, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dank0 wrote on 2021-01-17, 09:04:

None. Everything what is remastered or modernized lost the magic of the originality

I could stand for stratosphere not to have the mouse dissapear or have it work on max settings like it used to on older hardware.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 96 of 109, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-17, 07:46:

Good call with Stratosphere I loved that game. I really should install it again and play through it soon.

Reply 97 of 109, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-17, 13:44:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-17, 07:46:

Good call with Stratosphere I loved that game. I really should install it again and play through it soon.

I made a facebook group for it. Check it out. Posted fun infos there

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 98 of 109, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Namrok wrote on 2021-01-07, 16:05:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-01-07, 14:30:

Quake 2 RTX is legit fantastic, if you have the hardware to run it. Crucially, none of the gameplay is changed.

i watched some gameplay, it looks great. I suppose its a good way to play old games on modern hardware while enjoying new features. I wonder however, once 10 mins in to the game and getting into the zone etc, whether the changes actually make the experience different significantly. imagine playing this version while another you plays the original all the way through, would there be any real difference in the enjoyment etc?

I still like it though

Reply 99 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don’t like ray tracing at all... if one of my fav games like Grand Prix Series were remastered using a such feature, I wouldn’t buy it simply because it would require newest hardware, instead of being remastered simply to run on Windows 10 or more platforms, independent of your hardware.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!