VOGONS

Common searches

IRC channel recommendations, and maybe a VOGONS IRC?

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well... There's still a need for a good IRC server. Freenode is not viable anymore either.

Back in my days I was in two brazilian IRC servers, the major ones (BrasNET and BrasIRC) and sometimes around freenode, DALnet, and some other I can't remember right now. But that was 15-20 years ago.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 121 of 136, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are plenty of viable irc servers out there....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 123 of 136, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

recently seen on facebook
irc.xtulator.com port 6667
irc server running on a turbo XT clone with an 8088 @ 10 MHz

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 124 of 136, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
DracoNihil wrote on 2021-05-27, 00:41:
You know, ever since this situation happened, there's a group of people going around other IRC networks, mass spamming advertise […]
Show full quote
Bruninho wrote on 2021-05-26, 17:41:
Just FYI: […]
Show full quote

Just FYI:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/05/ubuntu-ir … -to-libera-chat
https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/19/freeno … _staff_resigns/

If there is still any IRC channel over Freenode, it might be a sensible thing to move to Libera Chat servers.

You know, ever since this situation happened, there's a group of people going around other IRC networks, mass spamming advertisements "THIS CHANNEL HAS MOVED TO LIBERA" and saying very antisemitic and racist messages supposedly "endorsed" by Libera Chat operators.

I've had to disconnect from a few networks already because it got so bad that I was probably going to eventually get K-Lined by accident because of the huge amounts of IP ranges at play.

I don't even want to bother with Libera Chat after that... I'm only on a very few channels on Rizon and EsperNet that are marked +s so they don't appear in channel listings so I don't have to put up with that BS.

So you fell for the anti-advertisment by people that didn't want you to move to Libera. Well played by them it seems.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 125 of 136, by uridium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's been a fair whack of advertising on OzOrg.net also.. I dunno. Ultimately I don't think the entire situation benefited any of the communities which is sad I feel. I'm just glad there's still IRC out there in this age of stalkbook and whatsiegram.

Reply 126 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agreed. I am happy to still see IRC being used nowadays. I have been on libera.chat for a few days as well as some brazilian server like virtualife (current brasirc server, now that official brasirc and brasnet are defunct since like 15 years ago).

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 127 of 136, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An issue I see with irc is there are too many different networks. A lot of folks didn’t want to betray their network loyalty to another’s, so I suspect this was part of its fall. I’ve always been on Undernet and been that way since the 90’s.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 129 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Imagine how cool it would be if the retro communities / Discord emulators channels bridged to irc were on the same server?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 130 of 136, by mosaid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2022-09-09, 14:53:

Imagine how cool it would be if the retro communities / Discord emulators channels bridged to irc were on the same server?

Yeah, it will make it easier to reach them on our old machines.

Reply 131 of 136, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

are you guys in a IRC channel/server nowadays?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 132 of 136, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2023-11-08, 05:23:

I'm currently giving #vogons on EFNet a try. Mentioned earlier in this thread. But I have no idea if the current residents are related to this site or not.

Reply 133 of 136, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been using UNDERNET since '94. I cannot seem to break the habit/tradition even to this day. Its mostly an idlers home now, but we still chat from time to time.

There's no vintage computer channel that I'm on. There was one that got recommended to me on some unfamiliar server. I sat in there for a few months, but it became apparent that I didn't have time for this forum, my family live, and an active computer chat channel.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 134 of 136, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to join #dosbox on Libera.Chat: had nice conversations about retro stuff over there.

Reply 135 of 136, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2021-07-30, 12:19:

So you fell for the anti-advertisment by people that didn't want you to move to Libera. Well played by them it seems.

I didn't want to get in the middle of the massive amounts of drama going around.

But, now that everything seems to have died down several years later I'm all registered and cloaked on Libera Chat. If there's still a #dosbox channel or something going on there and people from here are in it, I'll join up there.

Recently EsperNet ran into some crisis with server records that the #modarchive channel ended up migrating to Libera Chat for the interim, no idea if it'll stick though. I'll still be around the Libera Chat network because my distro's IRC channel is located there among a bunch of other open source projects in general.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 136 of 136, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

#dosbox is still around 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper