VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so im hoping some of you have experience with DooM 3 quake 4 and prey on newer nvidia graphic cards.

Here is a copy and paste from pcgamingwiki about this issue.

"Poor performance/"slow-motion" effect on Nvidia cards
Doom 3 and other id Tech 4 games seem to suffer from some sort of driver-related issue on modern Nvidia GPU's that causes the game to go into what appears to be a "slow-motion" phrase during some intensive scenes, where the framerate technically remains the same but game logic is slowed down and negatively effects performance."

Note it does not tell you what new gpu or driver does this.

I got a gtx960 (347.22)for my overkill xp build and it has this issue.
Most noticible when turning up the ingame AA to x16.

On pcgw it says this happens on newer nvidia gpus and newer drivers.

My question is what gpu can i use that is new enough to run these id tech 4 games at 1080p with loads of AA without this slowmotion issue?

Will a gtx780 work? Or is it to new?

Anyone who would be willing to test out either Doom quake 4 or prey and tell me if it runs smooth on an 780/680/580 with loads of AA at high resolution?

Report back with specs and driver version.

I would be very grateful for any information regarding this.

Best regards!

Reply 1 of 11, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried running Doom 3 over some of the source ports people have made with the GPL released source code? I don't think there are anything for Quake 4, but there's several for Doom 3 including ones specifically targeting the BFG Edition release. (Which has incompatible base files with the original Doom 3 and mods)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 11, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I forgot to mention that the source ports do not solve this issue.

Atleast not one of the ports.

Quite Strange.

Still Im really only intrested in playing them in their original state.

Last edited by Unrealdevon on 2020-04-04, 14:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-04-04, 01:02:

You've provided no information on when this slowdown is supposed to be happening.

Also if you think it's driver related, just start testing different driver versions?

Oh Ofcourse.. Sorry!

It occurs when there are more than two enemies on screen at once.
Sometimes it happen with only two.

Aslong as the ingame AA is cranked up it Will happen all the time when the action starts.
It can also happen in some rooms aswell with more complex geometry.

It is present almost all the time throughout the game.
It is impossible to not notice this when it occurs... All you gotta do is to start the game and play for a few minutes to know if your gpu has this issue.

When it comes to drivers for the gtx960 i have tried all versions from nvidia and an even earlier modded version aswell.

The gtx960 is clearly to modern and the drivers too.

I know i Will need something earlier.

Would be Nice to not have to buy every high end gpu from 480to to 780ti to find out wich one works.

Reply 5 of 11, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have a high-end card, just a GTX 750 Ti, currently using driver version 430.86 on Windows 10. Only FPS takes a hit at 16x AA, nothing goes out of sync.

I personally don't see the reason to use AA in this game as I find it looks pretty sharp without it. For certain other games, when it comes to old school MSAA, if I use it, I set it at 4x max, anything higher is an overkill IMHO.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 6 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, did some basic testing and there's no issue with newer Nvidia cards (I have a GTX 1070) or drivers (I have the latest driver).

What I suspect is happening however, is that you've enabled fixedTic and you're running too high graphic settings (not reaching 60 FPS, or the FPS limit you set). That will lead to slowdown. Disable fixedTic or lower your graphic settings.

Your GPU is clearly not adequate to run Quake 4 at 1080p with 16x MSAA. MSAA is really resource intensive. My 1070 sometimes drop below 60 FPS with those settings. Personally I just use FXAA (since I run 2160p@120hz), but for a 1080p monitor I would stick with UCyborg's recommendation: for the purposes of eliminating jaggies at least, MSAA levels over 4X aren't worth it.

Reply 7 of 11, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for testning 😀

I had DooM 3 running on a gtx280 with 4x i game msaa with none of the slowmotion slowdown.

However doing the same on the 960 i get slowdown but as I stated before it is not your normal framerate slowdown as it just makes the game run in a Strange slowmotion speed wich seems to be tied to the games logic.

I capped the game at 60 and used the fixedtic 1 command to get rid of the awful stutter the game is has due to the strange 63hz the game normalt runs at.

Reply 8 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unrealdevon wrote on 2020-04-09, 10:50:

Thanks for testning 😀

I had DooM 3 running on a gtx280 with 4x i game msaa with none of the slowmotion slowdown.

There's a massive difference between 4X and 16X even if you were running the same resolution, and considering the GTX 280 was a 2008 card I suspect that might not have been the case.

At any rate, driver performance might have got worse over time, but 16X MSAA is still unnecessary and it's unlikely anyone's going to waste time figuring out why it's giving you performance problems.

Unrealdevon wrote on 2020-04-09, 10:50:

However doing the same on the 960 i get slowdown but as I stated before it is not your normal framerate slowdown as it just makes the game run in a Strange slowmotion speed wich seems to be tied to the games logic.

I capped the game at 60 and used the fixedtic 1 command to get rid of the awful stutter the game is has due to the strange 63hz the game normalt runs at.

The slowdown is because you're using fixedtic. You probably weren't when you had a GTX 280.

Reply 10 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unrealdevon wrote on 2020-04-09, 18:33:

Ok

Is there any way to get rid of the frameskip/stutter, what ever it is without using fixedtic 1?

For Doom 3 or Prey? You could try setting a custom resolution with a 62.5hz refresh rate, some LCDs might accept it, but most likely you'll need a CRT or a VRR LCD.

For Quake 4? Use Quake4Tweaker.

Why don't you want to use fixedtic 1 though? As I said, it runs fine if you run at appropriate quality settings for your GPU. If you don't, well you get framerate stutters or slowdown. There's no magic way to gain more performance.