VOGONS

Common searches

What sound card do you use on your modern PC ?

Topic actions

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am still using the Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs
But I want to try the latest sound blaster some day.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 106, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was using an Asus Xonar D2 in my last PC, but ever since that died (the sound card, not the PC) I've been using onboard sound again, current one is a Realtek ALC1220, not that it matters though 99% of my listening on my modern PC goes through spdif to my receiver anyways nowadays.

Reply 2 of 106, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a Chinese knock off that happens to by some sheer chance, use a actual legit CMI8738 chip on it.

The bridge chip used doesn't interfere with the OPL registers either.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 106, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe.

Mostly because it has optical in/out, but it also seems to provide slightly clearer playback than my on-board audio.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 106, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fiio E10K Olympus on i9 machine
Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium in a PCI Express slot using a PLX PCI Express - PCI bridge adapter board on old Xeon X5675 machine

I have a spare X-Fi Titanium I would prefer to use in the i9, but I would need another PCI bridge adapter with a PLX chip . I do not trust Asmedia ASM1083 based PCI PCI Express boards because you never know if you are going to get an an older, buggy chip rev .

EDIT : corrected typos

Reply 5 of 106, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-04-13, 17:23:

I use a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe.

Mostly because it has optical in/out, but it also seems to provide slightly clearer playback than my on-board audio.

I use the optical out to my A/V receiver too. I use to watch live concerts from my PC to TV.
But now there is internet channels on my smart TV.

Reply 6 of 106, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound … usic-premium-hd
Sound Blaster X-Fi HD.

+ Headphone out and software volume knob I can place next to me.
+ SPDIF input.
+ Flawless sound quality to my ears (not an audiophile though).
- No 44khz support.
- Volume knob is finicky when doing large adjustments quickly.
- No support for any 5.1 virtualization for headphones (X-Fi MB3 works but not included).
- Drivers on Windows Update are bad (manufacturer drivers are good).
- Volume control scaling is bad (fixable with a script of course).

Reply 9 of 106, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Schiit Modi USB DAC. I'm a big fan of USB DACs. When I first built this machine I couldn't use my X-fi anymore (no PCI slots) and even though you always read about onboard audio being "good enough" now, it was horribly noisy. A USB DAC fixes that and what I especially like is that it doesn't need any drivers, freeing me from Realtek crap or huge suites from Creative.

Reply 11 of 106, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just like Joseph_Joestar, I'm also using Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe. Not only is one of the last Creative cards to have optical input, it's still supported under Windows 10, but it's also the last Sound Blaster which supports soundfonts.

http://www.bredel.homepage.t-online.de/Soundf … ts-english.html

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 12 of 106, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VIA VT1708B

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 14 of 106, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-04-13, 16:24:

I am still using the Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs
But I want to try the latest sound blaster some day.

I also use my Audigy 2 ZS - again. My computer is not the newest (AMD FX cpu), the board has still 2 pci-slots
I removed the card several years ago, when I switched to Windows 10.

But some months ago, I read somewhere, that it still works without any problem in Windows 10 (with official creative drivers), you just have to take the driver from another - newer sound card (forgot which one)
So I put it back in, and it works. It's better than the onboard sound in my opinion

Reply 18 of 106, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-04-14, 20:52:

curious for what reasons people use sound cards for digital output, the only reason I got the Xonar D2 was because my onboard sound back then did not support DTS connect.

Exactly, good question. My guess is that most people don't know that when you only use the digital out, except from some very few exceptions, it doesn't matter if you use the output of the onboard chip or that of a much more expensive card.
So that I'm not completely off topic, I use a Pro-Ject DAC because I needed a direct analog connection to a nice pair of studio monitors that lack digital input.