VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 500 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-11-16, 02:57:

Wow! that's an independant computer test site. What about multi-core performance?

Initial benchmarks for the ‌MacBook Air‌ running M1 natively featured a single-core score of 1,687 and multi-core score of 7,433.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 501 of 547, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-16, 05:32:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-11-16, 02:57:

Wow! that's an independant computer test site. What about multi-core performance?

Initial benchmarks for the ‌MacBook Air‌ running M1 natively featured a single-core score of 1,687 and multi-core score of 7,433.

How many cores?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 502 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-11-16, 05:39:

How many cores?

8 cores. Enough for me.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 504 of 547, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unified_Memory_Architecture.png
Filename
Unified_Memory_Architecture.png
File size
73.87 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

source : Apple Event — November 10

m1-mac-mini-teardown-2.jpg
Filename
m1-mac-mini-teardown-2.jpg
File size
272.86 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

source : Mac Mini Teardown Provides Real-World Look at M1 Chip on Smaller Logic Board

At this point, I think Intel & AMD might be very tempted to start offering CPU + GPU + MEM set to the consumer PC market. They could initiate such trend from entry level products and gradually dial up the notch to, I dunno, somewhere die-hard DIY-gores refuse to take? If you're skeptical, just look up when floppy drives started vanishing from PC.

Abhorrence.

Reply 505 of 547, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure if such a discussion would go over well on these forums. The apple mentality is to throw away and it's only gotten worse. As long as there are options (throw away hardware and upgradeable) then it's all good.

Apple was first to get rid of the floppy drive in 1998 but floppies are still used today, it's good to have options.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 506 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven’t needed a floppy disk since 20 years ago. Last time I took them was for a photo on instagram months ago to show a Windows 3.1 install on VMware Fusion. All my old floppy disks are in a big box full of dust.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 507 of 547, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2020-11-19, 15:44:

Apple was first to get rid of the floppy drive in 1998 but floppies are still used today, it's good to have options.

Good to have options for sure, but when designing integrated systems at some point you get into tradeoffs where compatibility with legacy features is holding you back. There are no floppy controllers in most computers nowadays, and there haven't been for quite some time. However external devices may be an option. Apple will sometimes go out of their way to make sure that only their peripherals work with their devices, but I don't believe it applies to USB floppy drives.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 509 of 547, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-19, 17:41:

I haven’t inf enBeeded a floppy disk since 20 years ago. Last time I took them was for a photo on instagram months ago to show a Windows 3.1 install on VMware Fusion. All my old floppy disks are in a big box full of dust.

Being someone who works on and collect various types of old hardware I find floppy drives very handy sometimes. PC 3.5" FDDs have a flap to keep the majority of the dust out. You are obviously storing your floppy disks lncorrectly in a dusty area.I've left flppies out for over six months an they are not too bad at all. Just a quick wipe and they are good to go.. The rest are in some sort of plastic container with a lid on. Same with the spare FDDs I have.

Attachments

• IMAG0010.JPG
    Filename
    IMAG0010.JPG
    File size
    394.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMAG0026.JPG
    Filename
    IMAG0026.JPG
    File size
    315.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMAG0027.JPG
    Filename
    IMAG0027.JPG
    File size
    278.51 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 511 of 547, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote on 2020-11-19, 18:58:

USB Floppy drives are not something I'd recommend 😉

The one I have works just fine.

Attachments

• IMAG0028.JPG
    Filename
    IMAG0028.JPG
    File size
    226.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2020-11-19, 19:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 513 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I tried two and they were so bad that I bought a kryoflux 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 515 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

well, you attach the floppy drive to the kryoflux and the kryoflux via USB to the computer, so it is already some kind of floppy drive 😀
Looking at it like this I have a dual floppy drive for 3.5" and 5.25" floppies 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 516 of 547, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if such a discussion would go over well on these forums. The apple mentality is to throw away and it's only gotten worse. As long as there are options (throw away hardware and upgradeable) then it's all good.

I still think its funny that they got rid of floppies, but kept Zip drives around for a few years. My G3's Zip drive is still yet to be tested.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 517 of 547, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BetaC wrote on 2020-11-19, 20:19:

I still think its funny that they got rid of floppies, but kept Zip drives around for a few years. My G3's Zip drive is still yet to be tested.

A LS120 drive would have been better or an option to have one installed.. 1.44meg compatility. But that makes perfect sence. G0 Apple!!