VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 481 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2020-11-11, 16:53:

Looks like your laptop has an issue (needs cleaning, paste reapplied?) or mabye that's normal for Apple laptops.

Nope. All clean and working as it should be.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 482 of 547, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-11, 16:25:

IE11? Really? You're sure you're not just trolling now? Come on. I could trust you if you were saying MS Edge on Windows 10.

I kid you not. I happened to be on my Win7 laptop when I was replying, and Slimjet was already open. So the only browser I could do a 'first launch' test was IE11. 🤣

Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-11, 16:25:

Safari on iOS loads up instantly. On all intel Macs I've used for work, all the browsers I have installed here for web dev purposes (Safari, Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera) take seconds to load up for the first time opened.

It's not apples-to-apples (unintended pun) if you are comparing iOS to MacOS.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 483 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-11-11, 17:15:

I've also changed the screen on my L390 yoga, because I ran into a rainstorm one day and soaked it. It was done in 5 minutes and works absolutely perfect. That's an experience I will never have with an Apple product, because they're strict opponents of right to repair.

Lmao. It required 6 hours and three people to change the screen of that stupid Lenovo Yoga 500. I wanted to throw it out of the window after 30 minutes attempting to change it for the second time in 3 years.

I replaced and upgraded parts of Apple laptops the last ten years, with no problem and last thing I did this year was replace both speakers in less than 10 minutes. Easy peasy. Ssd, ram, speakers, keyboard.

Lenovo can burn in hell. Their screen replacements never click in. Dell is better, but outrageously expensive.

btw I’m against right to repair. I paid for it, they have to repair, not me. Theres Apple Care, and a 1 year warranty.

And don’t get me started on it - I have been messing with PC hardware since I was a kid almost 30 years ago and I was always irritated by how expensive these parts are and how stupid it is to get them to work as they should. With Apple it “just works” so I don’t waste my time customizing or upgrading a machine, I just open the box, fire it up and <sarcasm>tadaaaa!</sarcasm> its working. That’s all I need right now, no more headaches with hardware and its stupid prices.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 484 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-11-11, 17:55:

It's not apples-to-apples (unintended pun) if you are comparing iOS to MacOS.

Starting with Big Sur and M1, I can now compare because both can now run iOS apps.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 485 of 547, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-11, 18:06:

Lmao. It required 6 hours and three people to change the screen of that stupid Lenovo Yoga 500.

Then you're doing it wrong. Or to say it in Apple's words: "You're holding it wrong!".

How do you even do this with three people? Do they gather around in a magic circle, hoping it will unscrew itself from the frame? 😂

I replaced and upgraded parts of Apple laptops the last ten years, with no problem and last thing I did this year was replace both speakers in less than 10 minutes. Easy peasy. Ssd, ram, speakers, keyboard.

In what kind of world can you replace the SSD on a modern Macbook? Everything is soldered in.

And no, 2013 is not modern. So go on, tell me how easy it is to replace parts on Macbooks, especially the ones that have the security chip on board.

btw I’m against right to repair. I paid for it, they have to repair, not me. Theres Apple Care, and a 1 year warranty.

Right to repair is more than just about "who is allowed to repair it". It's to take a stand for the environment by allowing customers to keep using their devices instead of throwing them into landfills. Apple has all of this marketing speech about how green and environment friendly they are and "that's why we don't include chargers anymore", and yet they mostly just replace their machines instead of repairing them and even sue companies that try to gather replacement parts from China to even have a chance.

But I didn't expect you to care about all of these issues. You've clearly bought into the cult and how dare anybody says anything against this magic company.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 486 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-11-11, 18:22:

Then you're doing it wrong. Or to say it in Apple's words: "You're holding it wrong!".

How do you even do this with three people? Do they gather around in a magic circle, hoping it will unscrew itself from the frame? 😂

There's no wrong, it's just Lenovo being a super bad laptop. I've replaced parts of other brands laptops before like HP and Dell, but Lenovo is simply garbage. Never again. It didn't even have a dual band wifi/bt, so she needed a wifi dongle to connect to our 5GHz wifi network. When we opened it to change the screen, I used the opportunity to install a new wifi/bt module with dual band support from my old (don't worry, now shut down and thrown away) hackintosh parts. Now she can connect to our 5GHz wifi network without the USB dongle.

I've opened more iMacs and Macs than I can remember to upgrade or fix parts. There is nothing that I cannot fix. But I'd rather sell it for other to fix and buy a new one. Saves me time and headaches. At this age, I don't want to bother fixing computers again, I just want what "just works" out of the box.

In what kind of world can you replace the SSD on a modern Macbook? Everything is soldered in.

And no, 2013 is not modern. So go on, tell me how easy it is to replace parts on Macbooks, especially the ones that have the security chip on board.

2013 is modern to me when it can still run Big Sur without problems. Oh, we also have a 2018 "15 rMBP running well and no need to replace anything too. I like the soldered ones because they seem to be less prone to failures, I am yet to see a mac with soldered parts to fail on me. Before the COVID-19, I was working on my works 2015 15" rMBP at our office and it never failed on me. But all MacBooks suffer from the same thing and its Intel to blame for: fan noises and high temperatures. I had the same issue with a Dell G5 laptop too. Bulky, noisy and heavy. Sold it with just four months of usage.

Right to repair is more than just about "who is allowed to repair it". It's to take a stand for the environment by allowing customers to keep using their devices instead of throwing them into landfills. Apple has all of this marketing speech about how green and environment friendly they are and "that's why we don't include chargers anymore", and yet they mostly just replace their machines instead of repairing them and even sue companies that try to gather replacement parts from China to even have a chance.

But I didn't expect you to care about all of these issues. You've clearly bought into the cult and how dare anybody says anything against this magic company.

I'm yet to see a Mac fail on me and stop working. If yours do, then the problem is between the chair and the keyboard. I take a very excellent and good care of all the Macs I use and resell. Everyone that bought my previous Mac or iPhone never complained back to me, they just come back to say "it's incredible how you did its maintenance it so well!". Yet, I might be contradictory, being a guy that repair the own Macs so well and also against "right to repair", but I prefer not to waste my time repairing them and letting Apple do it with all the headache included. It's worth the money for me to keep my head sane.

Actually, they do repair them and sell them as refurbished. Oh wait, instead of getting a brand new mac, you prefer to get yours back as refurbished too? *facepalm*

EDIT: And don't get me wrong, yes I love Apple, but unlike many fanboys, I can complain about them as well as say good things about them. At first I complained about the switch to AS instead of AMD but I understood where they wanted to go after reading a bit more into their decision. I'm not a fan of Intel, AMD and neither NVIDIA. I also like Microsoft but not their modern Windows incarnations, it stops on Windows XP for me. Like I do with Apple, I can love and hate Microsoft as well. What I don't like about Apple? Many things. For a start, the butterfly keyboards used on 2018 rMBP. But that is another subject. Still, they do have the best environment I have ever used in my life.

I'm done here. I won't be again discussing how crap Intel is and how big of a headache it is to keep upgrading and replacing PC parts every year just to "keep up with games badly designed by current generation of crap developers". The next time I post here I will just discuss about how insanely good the M1 and new Macs are, instead of the truth about how crap Intel is.

And back on topic, I can't wait for the Big Sur release tomorrow. New UI, so refreshing, clean and beautiful. I might finally stop using dark mode.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 487 of 547, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-11, 18:53:

I've replaced parts of other brands laptops before like HP and Dell, but Lenovo is simply garbage.

Maybe the series you've used is somewhat hard to repair. Discarding a whole manufacturer because of this seems silly, though. I'm sure HP and Dell also have models with different pricepoints and build quality. And I still fail to see how you need three people for one screen replacement.

My L390 Yoga is from the ThinkPad series and these are generally very well made - screen replacement took 3 screws. Slide it out, slide the new one it, connect the connector and boom, you're done.
You can say what you want, Apple makes this much harder and they included EDID shenanigans so your shiny replacement screen might stop working with an update of the operating system. That's bad design by choice.

2013 is modern to me when it can still run Big Sur without problems.

That's good for you, but you've entirely omitted my point. Which is, that you can't replace the SSD on a modern MacBook. So it's simply misleading or outright lying if you tell me you've done so easily.

I'm yet to see a Mac fail on me and stop working. If yours do, then the problem is between the chair and the keyboard.

Are you sure about that?
- It's not my fault if the screen cable of my MacBook is too short and it rips apart.
- It's also not my fault if the screen connector has been manufactured in a way where it sends 52 volts to the CPU instead of the backlight.
- It's also not my fault if the fan of the Macbook Air is not connected to the heatsink.
Just blame Intel for the last one! 😁

Oh wait, instead of getting a brand new mac, you prefer to get yours back as refurbished too? *facepalm*

"Just get a new one! New one is always better."

What a shortsighted argument. But actually, yes. When I have a broken device and I get it back repaired (or repaired it myself), I do feel better, knowing that I didn't contribute to the pollution of this planet. Every device that needs to be manufactured to replace an old one wastes resources and I would rather prefer to not contribute to that, if I don't have to.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 488 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, I'm not a troll. Maybe you are the real troll here, dr_st. I might just report you for your continuously insulting me.

While we're on the subject, the new M1 Macs are reported as not supporting eGPUs. Don't need them, the new integrated GPUs are powerful enough for any task. Good riddance to NVIDIA and AMD.

The GPU is an octa-core design too, totaling 128 execution units. This is the fastest integrated GPU, says Apple, rated at 2.6 TFLOPS – that’s faster than an Nvidia 1050 Ti, which only offers 2.1 TFLOPS (note: we’re assuming Apple gave an FP32 number here – FP16 isn’t suitable for computers).

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 489 of 547, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-11, 19:52:

Again, I'm not a troll. Maybe you are the real troll here, dr_st. I might just report you for your continuously insulting me.

While we're on the subject, the new M1 Macs are reported as not supporting eGPUs. Don't need them, the new integrated GPUs are powerful enough for any task. Good riddance to NVIDIA and AMD.

The GPU is an octa-core design too, totaling 128 execution units. This is the fastest integrated GPU, says Apple, rated at 2.6 TFLOPS – that’s faster than an Nvidia 1050 Ti, which only offers 2.1 TFLOPS (note: we’re assuming Apple gave an FP32 number here – FP16 isn’t suitable for computers).

I would hold off on saying that until they are given non-accelerated workloads. A 1050Ti isn't all that impressive.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 490 of 547, by Crosma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2020-11-11, 00:13:

16GB maximum RAM for a Macbook is just ridiculous. Open Chrome and start one VM and this thing is filled up.

What is this - 2010?

Ironically, back in 2010 I had someone trying to convince me that 64GB was the bare minimum for a computer. He was deadly serious. I doubt he ever used more than about 4GB of RAM.

But honestly, I run multiple VMs, IDEs, browsers, other RAM-expensive applications and I can't max out 16GB. If you allocate anything more than 4GB to a VM then you're probably using it wrong. Every OS ever fits fine into way less than 4GB, with multiple applications running inside the VM.

If you're running Photoshop, Illustrator and Final Cut Pro, all with complex projects, you're still not going to break 16GB.

Reply 491 of 547, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Crosma wrote on 2020-11-13, 06:13:
Ironically, back in 2010 I had someone trying to convince me that 64GB was the bare minimum for a computer. He was deadly seriou […]
Show full quote
schmatzler wrote on 2020-11-11, 00:13:

16GB maximum RAM for a Macbook is just ridiculous. Open Chrome and start one VM and this thing is filled up.

What is this - 2010?

Ironically, back in 2010 I had someone trying to convince me that 64GB was the bare minimum for a computer. He was deadly serious. I doubt he ever used more than about 4GB of RAM.

But honestly, I run multiple VMs, IDEs, browsers, other RAM-expensive applications and I can't max out 16GB. If you allocate anything more than 4GB to a VM then you're probably using it wrong. Every OS ever fits fine into way less than 4GB, with multiple applications running inside the VM.

If you're running Photoshop, Illustrator and Final Cut Pro, all with complex projects, you're still not going to break 16GB.

The vSphere server I use at work has 24GB or RAM allocated to it and it usually is hovering at about 16-18GB of usage when I have looked at it.

SQL servers also use a lot of RAM depending on how big the DBs are.

I don't build any VMs anymore with less than 8GB of RAM because for 1, when installing updates, the RAM gets maxed out with 4GB and generally just about fills 8GB when the updates are being installed.

One of the Windows 10 VMs I have set up has 16GB RAM allocated to it because what I built it for easily uses more than 8GB of RAM.

Only 4GB of RAM on ANY current Windows Server unless you are maybe using the craptastic "essentials" that has no GUI is just asking for trouble. I've had to increase to a minimum of 6GB to keep stuff running smoothly... and that is on servers that aren't even doing that much.

Oh yeah.. here I am on this computer writing this reply and Windows is using up 10.7GB of RAM. Granted, I do have a ton of crap that is loading up on boot that doesn't really need to but, hey, I've got 32GB installed on this machine so I'm not too worried about it though I will probably look into some of it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 492 of 547, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-11, 19:52:

Well a lot of your post are just plain stupid. As bad as that 486DX33 guy. I've watch a few Apple repair videos and what a fk'n effort folk have to go though. This HP 3GHz Pentium 4 is still rocking nicely. I use it daily and can replace all the major components easy as. Got a 19" monitor for it two weeks ago to replace the 4:3 onefor the princely sum of $nz10. I was detected strait away by LMDE 4.

How long did it take Apple to finally get rid of those silly butterfly key switches? 5 years or so and deny there was anything wrong with them initially. Stuffing their loyal customers around in the meantime.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2020-11-13, 12:36. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 493 of 547, by Crosma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-13, 07:29:

SQL servers also use a lot of RAM depending on how big the DBs are.

Not really. Most database engines use as much RAM as you allocate for them. In a development environment allocating more than a 1GB or so (or even that much) is probably overkill that you're not benefiting from. If you have the RAM to spare then bully for you.

Only 4GB of RAM on ANY current Windows Server unless you are maybe using the craptastic "essentials" that has no GUI is just asking for trouble. I've had to increase to a minimum of 6GB to keep stuff running smoothly... and that is on servers that aren't even doing that much.

Why not just boot to Windows Server then? Your machine sounds like it's configured in the least efficient way possible.

Oh yeah.. here I am on this computer writing this reply and Windows is using up 10.7GB of RAM. Granted, I do have a ton of crap that is loading up on boot that doesn't really need to but, hey, I've got 32GB installed on this machine so I'm not too worried about it though I will probably look into some of it.

My Mac which boots with tonnes of stuff running uses about 2GB of RAM. So what on Earth is going on here? Are you including the disk cache?

Reply 494 of 547, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2013 is modern to me when it can still run Big Sur without problems. Oh, we also have a 2018 "15 rMBP running well and no need to replace anything

I'm yet to see a Mac fail on me and stop working.

That's funny. I destently remembering quite a while ago one of your Macs had some issues. Keys not working and ports not working or something similar. You stated you wou;dn't fix the issues as you could live with those not functioning.

Reply 495 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Seriously people, stop calling each other trolls. This is not the way!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 496 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-11-13, 13:02:

2013 is modern to me when it can still run Big Sur without problems. Oh, we also have a 2018 "15 rMBP running well and no need to replace anything

I'm yet to see a Mac fail on me and stop working.

That's funny. I destently remembering quite a while ago one of your Macs had some issues. Keys not working and ports not working or something similar. You stated you wou;dn't fix the issues as you could live with those not functioning.

I’ve got it second hand, I said it very clear, obviously the previous user broke the keyboard, I never said anything about the ports. Unfortunately some mac users are a shame when they don’t take care of their macs like I do. Since I’ve got this mac I took very good care of it, and it never failed on me once. Tonight I will update it to Big Sur.

All the brand new macs I’ve used never had a single issue, never. This was the first second hand mac I’ve ever bought and I would fix it and keep it for more years, if I weren’t going after the new AS macs. It was a good deal and I needed to go back to a mac asap for work, after I sold the terrible Dell G5, I regret massively selling my 2014 MBAir “11 and buying that Dell.

The 2013 model does NOT have the butterfly keyboard, it uses the scissor keyboard. only the F1 to F9 keys aren’t working, I suspect the previous user spilled something over it, but apart from that, this mac is working perfectly. I could replace the keyboard, it’s not hard to do, but with the new M1 Macs in the future I won’t waste my time in an intel Mac now.

So I stand on my point, any mac I have ever used never failed on me. Not even the very old macs my workplace has for the last 5 years I’ve worked there so far. Since I was hired, I’ve extended the life of these macs for a very good time and my work mates are satisfied with them.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 497 of 547, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe I never mentioned ANYTHING about your 2013 Mac having butterfly keyswitches. I'm well aware when they were introduced. Also how do you know that keyswitch failure is the fault of the previous owner and not a compnent failure?

Reply 498 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/15/m1-chip- … -x86-benchmark/

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 499 of 547, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow! that's an independant computer test site. What about multi-core performance?