Your oldest favorite computer game?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 63, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tyrian (1995) for me.

I've played plenty of games older than that, but I can't honestly say they are still my favorites. Tyrian on the other hand, still plays as smoothly as ever, and I still enjoy it every time I fire it up.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 41 of 63, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-24, 17:21:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-21, 23:25:

Apes, Quick Basic computer game.

You ever tried backing up the game and then editing the code for a bit of fun?

Was either that or leaning to touch type in class.
Still cant touch type, no idea how to code so that was time well spent!

Love Street Rod but could never finish the road track in Street Rod 2 so gave up. Shame as aqueduct was nice addition

Reply 43 of 63, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Multiplayer: Scorched earth from 1991. We played with it all the time with my friends.
Single player: Street rod 1989, no explanation needed.

Reply 45 of 63, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hezus wrote on 2020-06-25, 16:16:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jK9kfhOJ9uA/maxresdefault.jpg […]
Show full quote

maxresdefault.jpg

Alley Cat - 1984

A great one! Played it a lot with my mother when I was a little kid. I think I had a 386 or a 286 PC... I can only remember it had a CCE enclosure, a brazilian maker I believe. CCE disappeared from the Earth decades ago.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 47 of 63, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

+1 for stunts - i was playing this in 1999 on my hand-me-down celeron, bringing floppy disks of tracks to school to swap with friends. so many good memories and laughs with this game 😀

the oldest game i'm FANATICAL about? Xcom/ufo defense. playing the demo blew me away in 94, getting it as the most random birthday gift in '96 was a thriller (didnt ask for it nor expected it) and i'm still playing it today. and it's literally the reason i bothered getting parts to build a dos pc 1.5 years back. dosbox music doesn't do that game justice 😀 whats crazy is that i dont think any of the kids at my school heard of it. if only they knew!

but i get it - it was the era of red alert, duke 3d and quake.

Reply 48 of 63, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The earliest game I really "got into" and played over and over was Cosmic Crusaders (1982, although I probably encountered it '87-ish). Most because it was the first one on our family PC (XT clone) which actually *felt* like a real arcade game and did everything right - a lot of early IBM PC stuff was clunky in comparison, and most of it doesn't hold up that well, like others have said. Things like this aren't easy to pull off on a machine with zero hardware assistance (unlike the C64/Ataris/etc), but this game comes from Michael Abrash, so it shouldn't be a big surprise really.

I've mentioned this before, but it's funny how the "feel" for games like this stays with you over the years. I can still fire it up and easily get in the zone... as evidenced by the pile of extra lives on the right. 😉

_cosmic_crusaders_.jpg
Filename
_cosmic_crusaders_.jpg
File size
399 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As for more serious and elaborate games... Star Control II was the first that really took the "favorite" crown and held on to it. No justification necessary.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 49 of 63, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The picture isn't mine, but this was indeed my favorite game when I was in elementary school.

maxresdefault.jpg
Filename
maxresdefault.jpg
File size
74.49 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 50 of 63, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-06-24, 22:10:

Love Street Rod but could never finish the road track in Street Rod 2

Yeah, me neither: I've finished the first one multiple times, but the Mulholland Drive race in 2 is a vicious b**ch!

Btw, according to a youtube comment I've read recently, turns out you can shuffle the placement of the car-crashing rocks on that road if you start a new game a couple of times and check out the MD race to see if it's doable.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 51 of 63, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Several that come to mind from my childhood and young adulthood:

Intellivision -
Football, Baseball, Basketball, Shark! Shark!

Colecovision -
Ladybug, Mr. Do!

Atari 8bit -
Necromancer, Boulderdash, Drol, Jumpman, Lode Runner, Ball Blazer, Blue Max

Apple II -
Ringside Seat, Wizardry I, Ultima 2-4, Temple of Apshai, Karateka, Bruce Lee, Choplifter, Aztec, Dino Eggs

Commodore 64 -
Summer Games

PC -
Wing Commander I, Ultima VII: The Black Gate

I had a 7 year older brother who bought nearly every home computer/gaming system that came out in the 1980s, so I was exposed to a lot of games even if I couldn't play them that often. He was big into Atari 8/16 bit and Amiga while I was in high school. I had a buddy in 7th grade with a C64 and I LOVED Summer Games on that platform. It's the main game I remember enjoying when I'd go to his house.

I didn't get my first PC til my final year at university in 1991, so the two Origin games I listed were the first two I ever played on the platform.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 52 of 63, by spieler8

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Zak McKracken.

Played it with friends together; it took us probably 2 month each day after school to finally sovle. Felt like an incredible achievement. Was also the first game I ever bought as an original; quite af hefty price for a student back then, but well worth the money.

Centurion: Dender of Rome and Mad TV are close second, but they came out after ZakMcKracken (even though I got ahold of them around the same time).

Reply 53 of 63, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
1541 wrote on 2020-05-31, 12:12:

"Wizard of Wor" on the C64, as its 2 player mode still triggers nostalgic memories....

^ Yes, this...
WoW was released 1982, but it took a few years before I got a chance to try it. The 2 player mode was really the "killer feature" 😁
Another favorite at the time was Archon, that is almost as old (released in 1983) and also has the 2 player mode.

Reply 55 of 63, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Contra, Alleycat

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 57 of 63, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Either Red Alert from when I played it as a child or Doom 1 from when I played it for the first time last year (or the year before)!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 58 of 63, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My favourite oldest video game is the classic arcade game Md Do!, from 1980. Still my favourite arcade game.

mrdo.png

For some reason, Mr Do! was one of the few arcade games that never received a decent port (official or ripoff) on the ZX Spectrum. But thankfully a great (and free!) Spectrum port was made by two loyal Spectrum fans (Adrian Singh & Mark R. Jones), and I really wish it had been released commercially back in the day, as I would have loved to have been able to play it back then.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-17-at-10.18.52.jpg

(By the way; Is there a way to reduce the size of the images in the post's text, such as [img width =200] ?)

But if you mean favourite computer (i.e. on a real computer) game, then I'd probably have to say Skooldaze, the absolute classic from 1984:

157351-skool-daze-zx-spectrum-screenshot-eric-should-go-to-the-map.png

Still a superb game, to this day.

The oldest PC game I still play is the original Doom, from 1993.

doom05.png

Though of course I play Doom 1 and 2 using a Windows souce port (GZDoom) nowadays.

Zup wrote on 2020-05-31, 11:01:

That was the first video game I ever bought. By the legendary Ultimate: Play The Game. At the time it was amazing, it was almost better than (the then) arcade quality, but on your own ZX Spectrum and TV, in your own home!