VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does such a thing exist? The joystick I use (Logitech Xtreme 3D-Pro) is right-handed only.

I basically want a robust joystick that atleast has POV hat switch, and rudder/twist control. And the joystick itself should be fully ambidextrous where it doesn't matter if you hold it in the left or right hand.

I primarily want this so I can better play Gunmetal, but I also would like such a joystick so I can better control Urban Assault, with joystick control on the left hand and mouse micromanagment on the right. (I am primarily right handed, but I can handle a setup like this)

I tried searching around myself but I end up finding dodgy user reviews mentioning everything from potentiometers failing within a year of usage or other significant wear and tear occuring without even roughhousing the joystick itself, so I'm really conscious of not wanting to waste $100 on something that'll practically break by me just looking at it strangely.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about getting a joystick without twist and then get a set of pedals for the rudder/twist control?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 10, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That sounds incredibly awkward to use, I make use of twist to turn even faster than just moving the joystick in the desired direction. (yes Urban Assault permits people to do this, the game was designed to do that to begin with)

I used to have pedals but it belongs to something that was gameport only. It was to a old Logitech steering wheel controller I used for Need for Speed games.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro has a hat and a handle twist. It's also fully symmetrical and has optical sensors, so it's pretty reliable. The main downside it won't fully work under DOS, and it's handle is on a smaller side, so not for everyone.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 10, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote on 2020-07-09, 22:37:

Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro

Wow, that thing looks really odd. The shape overall looks fine but I'm a bit concerned about the base of it, I might not have enough room on my desk to put two of them on each end...

I also still have a Microsoft Sidewinder, but no gameports. I don't know how reliable these "gameport -> USB" converter boxes work either.

I'm aiming to just get USB joysticks to not have to additionally get a gameport converter.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about the MAD CATZ V.1 STICK or the Saitek Aviator Flightstick?

The gameport to USB adapters are kind of hit and miss. You have to get one that people have specifically reviewed that doesn't cause a bunch of controller lag.

The pedals I am talking about are not pedals that are meant specifically for racing. There are pedals that are meant more for flying games... The CH Pro Pedals can be used for either... you have the normal action like for racing games and then you also have the rudder type action where the whole pedal moves forward and back.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 10, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-07-09, 23:49:

The gameport to USB adapters are kind of hit and miss. You have to get one that people have specifically reviewed that doesn't cause a bunch of controller lag.

Isn't another problem basically, what if the joystick uses some proprietary operation that can't be genercized easily?

That Saitek one looks interesting, I might take a closer look at everything they offer.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 10, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-07-09, 23:59:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-07-09, 23:49:

Isn't another problem basically, what if the joystick uses some proprietary operation that can't be genercized easily?

That Saitek one looks interesting, I might take a closer look at everything they offer.

saitek made some decent sticks back in the day, There's also the Thrustmaster T16000M but that's fairly modern

The sidewinder sticks don't work well with the adapters unless its the old dumb sidewinder without logic same shape as the 3d pro but not as much functionality.

Reply 8 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about a different setup?

Keep your right handed joystick, but get an additional gameboard, like Saitek Cyborg Command, Logitech G13 or Belkin Nostromo.

When I played World of Warcraft, I used my wife and me used gameboards (right hand on mouse, left hand on gameboard). I used the mouse to look and click, and the gameboard to push hotkeys and move.

Maybe you could use the tiny joystick as a mouse, the keys at hotkeys and your valued joystick... as a joystick.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 10, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-07-10, 07:39:

saitek made some decent sticks back in the day, There's also the Thrustmaster T16000M but that's fairly modern

The sidewinder sticks don't work well with the adapters unless its the old dumb sidewinder without logic same shape as the 3d pro but not as much functionality.

Yeah, I might see if these modern Saitek joysticks are worth the pricetag.

I wonder if a gameport -> USB adapter will even work on a regular Microsoft Sidewinder? The one where the throttle is a wheel, and the base is rather fat and amorphous in shape. I'd love to get more service out of that thing on modern PC hardware if I can...

Zup wrote on 2020-07-10, 09:16:
What about a different setup? […]
Show full quote

What about a different setup?

Keep your right handed joystick, but get an additional gameboard, like Saitek Cyborg Command, Logitech G13 or Belkin Nostromo.

When I played World of Warcraft, I used my wife and me used gameboards (right hand on mouse, left hand on gameboard). I used the mouse to look and click, and the gameboard to push hotkeys and move.

Maybe you could use the tiny joystick as a mouse, the keys at hotkeys and your valued joystick... as a joystick.

That wont work with Urban Assault. The GUI is mouse & keyboard driven, as can the ingame controls but the game was made to control the units with the joystick specifically while being able to still hotkey certain actions to keyboard and order units on the minimap, not to mention reposition the GUI anyway you see fit.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 10, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been using a pretty cheap saitek cyborg evo on my modern PC for ages, the only thing that had worn out on it was the throttle lever that isn't always holding position if you take your hand away.