Technological critique

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 164, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-03-30, 15:25:

For higher end cards that prioritize DP, just get a $5 passive DP to HDMI dongle.

You should go active if your display is anything above 1920x1080, as most passive adapters max out there.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 142 of 164, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dnewhous wrote on 2021-03-30, 18:55:

This is a nitpick, but is 1920 by 1080 really an optimum resolution?

No, Real computer-o-philes use 2048x2048 😁

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 143 of 164, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dnewhous wrote on 2021-03-30, 18:55:

This is a nitpick, but is 1920 by 1080 really an optimum resolution?

Yes, actually. It is internationally a standard resolution for all sorts of media, and if steam hardware surveys are to be believed, is still the standard resolution for a laptop and or desktop monitor by a large margin. I pointed out the need for an active adapter because even 2560x1080 can be a problem for passive ones.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 145 of 164, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2021-03-30, 18:24:
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-03-30, 15:25:

For higher end cards that prioritize DP, just get a $5 passive DP to HDMI dongle.

You should go active if your display is anything above 1920x1080, as most passive adapters max out there.

I'll admit, I've never used the passive dongles that I so highly recommended in my previous post. Or any DP dongle, really.
I had no clue that they were limited to 1080p. Man, that's pretty lame in this day and age of HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4. Guess they're still conforming to the old single-link DVI standard from 1999!

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 146 of 164, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-03-30, 21:36:

I'll admit, I've never used the passive dongles that I so highly recommended in my previous post. Or any DP dongle, really.
I had no clue that they were limited to 1080p. Man, that's pretty lame in this day and age of HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4. Guess they're still conforming to the old single-link DVI standard from 1999!

It's not too lame, if you remember than 1920x1080 is still the average resolution for monitors. There's also probably just some weirdness going on above that resolution between the monitor and the card that leads to issues. I personally have these kinds of issues, like how the Radeon 9650 my Powermac G4 refuses to display 2560x1080 through a dual-link HDMI adapter without major issues, despite it being under the 2560x1600 max resolution of dual-link DVI and selectable as a resolution in the OS.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 147 of 164, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dnewhous wrote on 2021-03-30, 16:58:

Even cheap desktop speakers sound good now.

Even cheap desktop speakers sound better than LCD ones.

I have some cheap Logitech speakers, and although they sound way better than any display mounted ones they still sound worse than my (cheap, about 120€) radio/cd player combo. Surely, they're good enough for gaming and voice applications but not for music.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 148 of 164, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2021-03-30, 08:05:
I think recent generations have enough bandwidth to support PCIe 4.0 x1 even, but I'm not certain which spec revision is actuall […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2021-03-30, 07:13:

Thunderbold.. That PCIe 1.x slot in cable form. *shudder* 😟

I think recent generations have enough bandwidth to support PCIe 4.0 x1 even, but I'm not certain which spec revision is actually implemented. It can run DisplayPort in parallel, and now I think also USB.

Jo22 wrote on 2021-03-30, 07:13:

And I was used to be excited when Intel announced optical i/o in the form of Lightpeak

Yeah, me too. I think the optical connectivity was just unreliable unless you were limiting it to very short lengths or very expensive cabling. Take a look how much an optical module + cable for 10Gb Ethernet cost, for instance...

Well, yes. What's good about optical connections, though : no crosstalk, no radio interference (RFI), high bandwith, low latency.
But alas, people keep using copper connections, which are a dead end really. 😔

Edit: http://southgatearc.org/news/2021/march/radio … rom-usb-3-0.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 150 of 164, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dnewhous wrote on 2021-03-31, 14:36:

S/PDIF is newer than Toslink.

Toslink is a connector and cable type, S/PDIF (IEC 958) is a standard (which covers both the protocol for the DATA and also physical medium and interconnects, including both Toslink and coaxial connectors).

Equipment with Toslink connectors most often transmits S/PDIF compliant DATA (typically audio) .

Toslink can also be used to carry data that is not S/PDIF compliant, such us when used in ADAT Lightpipe .

In the context of most consumer gear (and even some prosumer/pro gear), it is commonly understood, that Toslink implies S/PDIF audio DATA over an optical Toslink physical carrier .

If we want to be pedantic, whether the Toslink connector and cable spec actually predate the S/PDIF (IEC 958) standard and was simply chosen to be part of the said standard from the start or whether Toslink was added to the S/PDIF (IEC 958) standard at a later time is an open question for me . Somebody with access to IEC 958's (or IEC 60958 variants) would probably be able to answer that, at least in part . It is also important to keep in mind that Toslink may have been used to carry S/PDIF even before it became part of the IEC958 standard officially . Also, what the IEC docs will likely not tell us is whether Toslink was used for anything other than transmitting S/PDIF prior to being used for that purpose .

Reply 153 of 164, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I meant in a hypothetical warp drive situation. I.e. ftl.

Also, their speed may be fixed but the frequency and momentum will still shift upwards. That's the concern.

I found a lever behind the tonearm that allows the tonarm to rest on the LP. With the counterweight, the tonearm tends to bounce around.

The only laserdisc players that still seam to sell are the hivision ones, which is what the Pioneer hld-x9 is. However, that platinum color means it was made in Japan, and it 110 volts. The best in North America appears to be the Sony HIL-C1, which is more rarely mentioned. The Runco LJR II is NOT the best laserdisc player for North America but the only one THX certified, in fact I remember the description when it came out as having a 2-D Y/C filter. Cutting themselves out as soon as they listed. The CLD-99 is the best one Pioneer sold in NA. The LD-S9 is the Japanese issue of it. The HLD-X9 is the Hi-vision version of that.

Also, Vienna soundfont studio is back as freeware with a later version than was ever available before.

Aha, found an even better Sony player, the Sony HIL-2CEX.

There's also micro USB which is larger than mini USB and smaller than regular USB. I have no idea what that is supposed to be for.

Another brand back from the dead is Iriver. They were the audiophile choice for portable CD players, better than Sony.

If I were to try to make a list of best laserdisc players it would be

1) Sony HIL-2CEX
2) Pioneer HLD-X9
3) Sony HIL-C1
4) Pioneer CLD-99
5) Ruco LJR II (THX certification)
6) McIntosh MLD-7020

The thing is there is a lot of irrational exuberance over the LD-S9 because of some belief in the inadequacy of the CLD-99 because it didn't implement a 3-D Y/C filter correctly. I could have saved some money if I had bought the CLD-99.

The McIntosh MLD-7020 does not have AC-3 and is supposed to be very nearly a Pioneer CLD-97.

Also, note the CLD-D99 is the European version of the CLD-99.

Very few titles were issued in Hi-vision. If there were even an original edit or something I knew about, I'd say it.

The Sony players are much more rare than the Pioneer ones.

To be more careful than that

VHD - JVC
laser vision - Sony (this is where digital sound was introduced)
laserdisc - Pioneer
laser hi vision - Sony (muse discs)

Kenneth Branagh's version of Hamlet is stunning. It has the only authentic version of the dialog "Get thee to a nunnery" I thought they'd have to attribute the play to the earl guy who supposedly wrote the plays. The whole reason for the controversy is because of traditionally butchered dialog between Hamlet and Ophelia that was in the Mel Gibson version.

In the BBC production, the dialog makes clear that the term "nunnery" is ironic. Hamlet is implying its slang for a brothel.

The BBC also concludes that Ophelia must not be all that pretty for Hamlet to react the way he does. He's mocking that she's a virgin.

The Mel Gibson version has been pulled.

There used to be write ups on the controversy of William Shakespeare's identity. The real controversy was over his identity not over his authenticity!

Anyway, microscope resolution is that 16X11 1920 by 1320. Given the numbers I saw in cub scouts I think that was spot on. The only weird limitation I can think of is the CMYK standard that is part of tif. That should result in the same visible color.

The Y/C filter made it to the wikipedia where it is mentioned under laserdisc players:
The LD-S9 and HLD-X9 share a highly advanced comb filter, allowing them to offer a considerable advantage in picture quality over most other LD players when the S-Video connection is used. The comb filter present in these players is unique and is purportedly the finest comb filter ever used in consumer A/V gear:

The issue even brought to the web whether time is a dimension. It is. Brittannica's description is disheartening

In the face of these difficulties, philosophers tend to divide into two sorts: the “process philosophers” and the “philosophers of the manifold.” Process philosophers—such as Alfred North Whitehead, an Anglo-American mathematician, scientist. and metaphysician who died in 1947—hold that the flow of time (or human advance through it) is an important metaphysical fact. Like the French intuitionist Henri Bergson, they may hold that this flow can be grasped only by nonrational intuition. Bergson even held that the scientific concept of time as a dimension actually misrepresents reality. Philosophers of the manifold hold that the flow of time or human advance through time is an illusion. They argue, for example, that words such as past, future, and now, as well as the tenses of verbs, are indexical expressions that refer to the act of their own utterance. Hence, the alleged change of an event from being future to being past is an illusion.

Anyway, there are 3 highlight scenes in Hamlet that need to be done well

1) When he says "Get thee to a nunnery!" to Ophelia
2) The speech in Act IV scene IV, prince Hamlet gives permission to prince Fortinbras of Norway to cross over the Netherlands and "engage" the Polish army.
3) The speech at the end where he says "tomorrow I will be a grave man!" - apparently this is found in the Mel Gibson version only

Nobody has ever done all 3 well.

2016 Broadway version - I'm watching and Ophelia is not interpreted as a beauty here. That makes more humane. You don't tell the beautiful love of your life to get thee to a nunnery, you might if she's a mockery of what you wanted.
They try to make the beginning more comical with the appearance of the ghost. Almost works. A bit ghostbusterish.

The 1980 BBC production is the best version overall. But it's supposed to be "drink of this potion" not "drink off this potion."

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 154 of 164, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lightning connectors are needed for smart phones. I can find the saved photos on my smartphone easy enough. Is thing Verizon? But Windows 10 does not download automatically from "photos" in the start menu like the instructions say is supposed to work. I don't have Windows 11, though. I need an extension cord for my webcam. K, the webcam is obviously meant to be used on top of the computer. If that's not available, the alternative is an extension cord and placing it on top of a Fellowes monitor riser, which is not that uncommon.

You do not need to install the software from the webcam directly, the Windows "camera" controls are adequate. The capture goes to the "camera roll" folder.

A universal card slot does fit an SD card. I need to use a digital camera.

They have changed newer smart phones, they use mini USB instead of lightning connectors - which was supposed to be an Apple only connector.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 155 of 164, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dunno if this is the right thread for it. Seems to be. I really just want somewhere to quietly rant, that I prefer to play old games displayed like this :

oldandcrap.jpeg
Filename
oldandcrap.jpeg
File size
104.32 KiB
Views
File comment
How old games appear, on a good old CRT, or with appropriate filters on a modern screen
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And not like this :

newandgreat.jpg
Filename
newandgreat.jpg
File size
116.77 KiB
Views
File comment
How old games appear, unfiltered on a modern screen
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 157 of 164, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dnewhous wrote on 2022-05-15, 23:45:

I never had the machine to make the audio work when I was young.

I got my start playing and recording cassette tapes on a machine that was a JIL or Candle badged (North American market) version of the Ferguson 3T07 . If anybody knows the JIL or Candle model number, who it was OEMmed from or any other badges/brand it was sold under, please share that info .

When I turned 6 or 7, I received a PANASONIC RX-90 for my birthday . My mother still has it. The radio still works, but the belt needs changing .

Reply 158 of 164, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think it fits here, but my "technological critique" is about what the Web is today and what is shaping to be in the future. Not looking good. We went from document web to applications web. browsers were meant to "read documents on the web" yet now they are "web apps". Full of frameworks and almost no pure html/css at all. Web 2.0 is *vomits*

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 159 of 164, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2022-05-16, 13:41:

I don't think it fits here, but my "technological critique" is about what the Web is today and what is shaping to be in the future. Not looking good. We went from document web to applications web. browsers were meant to "read documents on the web" yet now they are "web apps". Full of frameworks and almost no pure html/css at all. Web 2.0 is *vomits*

I feel the same. And what's even more irrational is that most of these "web apps" look worse than simple HTML pages.
I find it funny, not to say confusing, that all those modern and minimalistic sites look almost like a blank HTML site,
but require several megabytes (almost) worth of scripted code. 🤷‍♂️

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//