VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgive if this is a dumb question or if someone has already covered this, but lets just say if I wanted to build a website that is based on HTML2 or HTML3, non-https, and can work on older browsers, what kind of tools would I need?

Reply 1 of 11, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The best way would be using a simple HTML editor like VS Code:

https://code.visualstudio.com/

When you build the site, stick to older technologies like CSS2.1 and don't work with Javascript because that may grind old computers to a halt.
You may also need to omit or work around features that were supposed to be useable back in the day if you want to support the Internet Explorer. IE is a special kind of software. And not the good kind of special, meaning it has disabilities.

Here is a cheatsheet for IE6 onwards where you can see which features work or don't:
https://devhints.io/ie

Another great tool for that is:
https://caniuse.com

Have fun. 😀

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 4 of 11, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could do full old-school and avoid CSS entirely and use tables and spacer GIFs to lay out your page. This is how sites were done I'd say up until the extinction of Netscape 4.x (whose CSS support was awful). It would be super compatible with browsers, the downside is it will be painful to navigate on phones.

Reply 5 of 11, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-08-02, 21:17:

Java runtimes won't affect Javascript. Also like flash, many avoid installing that

A question regarding flash, will I still be able to use flash content on my win98 machine after December 2020?

Reply 6 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HTML 2 or 3 means you are targeting IE 3, Netscape 3, and no CSS or Javascript.

IE 5 and 6 is where CSS and JS get more useful.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 7 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Braca862 wrote on 2020-08-02, 22:35:
leileilol wrote on 2020-08-02, 21:17:

Java runtimes won't affect Javascript. Also like flash, many avoid installing that

A question regarding flash, will I still be able to use flash content on my win98 machine after December 2020?

Hi, do you mean the self-destruct "feature"?
As far as I know, older Flash Players should not be affected. For most old Flash games, Player 9/10 should be fine.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 11, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Macromedia Dreamweaver (later bought by Adobe) was very popular back then. Microsoft Frontpage was also used, for some reason.

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 10 of 11, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Braca862 wrote on 2020-08-08, 18:41:

Are there tools or software for Windows 98 that were used to build websites?

Well, you have to distinguish between editing a single web page vs. an entire site. For just editing one page at a time, Netscape Composer, or if you find the latest Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey that runs on Win98, would have been typical free tools.

For maintaining an entire site intelligently as far as building a menu to go to all the different pages, maintaining links between them and so forth, as someone mentioned Dreamweaver was one of the last tools before this got thrown out in favor of CMS systems like WordPress that people use today for similar sites.

However, lots of people did their html by hand back then. It would actually be even easier to do this today, as there are purpose-built template languages like Haml where you write the page in a friendlier syntax than HTML and run a "compiler" to generate the HTML.

Reply 11 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd whip something up in a text editor like PSPad or Notepad++ instead of any nasty generator. But that's me.

Unless you'd like to build something really classy in AOLPress. 😁

Skip HTTPS.