VOGONS

Common searches

Is anyone excited for Big Navi?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 101 of 264, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-09-27, 22:21:
darry wrote on 2020-09-27, 21:36:
I hope you enjoy them and have no issues . […]
Show full quote
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-09-27, 21:07:

I'm buying 2 3090s. Man I love the free market.

I hope you enjoy them and have no issues .

And with 700W of combined TDP, plus that of the CPU(s), you will not be cold this winter thanks to your high tech space heater/PC . 😉

Seriously, what CPU(s) will you be using with those cards ?

Just a 9900k. I've got a 1200W PSU that I'm hoping will do the trick without having to resort to dual PSU.

So, almost 800W TDP, plus board and peripherals, that is indeed nice and toasty, and close to hair dryer territory .

I can't say I'm jealous, but I am happy for you, because this is what you want .

Cheers!

Reply 102 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope he has the firefighter number on speed dial...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 104 of 264, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-09-27, 15:28:

Same for video codecs. Instead of going higher and higher in resolution, settle for something good and ged rid of artifacts and blur. The improvements made in compression should not be used to save bandwith, but to enhance image quality at the same bandwitdh.

Wiser words were never spoken! I've been wondering for at least a decade why resolution is pushed above all else. The goal should be always to enhance image quality. Not waste bandwidth by increasing image resolution at the expense of image quality -- on a pixel for pixel level, or perhaps a 16x16 pixel block level.

This drives me absolutely bonkers, and I basically gave up on modern gaming by 2010 as a result.

Reply 106 of 264, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyzzle wrote on 2020-09-28, 10:36:
Jo22 wrote on 2020-09-27, 15:28:

Same for video codecs. Instead of going higher and higher in resolution, settle for something good and ged rid of artifacts and blur. The improvements made in compression should not be used to save bandwith, but to enhance image quality at the same bandwitdh.

Wiser words were never spoken! I've been wondering for at least a decade why resolution is pushed above all else. The goal should be always to enhance image quality. Not waste bandwidth by increasing image resolution at the expense of image quality -- on a pixel for pixel level, or perhaps a 16x16 pixel block level.

This drives me absolutely bonkers, and I basically gave up on modern gaming by 2010 as a result.

It isn't though? Game developers consistently down-prioritize resolution in favor of other graphical effects.

TV and monitor manufacturers haven't been pushing resolution for a decade either. They stayed at 1920x1080 for a long while even when it was severely outdated (it's almost the same resolution as 1600x1200, which we had long before 1920x1080 became the "standard"). Their priorities have been panel size and 3D (TV) and probably something I forgot.

Streaming services also dragged their feet on 4K.

A lot of things have taken priority over resolution.

kolderman wrote on 2020-09-28, 10:46:

Marketing. People are stupid and bigger number means Better.

Or people just like different things. Calling people stupid for not liking the same things you do is abnormal.

Reply 107 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-09-28, 05:26:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-09-28, 04:38:

I'm not getting a Mac book pro...dont worry about fires.

I have never seen a MBP on fire, simply because they are throttled, since the poor, silly Intel can’t solve their own thermal issues, Apple has to do it, one of the reasons why they are dropping Intel. In ten years using Apple products, I have never had a single issue, never had to take it to the store to be fixed and always took care of it, selling it forward like brand new. iPhones, iPads, iPods, Macs. Zero problems.

But Intel PCs yes, I’ve seen LOTS of reports... I’ve had LOTS of problems with intel/amd pcs built from zero. I’ve even returned a Dell G5 15 to the store after three months of usage, shutdown issues. Intel was even caught using cheap thermal paste with the old Ivy Bridge in the past. *rolleyes*

Just accept the fact that you do not need all that “power” for a few silly games that can run on 4k and “ultra” settings with less powerful and cheap hardware. LESS IS MORE! More money for you to do or buy other good stuff. It’s just smart money management. My talk was always about that. Instead you prefer to throw it away. Or treat it like a PC vs Mac war. Fine, it’s your money. But doing that you’re not helping others and yourself.

What I do not accept is the practice of abusive prices for a GPU (and other hardware as well) so I always balance cost/benefits when I look for parts or a notebook. If a game will run perfect with certain specs, then I will buy the minimum spec possible while keeping the good graphics and performance. Buying an i9, new GPU, 800 or 1200W PSU every year because new games require higher specs is just bad money management and stupidity.

You can call me a cheapskate if you want, I’d rather be a cheapskate than an idiot throwing money away like the “Wolf of Wall Street”. I could buy the same computer you’re saying you will, I have the money and the resources, but I am not an idiot and I can manage my money well. The reason why I have the money for that is because I can manage it. Especially when USD 1,00 = BRL 6,00.

leonardo-dicaprio-wolf-of-wall-street-money.gif

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 109 of 264, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-09-28, 02:37:

60 fps is very optimistic, I would say 30 fps 😜

There's probably some truth to that. Flight Sim is such a CPU hog and seems to have a bit of difficulty scaling past...what is it, 6 threads? You need like 5GHz of clockspeed and a super high-end GPU to get a really smooth experience. Hope they can improve on the CPU side of things with future patches.

liqmat wrote on 2020-09-28, 14:56:

Good for you and enjoy them, but please start a thread on it once you get your build going. I personally would like to see your performance results.

SAME! I'm going to be upgrading from a 1080Ti to a mere single 3080 in the near future, but I'd love to see what a pair of 3090s can do. It'd be really interesting to see if nVidia's new multi-GPU protocol is any better than SLI in terms of microstuttering and performance scaling.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 111 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-09-28, 14:13:
I have never seen a MBP on fire, simply because they are throttled, since the poor, silly Intel can’t solve their own thermal is […]
Show full quote
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-09-28, 05:26:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-09-28, 04:38:

I'm not getting a Mac book pro...dont worry about fires.

I have never seen a MBP on fire, simply because they are throttled, since the poor, silly Intel can’t solve their own thermal issues, Apple has to do it, one of the reasons why they are dropping Intel. In ten years using Apple products, I have never had a single issue, never had to take it to the store to be fixed and always took care of it, selling it forward like brand new. iPhones, iPads, iPods, Macs. Zero problems.

But Intel PCs yes, I’ve seen LOTS of reports... I’ve had LOTS of problems with intel/amd pcs built from zero. I’ve even returned a Dell G5 15 to the store after three months of usage, shutdown issues. Intel was even caught using cheap thermal paste with the old Ivy Bridge in the past. *rolleyes*

Just accept the fact that you do not need all that “power” for a few silly games that can run on 4k and “ultra” settings with less powerful and cheap hardware. LESS IS MORE! More money for you to do or buy other good stuff. It’s just smart money management. My talk was always about that. Instead you prefer to throw it away. Or treat it like a PC vs Mac war. Fine, it’s your money. But doing that you’re not helping others and yourself.

What I do not accept is the practice of abusive prices for a GPU (and other hardware as well) so I always balance cost/benefits when I look for parts or a notebook. If a game will run perfect with certain specs, then I will buy the minimum spec possible while keeping the good graphics and performance. Buying an i9, new GPU, 800 or 1200W PSU every year because new games require higher specs is just bad money management and stupidity.

You can call me a cheapskate if you want, I’d rather be a cheapskate than an idiot throwing money away like the “Wolf of Wall Street”. I could buy the same computer you’re saying you will, I have the money and the resources, but I am not an idiot and I can manage my money well. The reason why I have the money for that is because I can manage it. Especially when USD 1,00 = BRL 6,00.

leonardo-dicaprio-wolf-of-wall-street-money.gif

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/macbook-recall-a … and-burn-risks/

Reply 112 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2020-09-28, 15:43:
There's probably some truth to that. Flight Sim is such a CPU hog and seems to have a bit of difficulty scaling past...what is i […]
Show full quote

There's probably some truth to that. Flight Sim is such a CPU hog and seems to have a bit of difficulty scaling past...what is it, 6 threads? You need like 5GHz of clockspeed and a super high-end GPU to get a really smooth experience. Hope they can improve on the CPU side of things with future patches.

liqmat wrote on 2020-09-28, 14:56:

Good for you and enjoy them, but please start a thread on it once you get your build going. I personally would like to see your performance results.

SAME! I'm going to be upgrading from a 1080Ti to a mere single 3080 in the near future, but I'd love to see what a pair of 3090s can do. It'd be really interesting to see if nVidia's new multi-GPU protocol is any better than SLI in terms of microstuttering and performance scaling.

Sorry guys the timeline for this occurring is onhold, I just got the order canceled by the location so as of right now I have 0 3090s =). I will be hunting though.

Reply 115 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2020-09-28, 15:43:

I don't think they will (improve). It will only get worse from this point, demanding higher specs.

A friend is running the game with a 1070 ti. His computer went kaput days later with a cooling issue. Meanwhile, I'm fine with FS 98...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 117 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-29, 15:59:

Apparently RTX 3000 series launch flopped hilariously bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bUUEEe-X8

3080 and the new driver corrects it for the cards that can't ramp that high.