VOGONS

Common searches

Is anyone excited for Big Navi?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 180 of 264, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-10-13, 18:00:

2) I can’t really tell that difference. I’d never know if you haven’t mentioned that. For me it is one more reason not to get a 3xxx and keep a 1xxx series card.

Motion blur has nothing to do with graphic cards, it's pretty much free, but it makes drastic changes to image quality, so it ruins any chance of comparison.

3) my question this time was directed towards graphics quality, not performance

Those two are linked though, more performance and you can set graphic quality higher. The resolution of the RTX 3080 could be increased quite a bit and still run as well as the GTX 1070.

Reply 181 of 264, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2020-10-13, 13:51:

Since we're still receiving multiple reports on this thread I'll step in and just say that yes, people have a view and opinion like Bruninho that he only buys what he perceives as his need. Respect that. Same goes for Bruninho, respect that someone want to spend money on the latest and greatest. This thread have evolved into an offtopic discussion from its title and starting point which is the Nvidia 3000 series launch. Please stop this offtopic discussion, or let us mods know if you want to split it out into a separate thread.

yea, i'm not going to even bother to read anything in this thread and unsub.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 182 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2020-10-13, 18:20:

3) my question this time was directed towards graphics quality, not performance

Those two are linked though, more performance and you can set graphic quality higher. The resolution of the RTX 3080 could be increased quite a bit and still run as well as the GTX 1070.

Yes, I agree on that. I think we can finish the discussion here with no clear winner like the moderator said in a previous post and we now enter in a subjective opinion. For me, the GTX 1070 is enough, considering price vs benefit and that I cannot differentiate the graphics quality between the RTX 3080 and GTX 1070. For others their mileage may vary. But I still do NOT agree with the prices being practiced by both NVIDIA and AMD on these cards and I still think that we should do what I talked about in previous pages to bring these prices down.

So to answer the question in this thread: "Is anyone excited for the NVIDIA 3000 series cards"? My answer is a clear and loud "No".

BTW, ZellSF, if you are still interested, when my friend is back from work, I'll send to you via PM (since the discussion related to this thread is already over in my opinion) his videos with his GTX 1070 so you can check. He has FS 2020 videos as well. Then you can check the quality of the stuff that is being used/sold here in Brazil with these prices.

EDIT: Some people really need to understand that price is one of the key factors to consider when answering the question of this topic. The price is relevant. Not just performance, graphics quality and technology. If anyone felt annoyed by that, I cannot say anything more than "sorry", but I am a person of strong opinions and principles. I do not go where everyones goes, so... 🤷🏻‍♂️

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 183 of 264, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-10-13, 20:05:

EDIT: Some people really need to understand that price is one of the key factors to consider when answering the question of this topic. The price is relevant. Not just performance, graphics quality and technology. If anyone felt annoyed by that, I cannot say anything more than "sorry", but I am a person of strong opinions and principles. I do not go where everyones goes, so... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Who said price was irrelevant?

Reply 184 of 264, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Obviously these conversations of being excited about the 30 series are all silly until there are actually cards available to buy, the prices have settled (still going north, think £850 instead of the £700 MSRP), and once we have seen what Big Navi can do. Most people don't spend £850 / $900 on GPU's, so we will have to see if the 3060's and 3050's can justify their prices. With the new consoles costing £350-£400 and packing amazing horsepower, if Nvidia are considering pricing their mid range cards at silly prices (again), it might make people realize buying a console instead might make more sense.

Just hoping that there is something decent from AMD (and Nvidia) in the £250-£350 bracket that destroys the RX 5700XT / RTX 2070S.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 185 of 264, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Iris030380 wrote on 2020-10-14, 19:11:

Obviously these conversations of being excited about the 30 series are all silly until there are actually cards available to buy, the prices have settled (still going north, think £850 instead of the £700 MSRP), and once we have seen what Big Navi can do. Most people don't spend £850 / $900 on GPU's, so we will have to see if the 3060's and 3050's can justify their prices. With the new consoles costing £350-£400 and packing amazing horsepower, if Nvidia are considering pricing their mid range cards at silly prices (again), it might make people realize buying a console instead might make more sense.

Just hoping that there is something decent from AMD (and Nvidia) in the £250-£350 bracket that destroys the RX 5700XT / RTX 2070S.

Totally agree with you on this.

For me prices like that are totally out of my league 🤣. I'd rather spend that money on a good bike.

It's usually best to wait and see how a hyped release like this one pans out. Wouldn't be the first time it turned into a disappointment.

I haven't read everything here, but I find it kinda odd that there apparently was some namecalling involved? I mean this is a company releasing a GPU, come on. It's not worth arguing for.

Personally I'd probably go mid-range (if more normal pricing), if only because the (for my taste) huge power consumption is an issue for me.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 189 of 264, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Iris030380 wrote on 2020-10-14, 19:11:

Well the 3080 is more reasonably priced than the 2080, so the mid range cards will probably be priced more reasonably, unless you're another one of those "never pay more than 100$ for a graphic card" types.

I'm really curious what Nvidia feels more threatened by though, AMD graphic cards or consoles.

kolderman wrote on 2020-10-14, 19:42:

My rule is simple - only aim to play games up to 5 years ago. That way can always stick with midrange cards....our steam libraries are big enough right?

I mostly play old games. Still planning to take plenty of advantage of the RTX 3080 with them. I just tried Midtown Madness for example, due to problems with its rendering I felt I had to render it at 15360x8640. Ok that was a bad example since my GTX 1070 handles that fine. Just barely though and that was a 1999 title. When I get around to 2015 titles it's going to get more problematic.

The only reason my GTX 1070 was adequate for that game was G-Sync. That's such a nice feature when Nvidia doesn't break it every second driver release.

Reply 190 of 264, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://wccftech.com/asus-showcases-stunning- … riced-2500-usd/

I'm wondering what the extra $1,000 adds? I guess if gundam fans buy this then asus must really know their market.

Guess the people responsible for this will buy one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuGSbExIC4

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 192 of 264, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 3000 series doesn't seem to have an additional VGA or DVI-I port..
So no, I'm not really excited for this series at the moment.
With this card, I can't use a nice big CRT or KVM switch anymore. Unless I get one of these HDMI-VGA converters, which are of varying quality.
Also, the power consumption.. The card does require an equally powerful PC (-> monstrous PSU..), which I couldn't afford anyway.
I think I'd rather get an "old" 750Ti with max. memory. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 193 of 264, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-20, 06:03:
The 3000 series doesn't seem to have an additional VGA or DVI-I port.. So no, I'm not really excited for this series at the mome […]
Show full quote

With this card, I can't use a nice big CRT or KVM switch anymore. Unless I get one of these HDMI-VGA converters, which are of varying quality.
Also, the power consumption.. The card does require an equally powerful PC (-> monstrous PSU..), which I couldn't afford anyway.

Welcome to the club! I just sold my 750ti OC though... it had 2GB or 1GB vram, I don’t even remember now. 🤷🏻‍♂️

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 195 of 264, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah here's my AMD prediction, big NAVI gets within 10% of the 3080s performance and runs hot as hell. This is always what AMD/NVidia do when they are outclassed, ramp the frequency and drive the thermals to oblivion.

BTW I've yet to see my 3090 go over 70C, so despite the wattage it pulls I can say the NVidia cooling solution does an excellent job of managing the thermals and I've never even heard the cards fans though I have seen them run at up to 1400 RPMs through monitoring software.

Reply 196 of 264, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heat and noise is now much more of a concern than it was before having been spoilt by quiet cards over the last few years. Of course the cards cooling could be great but if it just dumps the heat into the case my case fans have to work extra hard!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 197 of 264, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-20, 06:03:
The 3000 series doesn't seem to have an additional VGA or DVI-I port.. So no, I'm not really excited for this series at the mome […]
Show full quote

Analogue output (VGA/DVI-I) was dropped a few generations ago by both Nvidia and AMD. I don't expect it to make a comeback.

EDIT: I imagine an OEM could make a card with an onboard converter to add VGA out, though I do not see that happening much except possibly on cards meant for niche applications .

Here is a tested list of digital to VGA converters. http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=Anal … ptions_for_OSSC

Reply 199 of 264, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-10-15, 16:13:

I'm really curious what Nvidia feels more threatened by though, AMD graphic cards or consoles.

They should feel threatened by both. The 20XX series pricing was ridiculous from the start, Jensens promised 120+ RTX games after 18 months fell short by ... 111 games. The 2070 was selling for £550+ in the UK only for RDNA1 to destroy it for £200 less once released. 2080Ti price was practically double that of the 1080Ti and almost 3 times the price of the 980Ti. Paying Nvidia the same dollar for a GPU that an entire top end gaming rig would have cost 10 years ago proves how much of a circus modern GPU pricing has become in this two horse race. Part of me still believes that Lisa Su is merely Jensen in a wig. Have you guys noticed you never see them on stage together at the same time? Coincidence? I don't think so...

I guess with both new consoles sporting the same day one hardware from AMD, Nvidia might have their work cut out trying to persuade developers to code and optimize for their GPU's, not to mention raytracing implementation. PC gaming market is tiny compared to console markets, developers work on a strict time scale, can they spare the man hours to help Nvidia out? How much will that cost Nvidia? I doubt the cost would be justifiable by sales of the games alone.

Regardless, it's about time we returned to £100-£150 entry level : £150-£300 mid range : £500-£600 top end. That top end has to destroy the console performance, which the 3080 and Biggest Navi should each do, looking at preliminary numbers and considering whats under the hood of the PS5 / XBOX X.

I play mostly old titles too - but it would be nice to be able to play some of those older titles in 4K @ 100Hz on my shiny new TV.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66