VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I tried building a basic XP PC for a few games I wanted to play: Rise of Nations, Halo, Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter (no idea what this is yet), Empire Earth 2....

I wanted something compact. My usual go-to M-ATX 775 and E8500 combo sadly has died (this is the very first "retro" motherboard I bought, so F in chat for this board). I then went for an AM2 Athlon II x3 board but this was really quite loud and hot and has a weird intermittent USB issue, so that build was canned to. Then I moved onto a Socket 939 Athlon 3200+ which was going fine (and nice and quiet using the same modern cooler as the AM2 system, weirdly) but had a very not intermittent USB problem where no usb ports or front panel usb ports would work once I installed various chipset drivers. Both AMD boards with USB issues used Nvidia chipsets coincidentally...

Anyway I considered my Pentium 4 build but couldn't get up the enthusiasm to do a fully IDE build and threw a big sulk and I haven't played anything at all this evening...

ANYWAY

I realised I have quite a mix of AMD and Intel boards (plus 1 fully VIA board).

AMD:
386SX 40
DX2-80
Socket 939
AM2
FM2
Ryzen 2600X
Main PC (3700X)

Intel:
Slot 1
Socket 478
Socket 775 x2
1156 with an i7 860
1155 with some kind of i3

Does your collection tend to be more intel or AMD based?

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 13, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AMD K6
Via C3
AMD Athlon XP
Intel P4
Intel Core2Duo
Intel i7 4790k (modern PC)

So for retro PCs is 2xAMD, 2xIntel, 1xVia, but overall Intel wins. My large (unused) CPU collection is probably pretty evenly split as well.

Reply 2 of 13, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-09-08, 21:10:

Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter (no idea what this is yet)

A bit sad how underappreciated this game is as I quite liked it, wel at least more than Halo which is from the same period but I found Halo to be boring.
It also has an amazingly good soundtrack. Gameplaywise Mace Griffin is fun but nothing special, the seamless transition from FPS to spacesimulator however is nice though.

Ontopic:
I have one unused AMD rig with a 4 core Phenom and 2x in crossfire Radeon HD 6770, maybe I repurpose it to a WinXP machine someday but in all honesty I find liitle use for an XP machine appart from getting some Starforce DRM'ed games to work. Maybe one day I might scavenge a Soundblaster card so I can have me some proper EAX. This PC was my daily driver until 8 years ago when I got my current daily driver.

Further more I have a spare PC that has an AMD FX8350 and a Radeon RX 570 4gb. I don't use it much, mostly during cold winterdays when my livingroom gets too cold to live in.
This PC was more or less in parts thrown in my lap when I was shopping for a powersupply when the one from the Phenom went bad. I got it with a motherboard a Athlon cpu (which I upgraded to the FX8350) and another Radeon HD 6770 (hence the crossfire). The motherboard was damaged as it doesn't give accurate cpu temps, ram can be unstable if not configured correctly and I can overclock the cpu only a tiny bit before it doesn't boot anymore. But it runs fine when it's just left alone.

My current PC, for the last 8 years or so is an Intel i7 4770K with a Radeon RX 580 4gb. The gpu's are more recent but I didn't buy them new, the RX 570 is an ex miner for example. The previous gpu that went in this machine was a GTX 770 2gb. The RX 580 isn't that much faster in my mind but it does use less power.

So all in all I guess I lean more toward AMD but to be honest when looking for parts I just look at what seems to be the best I can get for the money. For videocards I slightly lean toward Nvidia, as for cpu's I couldn't care less though when I used the Phenom I wished I had a good Intel instead as it underperformed in certain games. But now it seems AMD is on top of the cpu hill again.

Reply 3 of 13, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My collection is roughly 50/50 Intel to AMD. The focus of my builds has typically been "best bang for the buck." At least for mainboards and processor. When I had extra "dispensable" income, I would sometimes splurge on a higher end video card. Usually as an upgrade prior to the next build. I might even chronicle my PC journey at some point, but that is a topic for another post and day.

Reply 4 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of my computers historically have been cast-off office machines, so almost entirely Intel. I have only three computers with AMD CPUs, and one of those is a 8088.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 13, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My collection is a pretty fair mix, ‘modern’ systems seem a little Intel weighted but only because I got the retro bug and haven’t rebuilt since 2014. My 5960x is still doing a decent job in the newer games I play.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 6 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not a fan boy (need the competition to keep everyone honest) but I've definitely got a Intel/Nvidia bias, not helped by also having a lot of office cast off's. I haven't purchased a new PC sine 98!
Out of the 13 PC's I have currently setup. I only have the 5x86 and Slot A representing AMD with no real plans of getting more.

Reply 7 of 13, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strangely i have some AMD 486DX2/66 3volt clones. And few Cyrix 486 cpus in a box, but everything else is mainly Pentium MMX and Pentium 3. I have some non MMX pentiums and Pentium 2-s. But i can allways unerclock and throttle. And have lower voltages and wattages.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 8 of 13, by alfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never owned a single AMD machine, with a possible but highly unlikely exception of a laptop during university years.
So it's quite natural that I pass along everything MicroDevicey that comes my way. Mostly it's just boring integrated 386/40 motherboards with leaky barrels.

But ever since Intel decided to add another zero (0) to its lineup name (i.e. 10900) I've this annoying sensation that something isn't quite right and exciting anymore. Call me old fashioned or brainwashed by the advertising, but this time the technology and presentation do not work together as it used to.

So, should I jump the gun or stay with my wrinkled old wife who sure can cook? This is a question for another day.

Spoiler

Jimmy Soul knows the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBO_10GVf74

Reply 10 of 13, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's quite mixed here in all the years I've been 'computing'.

Running x86 systems at the moment:
- Siemens 8088 (My first system, now with CGA)
- Intel 386SX20 (retro DOS-machine, VGA, Roland RA50 and various other accessoires)
- AMD Ryzen 1700 (Home-server, used to be desktop until I bought 3700X)
- AMD Ryzen 3700X (Main PC)
- AMD FX 9590 (Secondary PC; I have faster (Intel) hardware around but as CPU-collector/geek the FX9590 is more interesting)
- Intel Pentium III 450 (retro Win98, Voodoo3 PC)
- Intel Pentium 100 (retro DOS/Win95-machine, Roland SC-55, almost all internal parts are dated 1995)
- Intel Core M 5Y10c (laptop)

Summary
4x Intel, 3x AMD, 1x Siemens

If I had to answer this question in 2016 it would've been 6x Intel, 1x AMD and 1x Siemens 😉.

I've checked the numbers in my CPU-collection:
Intel: 54%
AMD: 36%
Cyrix: 4%
VIA: 1%

Less than 1%, some brands I never had running in a system for a longer period 😀.
Chips and Technologies, Fujitsu, Harris, IBM, IDT, Intersil, Kvazar, NEC, NexGen, Siemens, SGS Thomson, Rise, Texas Instruments and UMC.

Last edited by Thandor on 2020-09-24, 18:07. Edited 1 time in total.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 11 of 13, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I first started collecting I stuck with AMD for 386/486 builds and Intel for OEM machines of that era.

During the Pentium I,II,III era I was using Intel so I collected some AMD Athlon and Sempron boards plus a couple Celerons ones.

I snagged a boatload of Athlon 64, Socket 939, and Opteron motherboards over the years and then AM2+ and AM3 board and only recently have I started collecting P4 and Core2 boards and systems.

Can't really say what the split is between AMD and Intel is these days except that my laptop collecting is 99% Intel. OEM desktop systems are mostly Intel for obvious reasons.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 13 of 13, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These days, whatever's cheapest. I'm pretty CPU Agnostic. There was a time when I preferred "intel" but that was mostly because I'd had some bad experiences with Cyrix, AMD, and IBM processors, they just seemed a bit slower, buggier, and janky to me - but this was way back when my "main" computer would be some cast-off old 486 or Pentium I cobbled together out of someone else's "junk".

TBH I don't even know WHAT my main computer is anymore, I have so bleegin many, modern and vintage. People just keep dropping their old computers on me, and then I "hot rod" them and make them my own. Then there comes a time I pass them along to a new happy home where they usually see many more years of use.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/